Hotel Premier & Suites

Expedia.com Venere.com Booking.com

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

More about Milano Marittima

Cesenatico, Trabaccolo "Giovanni Pascoli"Cesenatico, Trabaccolo "Giovanni Pascoli"

James and John, looking at JesusJames and John, looking at Jesus

Net waiting to be placed in the water, CesenaticoNet waiting to be placed in the water, Cesenatico

Travel Tips for Milano Marittima

Milano Marittima - pearl of the Adriatic sea :-)

by Trekki

My short trip to Milano Marittima was more of a time travel and curiosity than the real desire to stay at the Adriatic Coast. But…. well, I maybe even come back to explore more, as this part of Italy is sadly somehow misjudged.
So it was a bit of a time travel. The cute girl in the second photo didn’t actually know that it would turn out to todays’ brat and be more of a hiker (aka Trekki) than of a beach person. But she obviously liked water and playing in the sand….
My parents were among the huge wave of German tourists who flooded the Adriatic sea towns in the post war times of end 50s, early 60s when this part of Italy became known as Teutonengrill (or Teuton barbecue). They took me in 1963 and we went later in the early 70s when my sister was little. I have some memories of the early days, of a quiet relaxing little town with loads of ice cream and hopping into the water. It was all clean these days. Later, this part of Italy became more and more popular and at a point in time it happened what tends to happen when too many people want to be in the same spot at the same time: the water got more and more polluted as were the beaches. And… this made many of the Teutons stay away and look for new barbecue grounds. But the region did a lot over the years to improve water quality, the beaches were kept clean all the time, strict rules were put up and the famous umbrellas and sun chairs were set up neatly in order to bring the Teutons back (who love order……, haha). But there was another effect all this restoring of reputation brought along: the Italians refused to feed the Teutons with “Teuton” food and proudly got back to making clear that this is Italy and not another Teutonic branch as sadly are some of the Balearic islands.
I was very much relieved to see this part of the world where I have spend my first holiday clean and really nice again and moreover that it was not "Teutonized" but has its own identity.

Milano Marittima is part of the Comune di Cervia and as a village quite new. It originates from early 20th century when the wealthy Milano family Maffei provided land north of Cervia to build mansions, parks and gardens and create an exclusive resort. Thus the name: Milano Marittima, something like Milano at the sea. I have read that the Italian architect Guiseppe Palanti was involved, who has implemented many ideas of British garden architecture pioneer Ebenezer Howard. This implied that the hotels and houses were embedded into the existing pine forests which surround Milano Marittima. And this gives it still today the impression of a very green resort at the Adriatic sea.

And if you like to find out that Milano Marittima and its mother city Cervia have more to offer than just only beaches – join me on a virtual tour please.

One "warning" though:
I should mention that this spirit, my writing reflects, was typical for April 2008 and most probably other Aprils or early or late season. I am almost sure that this serene atmosphere is gone during the high season months of July and August.

Next stop on my April 2008 trip was the small but beautiful Le Marche hilltop village of San Leo, where I was introduced to the magic wonder of cooking :-)

All pictures have been taken by me, if not marked otherwise.
Please do not use any of them without my permission.
The same applies for my writings here.
Thanks.