Astoria Executive Hotel

Astoria Residence Hotel
Booking.com Venere.com Expedia.com

Costs 60% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Parma

Bell Tower of San Ludovico, Parma, June 2010Bell Tower of San Ludovico, Parma, June 2010

Santa Maria della Steccata, Dome, ParmaSanta Maria della Steccata, Dome, Parma

Cloisters, San Giovanni Evangelista, Parma, 6/2010Cloisters, San Giovanni Evangelista, Parma, 6/2010

Minimondi Fabric Tree, Parma, June 2010Minimondi Fabric Tree, Parma, June 2010

Parma Hotels

by iccuf

Any hotel suggestion? I'm open to nice and modern or small quaint family run inns.

by mccalpin

How about neither? ;-)

We have stayed at the Hotel Palace Maria Luigia in Parma - see http://www.palacemarialuigia.com/hotel-in-parma/luxury-hotel-parma.html

I didn't realize that they consider it a 'luxury' hotel, but it was nice enough. My mother-in-law had a really neat single room that must have been on the top floor, since it was roof-height with the rest of the city...and it was an interestingly shaped room as well (and quite large for one person - I think it was larger than our double).

There is a restaurant onsite where we had Thanksgiving Day dinner some years ago...no turkey on the menu ;-) But, of course, this being Italy, there will be restaurants, bars, pizzerias, and all that everywhere. We ate one evening at a pizzeria down the street, and were surely the only foreigners in the place (it had loud music, bright lights, a lots of college students, one of whom sat at the next table staring at us...I am hoping it was because of our accents and not because my zipper was undone ;-) )...

The hotel is on the edge of the city center, so eminently walkable. I had forgotten that the train station is only 300 meters away (we drove). Although we had a car and I like driving in Italy, we didn't bother in the city - we walked everywhere.

So, maybe more upscale than you wanted, but it was a nice enough place...

Bill

by iccuf

Thank you, Bill. I will check that out. It's always good to hear first hand from someone who has stayed there.

by i-bella

The Hotel Verdi is small and family run, but it is not an inn, it is a very nice hotel. Not cheap. It is also on the border of the city centre and you reach the sights walking across the Parco Ducale. There is parking space if you have a car, and if you come by train the taxi from the station is around 5 euros.

by Manara

I have never slept in any hotels in my hometown, but I often have guests that need accommodation, so I can provide some information.
The Palace Hotel Maria Luigia, described by Bill, is rated 4-star and its location is very convenient.
One of the most recent hotels in town is the Grand Hotel de la Ville. Even if it is rated 5 stars it frequently offers discounts and special offers. Like the Palace, it is on the border of the city centre, but on the Eastern side. I met an American visitor who was staying there and was enthusiastic about the hotel providing bycicles for its guests.
Another visitor told me she was very pleased with the Century Hotel, close to the railway station. It has been completely renovated (I should say transformed) and my only worry was about noise, because there is a big building site nearby, but she told me there was no noise during her stay.

Travel Tips for Parma

Where to buy a matchticket

by Calcio

There are ticket-office outside the stadium where you can buy the tickets on matchdays. Tickets are also sold in advance via www.ticketone.it. Normally the games aren’t sold out.
For a neutral spectator the longside stands (tribuna centrale est/ovest/centrale) is the best seats, but also the most expensive. For cheaper tickets try to go to one of the curves, or “distinti laterali”, which is in between the curva and the longside stands.

The lifestyle is so different...

by Cutypie

The lifestyle is so different compared to Finland. People go out to eat late in the evening, families with the children and couples together, hand in hand. They are also very elegant when they are out and I sometimes felt, like I am watching a fashion show! AlsoI noticed how even men hugs each others when they see each others and really good friends (male) even kissed each others! Very nice for a stiff Scandinavian like me...!

Salsomaggiore is a very...

by lichinga

Salsomaggiore is a very important spa centres 30 km away from Parma, at the foot of the hills. It is not the spot illustrated in this picture, but a medium-sized town with several hotels of any possible category.

The Duomo

by Manara

The Duomo, ie the Cathedral, is in the Romanesque style. It was completed in 1106, but several additions were made later.
Inside there is a famous bas-relief by Benedetto Antelami. The frescoes instead were added in the 16th century. Antonio Allegri, aka Il Correggio, is the author of the big fresco in the vault. His idea was imitated by many followers, but he was the first artist to paint a ceiling as if it were open and you could see the Heaven through it. This Heaven is a bit crowded and there is a lot of visible flesh, as the Virgin Mary seems to be the only fully clothed figure.

Duomo - inside: architecture

by Mikebond

The inside of the cathedral is imposing. It is full with all sorts of decorations: paintings, sculptures, frescoes. You will be astonished to see them in a Romanesque church and you would be right. The interior is not romanesque at all, but manneristic (mannerism is the artistic style between Gothic and baroque). I will not write here all the masterpieces you can admire in the church.
These pictures show the nave, the frescoes on the arcades, near the high altar and on the domes. Sorry for their bad quality.

Comments