Italians don’t have the culture for breakfast
Many Italians don’t have breakfast at all and drink only an espresso. if they do, they don’t take more than 5-10 min. We have caffelatte and biscuits or toasted bread with jams or cakes but do never take any cheese or ham or egg. Just if we are in an hotel with an international buffet, we could eat such stuff but never think to have them at home. Considering that we are in a hurry when we go to work (if you still think that life in Italy is relaxed come to my region and see how people is ALWAYS in a hurry), it’s popular to have breakfast in bar. The typical breakfast in bar is CAPPUCCINO+PASTA. CAPPUCCINO is made of weaped milk and espresso; the name is because its color remind the hut of certain monks.For pasta we don’t mean spaghetti but pastry. they costs from 2 € up to 2,50 € but you have to be standing. If you want to sit and being served by a waiter, the cost can be much higher. In my personal opinion I’d like to sit with a newspaper but without being served; in a such a way you shouldn’t pay extra. The PASTA can be a croissant or a Danish (but we call it Swedish!!!) or a madeleine (how could I forget Marcel Proust writing of what their taste could remind him) or many others.
I’ll write down bars in the Old Town where you can have, in my opinion, a very nice CAPPUCCINO and PASTA:
1. PASTICCERIA TORINESE via Fornaciari, near S.Prospero square. It’s a huge pastry and chocolate shop as well. Do not sit, it would be bloody expensive. Just stand or take away.
2. PASTICCERIA LIGUABUE via Emilia S. Pietro, in from of S. Pietro church
3. ANTICO CAFFE’ DEL TEATRO via S. Rocco, corner via Crispi
4. CAFFE’ TOSTATO via Emilia S. Pietro (same owner and same products of number 1)
5. GUIDELLI CAFFE’ via Guidelli
6. TORREFAZIONE LA MESSICANA via Farini, near to public library, full of studends. No great variety of pastry, no possibility to sit but great coffee. You can buy coffee for your home coffee machine at home as well
7. CAFFE EUROPA, Prampolini Square (town hall’s square); nice for cocktail, as well.