Metropolis Hotel

Via Fratelli Cervi 71, Reggio Emilia, 42100, Italy
Metropolis Hotel
Expedia.com

More about Reggio Emilia

Follow Mahhattan to the Trattoria SerenaFollow Mahhattan to the Trattoria Serena

from the site www.urbanlife.itfrom the site www.urbanlife.it

pic from Trekkipic from Trekki

Inside the bigger oneInside the bigger one

Travel Tips for Reggio Emilia

Italians don’t have the culture for breakfast

by PALLINA

Many Italians don’t have breakfast at all and drink only an espresso. if they do, they don’t take more than 5-10 min. We have caffelatte and biscuits or toasted bread with jams or cakes but do never take any cheese or ham or egg. Just if we are in an hotel with an international buffet, we could eat such stuff but never think to have them at home. Considering that we are in a hurry when we go to work (if you still think that life in Italy is relaxed come to my region and see how people is ALWAYS in a hurry), it’s popular to have breakfast in bar. The typical breakfast in bar is CAPPUCCINO+PASTA. CAPPUCCINO is made of weaped milk and espresso; the name is because its color remind the hut of certain monks.For pasta we don’t mean spaghetti but pastry. they costs from 2 € up to 2,50 € but you have to be standing. If you want to sit and being served by a waiter, the cost can be much higher. In my personal opinion I’d like to sit with a newspaper but without being served; in a such a way you shouldn’t pay extra. The PASTA can be a croissant or a Danish (but we call it Swedish!!!) or a madeleine (how could I forget Marcel Proust writing of what their taste could remind him) or many others.
I’ll write down bars in the Old Town where you can have, in my opinion, a very nice CAPPUCCINO and PASTA:
1. PASTICCERIA TORINESE via Fornaciari, near S.Prospero square. It’s a huge pastry and chocolate shop as well. Do not sit, it would be bloody expensive. Just stand or take away.
2. PASTICCERIA LIGUABUE via Emilia S. Pietro, in from of S. Pietro church
3. ANTICO CAFFE’ DEL TEATRO via S. Rocco, corner via Crispi
4. CAFFE’ TOSTATO via Emilia S. Pietro (same owner and same products of number 1)
5. GUIDELLI CAFFE’ via Guidelli
6. TORREFAZIONE LA MESSICANA via Farini, near to public library, full of studends. No great variety of pastry, no possibility to sit but great coffee. You can buy coffee for your home coffee machine at home as well
7. CAFFE EUROPA, Prampolini Square (town hall’s square); nice for cocktail, as well.

Take a look of Calatrava's bridges

by PALLINA

The famous Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava has been in charge to design a series of bridges in the south of the town, where freeway and railway run. The result is made up from three amazing and huge white bridges called "Le Vele" (=sailing boats), which have become another symbol of town. You can admire them simply driving the A1 (Milan-Neapel) at the exit Reggio Emilia or simply sitting on the high speed train (which will stop in Reggio Emilia as well in the future. STarting from December 2008, the high speed train just runs from Milan to Bologna)

Reggio nell'Emilia...A Nice Surprise!

by xristos83

I planned to go to Reggio nell'Emilia during my foreign exchange in Italy to see some other foreign friends (we stuck together). Before leaving, many of my Italian friends told me "Non c'e' niente li'!" (There's nothing there!)...So I was just expecting a couple of old typical Italian buildings and a nice cathedral or two. From the outside the city doesn't look like much, but the center really impressed me! Maybe it was because my friends who lived there were great tour guides, but this town is definitely worth a visit. It doesn't have any incredibly spectacular cathedrals or grand, opulent squares...but it's got a fantastic, genuine Italian atmosphere. What I loved the most about this town is that there were barely ANY tourists! (I know it's ironic because I AM a tourist, but I like to see where the locals are!) If you are staying in Parma or Bologna for a couple of days, hop onto to the train and spend a day in Reggio nell’Emilia.

Comments