Guarding the northern end of the city centre, building work on Sigismondo Malatesta’s residence-fortress began in 1437 and lasted around 15 years. Today, unfortunately only the central nucleus remains. The castle appears on numerous Malatesta medals as well as on Piero della Francesca’s fresco in the Malatesta Temple where it is depicted with towers, walls, a wide moat and an imposing keep. In the 17th century, the building became a Papal fortress and was then used as a prison until 1967. Nowadays, it is the venue for numerous cultural events.