3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Via Canuti, 1, Rimini, 47811, Italy
Expedia.com Booking.com Hotels.com

Rated 19% higher but also costs 31% more than other 3.5 star hotels

More about Rimini

Augustus Arch in the late afternoonAugustus Arch in the late afternoon

Travel Tips for Rimini

arch

by xaver

Riminese think that you should not pass under the arch, in their believe, it will bring unfortunate events, do not ask me why as, I really do not know and I truly believe they do not know either, it's probably a rumor they have heard from their parents that had heard that from their parents excetra.

Rimini 2006

by Airpunk

Rimini was my „base“ for my holidays in the Emiglia-Romana in April of 2007. The trip was planned shortly after I knew that a previously planned trip to Greece with my friends will not take place. The trip started in Slovenia (well, indeed, it started in Stansted…), but the largest part of the two-week journey was spent in Rimini.

Why Rimini? During summertime, Rimini would surely not be my favourite destinations. I am not a “beach party” guy and I am also not a friend of crowded, touristy places. Anyway, Rimini has more to offer than just beaches and nightclubs: An interesting old town, an aviation museuim and many nearby interesting places like San Marino or Ravenna. A week would give me enough time to get an overview of this region and Rimini’s off-season hotel prices are good. That’s why I chose a hotel instead of my usually hostel or B&B.

"The big walk I"

I love to walk and so it was clear to me that I would try to reach my hotel by walking from the train station. I searched for some Rimini city maps in the internet and printed out the respective pages. When I arrived, I walked along the coast to the north, according to my maps. Somehow, the streets I walked along were not the same streets I had on my maps. Anyway, I continued to walk but even after over an hour of walking, I didn’t found any of the streets shown on my map. Finally, I decided to get on a bus to find my way to the hotel. With my usual mix of languages that I use during journeys through Italy (Spanish, English and some very small pieces of Italian), I asked a bus driver how to get to my hotel. He told me to get the bus back downtown to the train station and then take line number 11. It seemed strange to me, but surprisingly this was the right way. I arrived at the Hotel over two hours later than estimated and found out that I have printed out a wrong section of the city map, showing the “Bellariva” train station instead of “Centrale”.

"A week of sightseeing in the Emiglia-Romana"

The “base” and daytrip – system proved to be useful in many places: Doing a lot of daytrips and foilling the mornings and evenings with sightseeing and local activities at my base town. However, this meant almost every time that I would spent more away than in the “base town”. It was so on my first Rotterdam trip, in Ljubljana and also in Rimini. Indeed, I did less than half a day of sightseeing, just a couple of hours after a San Marino daytrip. Sometimes, on the way from the hotel to the central station for example, I spent some minutes looking around in all the shops or looking for a special kind of café espresso for a colleague (which I found later in Bergamo). Ancona and Fano were my first destinations for daytrips on April 8th, followed by the mentioned San Marino daytrip on April 9th. On April 10th, I visited Fano and Ravenna, two cities with nice, but completely different old towns.

"Clark Gable's DC-3"

My interest in civil aviation was one of the reasons why I chose Rimini. The Museo dell’aviazione was Italy’s largest aviation-related museum. Unfortunately, it proved to be almost entirely focused on military aviation. Boring! I just found four passenger aircraft, and only one was on exhibition: The former private aircraft of actor Clark Gable. His DC-3 is not flying anymore, but at least, you could explore it from inside and outside.
The aircraft was a DC-3/C-47, an aircraft from the 1930s and 1940s which is seen in most aviation-related museums. It was the backbone of civil aviation in the post-WWII years and also became popular as a private aircraft in this time. Sounds like it is nothing special, but DC-3s are special to me. There’s one reason why I marvel at this aircraft: It’s incredible longevity. Today, over 70 years after its maiden flight, hundreds are still flying. Flying or grounded, 747 or A380, the DC-3 remains the real queen of the skies – and she saved my day: It was the only piece I really enjoyed in the museum. The other civil aircraft (a DC-3 hulk and two hidden Metroliners) were not as beautiful and access to them was more than just limited.

"The big walk II"

After having visited the Museo dell’aviazione, I decided to walk a part of the way back to Rimini. On most of my trips, I do the one or other longer walk, just to get a better impression of my holiday destination. And no, walking for an hour with a heavy backpack in the wrong direction was not enough. Weather was fine and it gave me a good impression of the suburbs and the landscape. I went to a small shopping center (where I looked again for caffé espresso…), visited a WWII cementery, took a photo of a bus stop and enjoyed the sound of the Autostrada San Marino – Rimini. Nothing fancy, nothing exotic – but one of the peaceful moments which I really enjoyed. I finished the day in Pesaro, where it started to rain a little when I was walking along the shore.

April 12th was my last day and I decided to spend it in Parma, which was already close to my next destination after Rimini: Bergamo. I really enjoyed my stay in Rimini, but as every trip – it was too short. I always say to myself, that I should have spent more time in Rimini – but that would have meant that I would have skipped some of the daytrips. If I come back for more, I will try to explore more places in Rimini. And then, it will surely be off-season again – with the right map!

Comments