Palazzo Strassoldo, Piazza S. Antonio, 2, Gorizia, 34170, Italy
Expedia.com Hotels.com Booking.com

More about Gorizia

Castello di GoriziaCastello di Gorizia

Taken near Dimitri's house (April 2005)Taken near Dimitri's house (April 2005)

Serene vegetation outside Gorizia in SloveniaSerene vegetation outside Gorizia in Slovenia

The front of Sant'Ilario e TizianoThe front of Sant'Ilario e Tiziano

how from gorizia to rome

by romancretnik

Hi! I want to go to Rome in a few days. I'd like to start from Gorizia. What's the best option (cheap and not to slow) - train, bus? I need to be in Rome on july 17th (thursday) at 10:00, but I can be there already on wednesday (a day before). If you know the answer, please write it down, THANKS

Re: how from gorizia to rome

by mccalpin

"Best" option? Hmmmmn. I think it is to take the train. The minimum trip will take about 7 hours from Gorizia. See www.trenitalia.com. For example, there is a train that leaves Gorizia Centrale at 7:58 in the morning, arrives at Venezia Mestre at 9:57, then another train leaves Venezia Mestre at 10:45 and arrives at Roma Termini at 3:05 in the afternoon. Both trains have first and second class, but it looks like the second train requires a reservation in addition to the ticket.

There are several other possible connections; some of the slower ones might be cheaper than the one I listed above.

Anyway, I am sure that the train will be much faster than the bus, even if you could find a bus that would go that distance.

Bill

Re: Re: how from gorizia to rome

by mat-trst

Hi, the best option is to depart from Trieste instead of Gorizia. There's an Eurostar train departing every day at 8.30 a.m. and getting in Rome at 15.05 without changing. You must reserve your seat.

RE: how from gorizia to rome

by Mikebond

If you want to take the Eurostar Italia train Trieste-Roma, you must go from Gorizia to Monfalcone and there take it. I'm almost sure the Eurostar stops in Monfalcone.

Travel Tips for Gorizia

Multilinguism

by Mikebond

Nearly everybody in Gorizia can speak more than one language.
People speak not only Italian and dialect but, unlike in Trieste, many of them speak also Slovene. Actually, they are forced to know this language because nowadays Gorizia and Nova Gorica are turning into one single town and both Slovenians and Italians often cross the border. However, the two communities live close but separate, they aren't as mixed as in Trieste.
It is even more unfrequent than in Trieste to meet a local who doesn't speak dialect. On the contrary, it is more difficult to find someone who speak a very good Italian. The same happens in Trieste, Venezia and other towns in Veneto, where everybody speak dialect, too.

San Giusto

by Mikebond

I photographed this little church while walking from the railway station to the centre. I saw it by chance, since wasn't even mentioned on my guide. Despite not being famous, it is very nice, isn't it? Unfortunately, it was close.
I asked its name on the forum in June 2005 and I had lost any hope to get an answer. Finally, today 16th August 2006, VT member tolovajka has given me the solution: this is the Chiesa di San Giusto. Many thanks for the help!

Palazzo Attems Petzenstein

by Mikebond

Palazzo Attems Petzenstein projected by Nicolò Pacassi, was built for Sigismondo d'Attems (Sigmund of Attems) between 1733 and 1745. Inside, one can visit the provincial art gallery with paintings by local artists, mostly of the 18th century. Unfortunately, I didn't visit it, but I hope I'll go there next time.

Sinagoga

by Mikebond

The synagogue was built in 1756 and restored in 1984. It is open to the public, but I didn't visit it. The ground floor hosts the Museo di Gerusalemme sull'Isonzo ("Museum of Jerusalem on the Isonzo"), about the town community and its protagonists. One of them was linguist Graziadio Isaia Ascoli (1829-1907), who invented the names of Tre Venezie ("Three Venices"): Venezia Tridentina (present Trentino), Venezia Euganea (present Veneto) and Venezia Giulia (the provinces of Gorizia and Trieste).

GORIZIA OR GORICA?!?

by Pinat

"I WONDER IF YOU'RE ITALIAN OR SLOVENIAN?"

Thanks to one of the cutest persons I've met in Italy (Dimitri Braini to name him), I had the chance to see his beautiful hometown, Gorizia several times during my studies in Italy in 2005. I was living in Trieste at the time and I was already quite close to Slovenian border but it was after my very first trip to Gorizia I noticed how a city can be of two nations. It was written Dimitri Brajnik on the door of my friend but he was also legally Dimitri Braini. It was my first interaction with two identities, two countries but one soul. That's why I fell in love with the city and kept asking Dimitri to take me there several times when he was driving back home for the weekend.

Being 40 minutes train ride from Trieste or two hours train ride from Venice, Gorizia is a rather quiet Italian town compared to other Italian tourist attractions. However, from a historical perspective, I believe, Gorizia is a unique treasure with its medieval cathedrals.

Comments