Bed and Breakfast Susanna

via Bruzzesi n. 3, Civitavecchia, 00053, Italy
Villa Susanna Guestrooms
Hotels.com Expedia.com Venere.com

More about Civitavecchia

CIVITAVECCHIA NEXT STOP, THEN WHAT?CIVITAVECCHIA NEXT STOP, THEN WHAT?

Seafront Market, CivitavecchiaSeafront Market, Civitavecchia

Il Pirgo, CivitavecchiaIl Pirgo, Civitavecchia

CivitavecchiaCivitavecchia

Distance to airport

by NJbeauty

Does anyone know how long it takes by cab and the approximate cost to get from the Civitavecchia pier to the Rome, Italy airport?
Thanks

by leics

There are two international airports in Rome, but I assume you mean Fiumicino?

Taxi is not cheap. Google 'civitavecchia fiumicino transfer to get an idea of what is on offer. This company:

charges 90 euro for 1-2 people. Theoretically, the journey should take around an hour but one cannot say what might happen in terms of traffic congestion. It could easily take longer, so allow for that possibility.

A taxi which is not pre-booked may well cost you more.

Alternatively, and much more cheaply, you can take the train from Civitavecchia (bus, taxi or walk from your cruise berth) to Rome Termini, and then the Leonardo Express train to Fiumicino. The first segment takes from 45 minutes, the second around 30 minutes.

Train times, details and fares in English here:

No need to book tickets in advance. Ticket machines are easy to use and have English language options.

by mccalpin

Yep, Fiumicino to Civitavecchia is 64+ kilometers (38 miles or so); Ciampino to Civitavecchia is 84 kilometers (50 miles or so).

A taxi will cost a fortune. 100 euro? 150 euro? Even shared shuttles aren't that cheap...the "port of Rome" is just a long way from Rome...

Bill

by travelgourmet

I have always found it difficult to carry two suitcases and two flight bags on a train after trying to get to the station and wait for the train and then watching my luggage till we arrive at the Airport. Cabs or taxis are another matter. There just might not be one waiting to take you and it does get a little chaotic at the port. The easy and relaxed way may cost more but it is the way to go with luggage and if you are under time constraints. Try a limo/car service for the best prices. Try this one for prices that might even beat the cruise lines bus charges or taxi meters. See website: http://www.zelitlimousine.com/

by swissfondue

You would need to get a taxi to transfer you and your luggage from the cruise pier to the train station at Civitavecchia unless you had plenty of time and could stroll along leisurely. The pier is a fair distance from the station.

by AlZokol

Hi, well I was in Civitavecchia myself and to avoid any surprise
I booked beforehand www.bestlimosinrome.com. The driver was there with a Mercedes minivan and spoke a nice english. The drive to my downtown hotel in Rome was about 1 hour and half and the fare very resonable being 200 dollars (some 160 euros) considering the were 4 of us and and lots of luggage was real good deal.Franco, the driver told me the company was also doing dock tours from Rome, Naples and Livorno.

Hope this was useful
By Al

Travel Tips for Civitavecchia

Civitavecchia

by maykal

OK, most of you will come to Civitavecchia by ship, and if you're not coming by ship, you're leaving by ship. Civitavecchia is one of Italy's major ports, and the closest one to Rome, an obligatory stop on most cruise itineraries and the terminus of many a ferry heading over to Sardinia, Sicily and Tunisia. An ancient port, Civitavecchia fared badly in the Second World War with most of the city bombed to bits...nowadays, it is a port and a centre of industry.

The VT forums on Civitavecchia are filled with questions about transport to Rome. Can you get there by train? Anyone want to share a taxi to the airport? Should I take the train or go on a tour? nobody asks about Civitavecchia itself.

Now, I'm not one to follow the herd. Never have been, hopefully never will be. How I was dragged on to a cruiseship in the first place is a long and disturbing tale of woe, but I was on one and it was stopping at Civitavecchia. The idea of a hot August Sunday in Rome with the family didn't appeal...2 hours there, cramming in a few major sights while constantly checking the time, then 2 hours back...no, not for me. I'd been to Rome before anyway.

Staying on board in the port was not an option either. Well, it was an option, but not one I was willing to entertain. Butlins-at-Sea versus a day in Italy?! Haha, I couldn't wait to get off that ship, even just for a few hours!

So, Civitavecchia...can it really be as bad as it sounds? Surely there must be some positives. Searching on the net, it didn't seem like there were. I looked into alternatives, and Tarquinia with its Etruscan tombs and hilltop medieval centre popped up, just fifteen minutes away. More about that on my Tarquinia page...but inconvenient train times meant I had a few hours to kill in Civitavecchia.

First impressions weren't great. The ship's shuttle bus dropped me off at the gates to the port, where a long line of travellers were streaming towards the train station. Past Forte Michelangelo, a museum which was unfortunately shut that day, signs for McDonalds must have been welcome for some, but I was thinking "oh God, maybe Rome wouldn't have been so bad...". The procession went straight on to the station. I turned left and climbed onto the old city walls, where suddenly tourist-ville ended and Italy began.

Walking around what remains of Civitavecchia's historical centre, which is admittedly not much, I don't think I saw another tourist, even though I was just metres away from seven gigantic cruise ships, each with over a thousand passengers. Sights may well be thin on the ground, but what does that matter when it is a nice place?

Moving towards the station, I still had soem time to kill before my train to Tarquinia, so I had a wander along the coast. Another surprise...it was actually quite attractive. A sandy beach with clear water just down from a busy port...a strangely picturesque pier...a yellow waterfront church...a pedestrian promenade. It wasn't deserted, but for an august weekend, it was hardly heaving with people either. The buildings weren't ugly...they were historic, grand, newly painted. Statues and street art everywhere. A seafront market. And no signs of any heavy industry obscuring the view...which all seems to be the other side of the port.

Civitavecchia...I liked it.

I guess what I'm trying to say with this page is that you don't have to do what everyone else does and go to Rome. Be controversial and give Civitavecchia a chance...at least for half a day, and maybe spend the other half in Tarquinia, Tolfa or Cerveteri. Looking at the tired and weary passengers stomping back on ship after their tours of the Italian capital, I can't say that I didn't feel just a little bit smug.

Comments