Via di Santo Janni 5, Formia, 04023, Italy

More about Formia

Itri © NonnaLouItri © NonnaLou

Itri Castle © NonnaLouItri Castle © NonnaLou

Mountain Cattle @ L.ShapcottMountain Cattle @ L.Shapcott

Formia with Mountain Backdrop © L.ShapcottFormia with Mountain Backdrop © L.Shapcott

transpotation

by madeitjo

We are planning on flying into Naples and staying in Sorrento, how would we get to Formia from these locations? Is there a train that goes to Formia from Sorrento or Naples? And from Formia back to the Naple's Airport. And how much is the boat (alascafi) to Ponza?

by leics

You can take the train from Napoli Centrale station to Formia. Train times, details and fares in English here;

Journey time just under or just over an hour, fare from 4 euro.

From Sorrento you would first need to take the cheap, frequent Circumvesuviana train to Napoli Garibaldi station, which adjoins Napoli Centrale. Timetables here;

Journey time around an hour, fare just over 3 euro.

From Formia to the airport would (I think) mean going back to Napoli Centrale and then taking bus or taxi from there. Bus/taxi information on the airport website;

Taxi info on the left hand side. Pdf of taxi rates here;

under 'Visualizza le tariffe'

by leics

Aliscafi times and fares;

Choose 'golfo di Napoli' then search for Formia>Ponza.

I found a one-way fare for next week of 17.20 euro on the 0900 crossing (arriving at 1130).

by RayfromNY

When You arrive in Naples, you will first have to take a short bus ride to the train station. If I recall correctly, it was just a couple of Euros. The train to Formia is less than one hour.

You can take the ferry to Ponza and by all means go there. I remember 15 Euros. the ferry leave early morning and return at about 6 pm. Try to stay on the Island a couple of days, if you can. It is beautiful.
Food prices very high, as in $40 for two small plates of pasta, and salad. Be sure to take a boat ride over to Palmarola, another island not from Ponza. They will circumnavigate the Island and give you a couple of hours on the island to explore. Bring you swimming gear. Water is so clear you can count the fish thirty feet down on the sandy bottom. You will need plenty of lead time to secure a place to stay, if that is your desire, so plan ahead. Off season should be less of a problem, but if you book now for the high season, you may get a little discount. High season, you will be out of luck unless you know someone, such as a close cousin.
Trip back from Formia is just as easy. Train to Naples station, bus to the airport. I am going to Ponza in August . I will be making my plans very soon.
Enjoy Formia and Ponza they way the Roman did 2000 years ago.

Travel Tips for Formia

You've heard of Vittorio Emanuel 11?

by unravelau

The wonderful monument to V Emanuel 11 which takes up so much space in Rome? Well, in Formia, there is a monument to Vittorio Emanuel the first (so I was told)..........was this his Dad?.................... Not anywhere near as grand a monument although it appears to be the only monument in this park in Formia. I did try to find out more about it and gingerly asked a couple of men sitting next to it, about his history (the monument's that is). One replied in French.............whoops!...........then went for the Italian..................just as hard for me................so in halting English (talented man)....... he started telling me about the graffiti on it..................uh! So if anyone out there knows about it please feel free to let us know.

Giuseppe has just mailed me that Vittorio Emanuelle the first is not the father of Vittorio Emanuelle the second.

Just found this link with a little history.
members.rogers.com/jacobites/kings/victor.htm I loved this little park and I used to sit here a lot waiting for my bus connection.

Returning the favour.

by unravelau

Previous photo looking toward Mount Redentore from Formia..........this one from Mt. Redentore looking toward Naples. There is stacks of history to be had here...........not only beautiful scenery. Formia is a town right on the Appian Way.

Venture Inland

by NonnaLou

Venture a little inland to discover some lovely
medieval hill top towns, such as
Itri and Campodimele,
and to explore the
Aurunci National Park.

..............................................................................

Please also take time to visit my Itri Travel pages.

I actually live in Itri -

Take a look at my Home Page at Virtual Tourist

and my BLOG at: http://trecancelle.wordpress.com

The Pathway to Formia from Rome is well used

by unravelau

but the southern route is not so busy. Just out of town on the main road towards Scauri - Minturno and then Campania, you will see this structure, and probably wonder about it like me. Mind you the photo was taken out of a moving bus and therefore may not be as clear as if I had been standing there. None-the-less, you can definitely see that it is not in tune with its surroundings at all.

A quick browse around the available information on the www has not brought forward anything specific excepting that Formia indeed was a big item in the days of Caesar, Cicero, Mark and Cleo etc..... but what about this rock.

I do have this bit of a guide, albeit in Italian (not a lot of use to me) and dated as being published in 1995 -- but the information and pictures from within look far older. Anyway I have located this photo (p 100) and they call it Sepolcro localmente detto la Torricella -- If anyone is interested I could scan the photo and Italian to them........hint, hint -- then maybe I would know what it is all about too.

The Land of my ancestors

by Fuente

I only had a week in Italy in sept 2004 I visited Rome and the
Vatican for two days.And Formia for four days my grandparents
immigrated from formia almost eighty years ago.I did not get
a chance to see Itri my great grandfather was from there.I would
love to have some Formians as friends here in this site

Comments