Formia, Italy

© Monte Redentore @ L.Shapcott© Monte Redentore @ L.Shapcott

Vindicio Beach © L.ShapcottVindicio Beach © L.Shapcott

Looking for info. on locating family in Formia- Itri area

by palmaccio-schiro

I will be traveling to Italy in July and would like any information on a small fishing village in Itri outside Formia. I will only have half of a day to attempt to track down some family roots. I'm told that there is a villa and a street with our family name of "Palmaccio" but I've yet to stumble upon anyhting that matches this. If you know of a way to get a detailed map of the area or of any information relating to this area I'd appreciate it.
Thanks

RE: Looking for info. on locating family in Formia- Itri area

by VinoSole

Itri is on a main road from the A1 exit Cassino.It is a small town so you should not have any problems finding info. I got a great map on Central Italy that is fairly detailed but no street names. I have family in Gaeta so I will ask them to see if they could do any research. It is so beautiful there. Good luck and I will link back to you if I can get any info>Inga

by VinoSole

Itri is not on the water but North of Formia where it gets a little mountainous.

by palmaccio-schiro

Thanks for the replies and I will look forward to any future infomation you can help with. Ryn

by VinoSole

Sent you an e-mail. talk to you soon!

RE: Looking for info. on locating family in Formia- Itri area

by NonnaLou

I came across your posting regarding the Formia - Itri area dated 2006.
What a shame !

We are an English family who have recently moved to live near Itri. We too enjoy family history. I we can be of help please do contact us. We also have a website of where we now live, if you would like to take a look.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Louie

Travel Tips for Formia

From the same park..........a view of Formia

by unravelau

It would be hard for me to put my finger on the one thing that makes Formia interesting to me, because I enjoyed it all.

I really liked that as a stranger, I was treated as a member of their community and was therefore allowed to blend into the background.................which is not bad........i.e. the mountains with the view of the Mediterranean. It feels like home and therefore must be my second home.

One custom is to have a memorial to war dead.

by unravelau

Every township that I went into had a monument to their war dead in a fairly prominent place. Formia is no different. This is to be found in a park alongside the main road through Formia ........Via Vitruvio, just about opposite the National Museum.

The Oldest Church in Formia.

by unravelau

The Chiesa di S Maria di Castagneto, is said to be the oldest church in Formia. To see it, you can catch a bus from Formia marked Trivio, Castellenorato and ask to be let off at the end of the street of the church. On Thursday mornings the bus actually goes right past the church to let people off at the large market (out of town), called the supermercato..................also worth the visit too. If you have reasonable Italian, it would be a good idea to discover its opening times to have a look inside.....................

Don't forget to pick up your bus ticket from any tobacci shop as they will not issue them on the bus...............this is a fairly uniform practice in Lazio.

Formia, South Lazio

by NonnaLou

"Gulf of Gaeta"

Formia is situated half way between Rome and Naples, on the spectacular Gulf of Gaeta.

Its name comes from the Greek word "Hormiai" which translates as "good anchorage".

Today Formia has a busy marina and port, with ferries sailing regularly to the Pontine Islands of Ponza, Ventotene, Santo Stefano, and Palmarola.

The city has a lively commercial area, the main avenue is Via Vitruvio, which has numerous shops, stylish boutiques and bars, ice-cream parlours, and a museum.

It has a train station with excellent communication links with Rome and Naples, and also has good local bus services.

.......................................................................................................................

Please now take the time to visit my Formia Travelogues.

(scroll down towards the bottom of the page to find them)

We now live very near to Formia in nearby Itri.

If you are planning to visit Formia and /or this beautiful area of South Lazio, please do feel free to contact us :

nonnalou_i@yahoo.com . We love to make new friends.

Also please visit my Itri, Minturno, Gaeta, Sperlonga, Terracina Pages, and my Home Page at Virtual Tourist.

Take a look at my SOUTH LAZIO WEBSITE: http://southlazio.shapcott-family.com

.................................

CASTELLONORATO, A SUBURB OF FORMIA

by vitruvius

Though I was born in Formia, to be exact Castellonorato, a medieval castle on a hill overlooking th elower lazio region, I have been living in the Boston area since 1966. I suppose that makes me an American. I love my hometown and the castle where I was born. Castellonorato was bombed heavily during WWII but you can still make out the medieval tower and the gate. In the distance you can see the Redentore peak. A staute of Christ the Reedemer was placed there to commemorate the cominng of the 20th century

"GATE TO CASTLE"

For centuries this gate has been the main entrance to the castle. Though there is one more entrance at the other end of the castle, this is the one most use. Even on very hot days one can enter tthrought the gate and be greated by a very cool breeze. The difference in temperature between outtside and inside the gate is very dramatic, it can be compared to entering an air conditioned place after being in the heat for a while ( and that is no exageration).

Comments