Via Conte di Carmagnola 32, Rome, 00176, Italy
Hostelworld.com

Satisfaction Poor

More about Rome

Neptune is the focal pointNeptune is the focal point

Inside The VaticanInside The Vatican

The Apollo Belvedere, Vatican Museums, May 2007The Apollo Belvedere, Vatican Museums, May 2007

Climbed up the steps, watching downwardsClimbed up the steps, watching downwards

Train from Rome to Florance and back

by IronJohn

I was wondering if there would be any problem (how crowded the train might be) getting tickets for the train from Rome to Florance on a Monday morning and coming back on a Friday afternoon. Should we buy them in advance or will we be okay buying them when we get to the station? Also when I look at the site for schedule and tickets, for some of the trains the "buy" column is marked with "NO". Why is that?

by Lhenne1

Hi! I've never had a problem buying tickets at the station (Rome or Florence) in the off-season. When are you traveling? Summer gets busy and it may be more difficult in June/July.

You may have good luck going to a Tourist Office (look for the big blue T) when you arrive in Italy. They can often help you book train tickets and I've gotten good deals there in the past.

I hope that helps!

by luvtrvlg

I just recently took a this route with my sister. You don't need to buy the tickets in advance at all. There are lots of trains going north to Florence if I'm not mistaken every 20 - 30 mins. All you need to do is go to the counter and purchase your tickets and they will actually give you the time and the lane number where the train will be boarding. You won't get lost at all.

It is very easy and convenient!

Hope this helps!

by Lacristina

While not that common, Eurostar trains do get sold out, more often they're sold out in second class. It's happened to me even in low season (just this past February) on a Sunday afternoon.

Monday mornings and Friday afternoons can be busy times...and if it's the summer, or around a holiday, busier still.

If you can, I would advise buying the ticket a couple of days in advance. That way, you can use the Amica fare and ensure you get the train you want. You can easily buy a ticket from the automated machines...they have instructions in English. When it asks what kind of fare you want, select
"Promotions" and then Amica. If it's available, you'll save 20%. But you must purchase by midnight the day before you travel.

You can check schedules here: http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

by leics

If the website says 'no', then you can't buy the ticket online (maybe you are looking too far in advance?). Not all tickets can be purchased oline.

But you don't need to buy tickets far in advance anyway. Only reservation-only trains get 'full', and there are few of those. On ordinary trains, you just stand if there are no seats available (highly unlikely), then sit when soeone gets off.

If you are worried about availability (and there indeed lots of trains to Florence), or want to reserve seats, just pop into Termini station a day or so before your journey whilst you are in Rome. You can get your ticket from the machines easily (they have English translations) or from the ticket office.

Remember to validate (date-stamp) your ticket using the yellow machines on the platforms just before you get on the train (same applies to bus tickets, except the machines are on the buses.....do it as soon as you get on). There are inspectors, and fines for unvalidated tickets.

by IronJohn

Thanks everyone for the great information. We are traveling on May 5th so I was a little concerned with the May 1st holiday. We will be in Rome for several days and will check into the Amica fare.

Travel Tips for Rome

My camera was stolen!!!!

by monorailgold

Unfortunatly, I have heard numerous stories about people who have had their cameras stolen. Not only were they upset because of the loss of their camera, but also about all the pictures that were on the memory cards as well. Some people said they had 1300 photos on their 2 gig cards and now they are all gone because their camera was stolen. My suggestion is to invest in more of the smaller cards. You can buy 3 or 4 512 cards for the price of one 2 gig card. You can carry these in your pocket and change when the card is full. This way you protect the pics you have already taken. I use 512 cards most of the time. I can get about 160 pics on them at 6.0 megapixels. If your camera has less megapixels you can fit more, if it has more you will fit less. I also download all of my pictures every night to my laptop or ipod. This way, if my camera is lost or stolen, I have only lost 1 days worth of photos and not an entire trips worth. I do have a 2 gig card and will certainly use it on my next trip, but I will still download it at night. Protect those photos!!!!

Area Sacra Di Largo Argentina

by Jeannkelly

This is the billboard of the "Pussy Park".... It talks about its history but it never mentioned how the park came to be a haven of stray cats in Rome!!! ...to think that now, this place is what it is known for - CATS! ;-)

Walking Tour

by ECYM

Most of the Roma's heritage sites can be reached by walking.

1. You can walk from Colossuem to The Forum to Termi di Caracalla.

2. Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps are a short distance away

When in Rome........take dinner as the Romans do!

by jjkent

No specific restaurant to gush about, but one should definitely take advantage of the plentiful restaurants while in Rome. And when in Rome........eat dinner as the Romans do! Take your time! Dinner is wonderful when it is spread out over 2-3 hours. The servers are very helpful and patient. Start with an antipasta (appetizer) and a bottle of wine. When that course is completed, order your first course (usually pasta). When that is completed, order your second course (usually a meat). And so on....don't rush it, and don't order it all at once! It was wierd to me and my American traveling partners at first, but this Italian dinner style quickly became the one thing we all looked forward to. We particularly enjoyed selecting restaurants that gave us a great view of the local landmarks (Colesseum, Pantheon, Piazza Navono, etc.) These restaurants naturally cater to tourists, so the prices may be a little inflated. However, the servers were friendly and helpful and someone always spoke English. And the views were unforgettable.

And for God's sake, save room for gelato!!

Do Go on the Offered Tours

by amyLbrown2002

As soon as you get near the Coliseum people will start coming up to you and offereing you a guided tour. I recommend you take them up on it for three reasons:

1. There aren't any signs or plaques arounf the Coliseum, so unless you have a good prior knowledge, you're not oging to know everything you are looking at. The guides are great, funny, and very knowledgeable and will give you a great insight into the Coliseum.

2. You bypass the enormous lines waiting to get into the Coliseum.

3. They give you a free tour of the Roman Forum afterwards.

My boyfriend and I did the Coliseum after The Forum and were disappointed to find that we could have gone on the free tour of the Forum. Because again, there aren't any signs up so were weren't entirely sure of what buildings exactly etc we were looking at in the Forum.

Tours were 20 Euros (9 euro Coliseum ticket, 11 euro tour). We had the Roma Pass, you we only paid the 11 euros

Comments