A Casa di Giusy

More about Rome

Basilica of Maxentius and ConstantineBasilica of Maxentius and Constantine

Trajan's ColumnTrajan's Column

Broken BridgeBroken Bridge

Forum Romanum (or the Roman Forum)Forum Romanum (or the Roman Forum)

Rome in late Jan: good or bad idea?

by marielexoteria

I wanted to go to Rome this year but we couldn't manage so instead we're contemplating to visit it in late Jan 2009 - in time for my 30th birthday :D

What I wonder is if it's a good or bad idea in the sense of:
- not as many sun hours: meaning that maybe we won't be able to appreciate the ruins like we would in, say May.
- not many sights opened due to less tourist being in town?

Now, I live in Sweden so by Jan I'm used to not having a lot of sun hours and to the cold so those 2 wouldn't so much of a change/challenge for me.

Also, is it so noisy in Rome that you hear noise from the street no matter where you sleep (as in a room in the back of a hotel/hostel or a room in the front)?
No matter how luxurious a hotel/hostel is, we always find bad reviews about it on tripadvisor.com and that sort of worries me because I don't want to spend half my budget in accommodations and at the same time I want to have a good night's sleep (Mr. Sweden is a light sleeper). I understand, however, that a big city is bound to be noisy.

Any other tips you can give me are welcome. If there are other locations that suit us best then by all means go ahead and tell us. We're not into winter sports (we can do that here) and I don't know yet but we hope to be pregnant by then (less than 6 months tho! we start working on that later this year :D).

by Miguelzgz

Hi.
We went to Rome this January for 5 days. We were lucky because we had 5 SUNNY days in a row, and not very cold(comparing with Spain, probably warm comparing with Sweden).
Everything is open and working, so you will be able to see everything, and less crowded than in Summer time.
Trafic is busy, but it is not "hell". We slept in a nice hotel in Via Nazionale. Fourth floor, no noises at all. Double glazing at the windows, and very well located. Walking distance from everything. Prices at hotels in January are lower than the rest of the year, that´s why we could aford that nice hotel.(Hotel Eurostars Internacional Palace).

Have fun.

by marielexoteria

Thank you Miguel.

I've been to Madrid and I come from Dominican Rep so I know warm as much as you do :) I'll check out your hotel tips.

by zuriga

I think January is probably a great time to visit Rome.. all the numbers are lower, including fares, hotels and tourists.

We stayed at a lovely hotel called La Residenza. It was set back away from the main street and the bathroom was enormous!

by Lacristina

Winter is my favorite time to visit Rome! I actually recommend it on my Rome page.

January is fine for a visit. First of all, after the New Year’s holiday, prices of hotels (and plane fares) are often the lowest of the entire year.

For those of us who live in colder climates, Rome’s “winter” weather is great! Usually sunny with high temperatures most often between 10-15 C. This makes walking around much more comfortable than the hot, humid summer months.

Don’t worry, all the sights will be open in Janurary…but everything will be wonderfully less crowded. Most ruins, fountains, etc. are artfully lit at night.

Regarding hotel noise, a good, quiet, budget three-star is the Hotel Aberdeen. I haven’t slept in every room, but I’ve never had a problem with noise there. There is very little traffic on Via Firenze.

by mccalpin

I definitely agree with everyone else about going in January. For someone used to winters in Sweden, January in Rome will seem like a sun-splashed summer(!).

We were in Rome in February a few years ago. One day the official spousal unit and I were having lunch outside at a restaurant in Trastevere. It was a nice sunny day, although the temps were in the 50sF (12ishC?). There was a row of tables along the wall, with a short fence separating us (by a few inches) from the one lane of traffic that could get through down the narrow street.

When I went inside the restaurant to use the facilities, I realized that everyone outside was a tourist while everyone inside was a local. hahaha...we tourists just HAVE to eat at an outdoor restaurant in Rome, even in February (the locals probably thought we were nuts). Who cares! It's almost summer to you!

Bill

Travel Tips for Rome

Rain, rain go away!

by syllybabe

After walking in the rain and the cold we did get soaked and finally decided it was time to hail a cab.
My friend had a cold but was such a good sport and walked to all the sights with me. I finally took pity and spared him from the walk back.

Ostia Antica: Walk across a 2400 years old road

by effeti

Ostia Antica Scavi (= the excavations, because there is also a medieval village and the "new" Traian harbour to see) is a surprise: it is quite a good and rich ancient site, less famous than Pompei or Ercolano, but you can easily "read" its roads, its houses, its blocks, its shops... You can nearly feel like living in Roman age...
Just walk along a 2400 years old road....
To go there (about 20 km, near the sea) you can just take metro B to Piramide, and than jump on a train of the Ostiense line: all with the same metro ticket. Stop at Ostia Scavi and cross the walking bridge.

The pictures were taken in december (ok, not exactly high season) but the place was really empty in the morning... To stroll around nearly alone is a big plus

Update: If you are a Google Earth user (if not consider, it... it's a real useful toy for travellers) you may find here some
Google earth landmarks on Ostia Antica: click on the file after having installed the google earth software, and you will be macigally walking across the ancient Ostia!

Train from Perugia to Rome

by deebum25

My husband and I took the train from Perugia to Rome and we bought our tickets ahead of time from Rail Europe. Even shipping to the US we had no problems and did not have to worry about full trains.

Amazing Tortellini

by pinkbear about "La Pineta"

This place was a little bit out of the way, only finding it as a result of a bad hotel decision. But the food at this place made up for the fact the hotel seemed located in a less than desirable part of town.

The ambience seemed quintessentially Italian, with a gorgeously unglamourous dining area outside underneath grape vines and flourescent lighting. The Tortellini in a Ragu sauce was to die for. Definitely within my top ten.

How to Spend Three Days in Rome

by rajeevsa

This is a useful tip from Bps174 on www.wikihow.com. I thought i shud share it.

How to Spend Three Days in Rome

Hitting the tourist sites and seeing the best of the city in only three days and three nights.
Steps

1. Arrive early in the city on the first morning by plane, bus, etc.
2. Hit the historic Roman landmarks: the Coliseum, the Roman Forum, and the Circus Maximus.
3. Spend the first evening at a local restaurant and then go to the Spanish Steps for night life.
4. Spend the entire second day at Vatican City. Go to the top of the dome; see the crypts, monuments, painting, and statues along the way.
5. Spend the second night at the Trevi Fountain. Enjoy dinner at a local cafe.
6. The third day is for catching up. Walk to the historic places you missed, and do some shopping for the special lady in your life.
7. Have a special farewell dinner before you leave the "Eternal City".

Tips

* A whole day is needed for the Vatican. Dress properly in order to have the opportunity to access it. Men's legs need to be completely covered (trousers only). Ladies can wear knee length skirts/shorts. Both men & women are to have shoulders covered. Children are excluded from these regulations.
* Skip the morning line at the Vatican Museums by going to St. Peter's Basilica in the morning, visiting the Vatican after lunch. There will be almost no line at 1pm. The Sistine Chapel is inside the Vatican Museums.
* Buy tickets for the Coliseum at the Palatine Hill. You'll skip the queue at the Coliseum and the tickets are valid for both.
* Be sure to get inside the Coliseum. Some guides will just walk around the outside.
* Brush up on the basics of the Italian language.
* Although you have to pay for the Coliseum, Vatican Museums and some other attractions, most of Rome's monuments are free. These include the Pantheon, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Piazza Navona, Campo Di Fiori, the Roman Forum, and St. Peter's.

Comments