Ai Musei Vaticani Bed and Breakfast

Booking.com eDreams

More about Rome

The courtyardThe courtyard

Column of Marcus AureliusColumn of Marcus Aurelius

Dome from the insideDome from the inside

Crowds on Spanish Steps and down Via CondottiCrowds on Spanish Steps and down Via Condotti

champions league final game

by ricardoamon

please let me know of descent hotels near the stadio olimpico in Rome. also, need to buy two tickets to the game, any suggestions? what are the streets like near the stadium, safe? thanks, ricardo

by Kakapo2

I think you had to apply for tickets before 16 March. So the only way to get tickets now is on the black market in front of the stadium.

You find the ticket info on the UEFA website:

Go to the final/Rome link and there to the ticket portal.

I have not been near the stadium in recent years. When I was there many years ago the area was safe. I stayed at a hotel not too far from there and could walk when I missed my shuttle bus. Sorry, can't remember the name. I am sure there are other VT members who have more info about the hotel question. However, if you do not have tickets.........

by ricardoamon

Thanks for the info. I figure that we still want to travel in Italy for a week, i would not mind just watching the game at a large screen or a bar with other fans...my take is that FC Barcelona will be there and we can hang around for the before and after the game....are there public screens to watch the game? sports bars near the stadium? I missed the ticket date not ready to buy then. thanks again, ricardo

by Paisleypaul

I attended the MAy 2007 UEFA Cup Final Sevilla v Espanyol at Hampden Park in Glasgow. There was the similar Europe wide ballot, but the large ticketing agent at the SECC in Glasgow did have tickets in reserve which were only announced, and released, no more than 36 hours before the match, to prevent touting. So - check the main ticekting agency or issuer in Rome the day or so before the match

Travel Tips for Rome

Piazza Navona

by Gypsystravels

The Piazza Navona is said to be the most famous and most beautiful of Rome's many squares. This large and lively square which attracts many tourists and locals alike features the three magnificent fountains - The Fontana dei Quattro Fiumi (Fountain of the Four Rivers) the Fontana Moro (Foutain of the Moor) and the Fonatan del Nepttuno (Fountain of Neptune). The square is built on the former Domitian's stadium, built by emperor Domitian in 86 AD. This is why the square has a long and oval shape. I read in my guide book that this stadium had a larger arena than the Colosseum and was mainly used for festivals sporting events.

The stadiun was paved over to created Piazza Navona in the 15th century and remains of Domiitian's stadium are still visible in certain areas.

Select Italy: A safe, easy way to book concerts

by JFN41

When I revisited Rome, I wanted to inlude a musical event to balance my several planned tours of museums, famous churches and the ancient Roman Ruins. Through online searching, I discovered a heretofore unfamiliar website, Select Italy. There, under "Opera & Musical Events", I found among other things "Enchanting Opera Arias" being performed in Rome on several dates during my October stay. Select Italy offered me everything I wanted and more.
The concerts were to be performed by "I Musici Veneziani Roma". I was unaware of their fame at the time but I read that the concerts feature "the famous Orchestra I Musici Veneziani" and that they present "a series of concerts performed in 18th century Venetian costumes singing excerpts from familiar Italian Operas by Verdi, Puccini, Rossini and more".
For the price, about $40.00 at the time, knew I must try it.

I could not have been more pleased with my decision.
It was my most enjoyable and pleasant evening in Rome. The professionalism of the orchestra and the singers was evident from the start and the beautiful sounds they created set the mood for the rest of my stay in Italy.

Prior to my next trip to Rome in October 2008, I went back to the Select Italy website. I purchased tickets for three concerts, two by Musici Veneziani Roma. One of these was an exceptionally well done opera, La Traviata in concert form. The way they mastered this within a small area was remarkable. It was as convincing and as moving as any stage production I have seen.
The concerts by Musici Veneziani Roma took place at the American Episcopal Church of St Paul's Within the Walls (Chiesa di S. Paolo Entro Le Mura) a 19th century Anglican church (This was the first Protestant church built in Rome). This neo-Gothic Anglican church provides great acoustics.
I should alert anyone who might consider attending a concert at St Paul’s to take into account that the performances are done without a dais or stage meaning that sight lines can be obstructed
St Paul’s is easy to reach being on Via Napoli at the corner of Via Nazionale a few blocks down from Piazza della Repubblica.
You can also reach the church from the opposite direction walking the several blocks from Piazza Venezia but a bus is a quick and inexpensive alternative.
The last time I checked, there were two concert prices at St Paul‘s, those up front at $59.00 and those at the rear of the church for $40.00.

Watching people at the Pantheon

by Jenniflower about Pantheon

After a filling meal we went for long walks, part to walk off all the delicious pasta we had just eaten, andpart to see more of this magical city.

It is amazing how a city changes at night. Where some cities become seedy and you might feel unsafe in them, in Rome you feel anything but! We walked all over the place, and had no incidences at all. The worst incident we had was the diner next to us in one restaurant walking out on his meal because it too 45 minutes for the restaurant to cook his steak! haha I doubt I would've waited that long to be honest... his friends had long finished eating before his meal arrived.

Sitting on the low wall that runs around the rotunda of the Pantheon, we watched passersbys, and listened to music. There are a few musicians serenading people at night, which adds to the overall romantic feel about the city. Casual, with good walking shoes!!!

Trendy and nice!

by 11mirjam about Glass restaurant

I Higly recommend this restaurant. It's a trendy restaurant in Trastevere with a nice interior (with a lot of glass ofcourse). The staff is friendly and the food is really delicous. Average prices. The desserts are beautiful to see and delicous to eat. I loved the lavendel-ice and the rosemary-ice with chocolate.

Devour in Cavour

by icunme about Caffe Cavour

Simply the best hot chocolate I've had in Rome - somewhere between a pudding and the conventional cocoa Americans are accustomed to - made thick and rich with your little cup of whipped cream (the real deal) on the side - double portion compared to other "bars" that serve hot chocolate. More photos coming of this great bar/sandwich caffe. Note also that there are always a great selection of small sandwich snacks (gratis) there on the bar to enjoy with your espresso, beer or wine. A great "find" and close to the big movie complex right there in Piazza Cavour. Chocolate caldo w/cream - the best - double portion cups and extra rich and thick.

Comments