3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Travelocity Expedia.com Booking.com

Rated 11% higher but also costs 113% more than other 3.5 star hotels

• giampiero6's Profile Photo

Magical

The Pantheon is my favorite building in Rome and might be my favorite building in the world. The Albergo Del Senato's real selling point is the fact that the hotel is literally just to the left of the pantheon within about 25 meters. There are several hotels nearby and I researched all of them, and went to a couple of them. Albergo del Senato is the rare combination of an incredibly desirable placement along with an excellent room experience. Some other hotels seem to try to trade on the their location and provide subpar rooms or slight off site lodging. Albergo del Senato combines a great if small room that is elegant, well decorated, very clean, and up to date. The bathroom is of average size for a European hotel and is nice marble and glass and well appointed. The decor is elegant baroque with yellow damask wall coverings and wood floors.

Unique Quality: By far the most outstanding feature of this hotel is the view from this place. We had a room on the 6th floor (highest floor) that had a beautiful balcony overlooking the Piazza della Rotondo and at eye level with the frieze of the Pantheon. Amazing. We spend hours sitting on the balcony watching the world go by below...day time, night time etc. With the impromptu appearance of 800 nuns and a musical band of bersaglieri, it was like being in a Fellini film. It is HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommended that you do everything you can to get a room with view or balcony. Without that, it isn't nearly as special a place to be. Another magical thing about this hotel is the room top deck from which you see the most beautiful sunsets over St. Peters and the Pantheon. Just magical and wonderful. It's only available to guests and it's worth it to pay more to stay here just for this and the balcony or view.

Directions: Approaching the Pantheon, it is directly on the left, closest building.

• von.otter's Profile Photo

A Hotel in the Center of it All

“In the highest spirits we entered Rome, Robert and Penini singing actually; for the child was radiant and flushed with the continual change of air and scene, and he had an excellent scheme about ‘tissing the Pope’s foot,’ to prevent his taking away ‘mine gun,’ somebody having told him that such dangerous weapons were not allowed by the Roman police.”
    — Elizabeth Barrett Browning (1806-1861) from a letter she wrote to a friend, Miss Mary Russell Mitford, about her husband and son in 1854

When you book a room at the Albergo del Senato you are in the heart of Rome. The Eternal City is compact and from the front door of this hotel you can walk everywhere.

Facing Piazza della Rotonda (see photo #3), with antiquity’s most well-preserved building, the Pantheon (see photo #2), as its dominant feature, this three-star hotel is housed in a late 19th-century palazzo designed by Gaetano Koch (1849-1910), the architect responsible for Palazzo Margherita, now the American Embassy, in the Via Veneto.

Although our room, #304, was small, because it faced the open piazza we had a sense of space. Cleanliness is a top priority at the del Senato, even the façade (see photo #1) is the cleanest and brightest of any on the square! The bed’s mattress was firm for a good night’s rest. The gold-colored damask fabric that covers walls help lend a note of elegance, as did the crown molding in the main room and the bathroom.

The hot water instantly flows from the faucets in the black and white marble tiled bathroom. The terrycloth robes are plush and, oh so comfortable. The towels are generously sized; but as with many European hotels washcloths are not provided, so bring your own as we do when we travel.

The staff is sincerely friendly and helpful; all of them speak English quite well. Mariano (photo #5), the hotel’s daytime front desk attendant; is the very definition of a handsome Italian man. He was charming, helpful and polite as well as good-looking: what a combination! I acknowledge that in our t-shirt-and-jeans society, hotel laundry service is of little use to most guests. At the del Senato this service is pricey but very good; the two white dress shirts I that had asked to have pressed were expertly, and efficiently, ironed.

The complementary buffet breakfast is simple but satisfying. In mild weather take time for a drink on the rooftop terrace, with funnyman bartender Michele serving refreshments. The view from here is magical: all of the domes of the Eternal City are at eye-level.

Whenever we go to Rome, we will stop again at this charming albergo.

Unique Quality: It is neighbor to the glorious Pantheon, on the delightful Piazza della Rotonda. Rooms facing the piazza will have a view of the Pantheon too.

• tere1's Profile Photo

A lovely hotel!

I just loved the Albergo del Senato! Though it is considered a 3 star hotel, it looks like a small luxury hotel. Its location couldn't be better, right in the Piazza della Rotonda, next to the Pantheon. You can easily walk anywhere from here. There are many good restaurants nearby as well.

The rooms are lovely, with marble bathrooms and some have balconies with views to the Pantheon. The breakfasts were delicious, a nice buffet with many different breads, cold meats, cakes, yogurts and fruit. The breakfast room and several lounges had beautiful frescoes on the walls and celings.

In the evening we could hear wonderful classical music coming from the Piazza. Truly romantic!

The price is a bit expensive , I paid 275 euros at the time for a triple room but it was well worth the money and I can't think of a better place to stay in Rome. Highly recommended!

Directions: Next to the Pantheon

• mytravels's Profile Photo

Albergo del Senato

My rate for a single room was 139EUR, approx 127USD

Unique Quality: I thoroughly enjoyed staying at this hotel. It is located at the Piazza della Rotonda, the location of the Pantheon. My room overlooked the Piazza. The hotel was clean, the staff was friendly, service was good, and the location is most optimal. It took no more than 15-20 minutes walk-time to any of the major tourist sites. Some of the staff speak English. Since I was there during my birthday, I was wished Happy Birthday by most of the hotel staff that saw me; quite unexpected! I highly recommend this hotel.

More about Albergo Del Senato

Exceptionally Nice People

by MomRocco

The people we encountered in Rome were all exceptionally nice with the exception of the street vendors who just didn't understand "NO." The hotel we stayed at (Albergo Del Senato) looked into the square in front of the Pantheon. It had an excellent roof top bar where we enjoyed the company of friends in a beautiful setting.

Exceeded Expectations

Albergo del Senato offered excellent , albeit a little tight accomodations in a perfect location right next to the Pantheon. The staff were friendly and helpful and the bar and breakfast well above average. I would recommend it to any couple. The rooms are too small to wedge in a third person, child or adult.

Perfect Location!

Just returned from a five day trip to Rome and can't say enough about our wonderful stay at the Albergo Del Senato. It's location is superb, on the same Piazza (della Rotonda) as the Pantheon. The AC worked fine, the breakfast was delicious and the rooftop terrace overlooking the Pantheon and Piazza was a lovely way to end the day. It is rated three stars but it is very close to four in my opinion!

A perfect trip to Rome

We stayed in the Albergo del Senato in March of 2003 for ten incredible days. Our room was on the top floor, in the middle; although small, it was nicely decorated and the huge windows and shutters kept out all noise and light. I could hardly wait to wake up each morning and open the shutters and stand on the small balcony -- I could have thrown a pebble onto the roof of the Pantheon.

And the Pantheon is where I would start every day. How can you beat that? The hotel is perfectly located in Centro Storico ... with Giolitti's just a couple of blocks away (gelato!). Nice staff, great breakfast, convenient car service that met us at the airport and drove us back again at the end of our trip.

In fact, we're going back in August (yes, I know all about Rome in August - but it's that or not going at all, and then we're heading down to Positano, which should be even more crowded).

I've sent scads of friends to the Albergo del Senato and every one of them enjoyed their stay.

Bad Experience

by TripAdvisor Member Kakiebell

It is amazing the different experiences people have at the same hotel. I just got back from a two week trip to Italy and the four nights I spent at this hotel were the worst. We had no air conditioning in our room, there was no hot water for showering, the shower head was broken, we only got clean towels, sheets and soaps twice in a four night stay only after asking for them. The front desk staff could not have been more rude or unaccommodating. We also had a triple room for three adults and the third bed was no better than an army cot. Truly, it is a fabulous location but I would have gladly walked two more blocks to stay at another hotel.

Stretched the work trip a couple of days to see the city

by TripAdvisor Member chlightkeeper

Three of us had business out of town all week and decided to stay the weekend. This hotel was recommended by our host and it has seldom let his visitors down-including us.
Great location, cabs right out front if you want them, lot's of restaurants, people to watch everywhere. Breakfast was fine. The room was also very nice. The staff was very helpful. On the first morning on the way to breakfast I was pretty impressed that the hotel clerk greeted me by name. The evening desk clerk recommended a restaurant for dinner with a spectacular view overlooking the Forum (The Forum Hotel) and got us the best table in the house.
I certainly plan to return with my spouse on the next trip.

Albergo Del Senato hotel Rome

by poet123

Any comments on this hotel would be welcome and allso any restaurants in Rome with panoramic views for a farewell to Roma meal to remeber would be appreciated.

Thanks

RE: Albergo Del Senato hotel Rome

by Ciambella

I have a review on my Rome page on this hotel if you care to read it.

RE: RE: Albergo Del Senato hotel Rome

by poet123

Thankyou so much...room 602 looks very nice, are all the corner rooms numbered in the 600 range?

RE: RE: Albergo Del Senato hotel Rome

by Ciambella

I'm not sure about the numbering system of the rooms. Room 602 is immediately below the hotel terrace with a few stair steps in between so it feels like you have both the hotel's large terrace and the room's smaller terrace at your disposal.

Comments