All'Opera

Via del Viminale, 66, Rome, Lazio, 00184, Italy

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Rome

View from the Piazza del QuirinaleView from the Piazza del Quirinale

Plaza of the Popes across from the subway stationPlaza of the Popes across from the subway station

The chains of St PeterThe chains of St Peter

Verdi antipastiVerdi antipasti

by Mozumbus

We are a group of 4-6 (age 26-29), planning to visit Italy and onwards (back-packing) in June, 2009. We would like to travel and visit as many places as possible and that too with minimum amount of time and money. I have made the following tentative itinerary with 2nd class fares (in Euros) on Regional Trains:

Points; Date; Fares; Duration
Milan-Venice; 9-Jun-09; 14.50; 07:25-10:49
Venice-Bologna; 9-Jun-09; 8.90; 19:57-22:04
Bologna-Florence; 10-Jun-09; 5.40; 06:45-08:21
Florence-Pisa; 10-Jun-09; 5.60; 11:57-13:06
Pisa-Rome; 10-Jun-09; 17.65; 17:45-21:50

Question # 1: Kindly comment on the feasibility of this itinerary? Is it too ambitious?

Question # 2: Kindly let me know if there are any one-way combined tickets available from Milan to Rome (via Florence and Pisa) effective for two consecutive days that cost less than 52.05 Euros (combined fare of the above itinerary)? I am asking this question after searching on Eurail and trenitalia.

Question # 3: What is the general procedure of a) purchasing and validating tickets, and b) boarding on Regional Trains? I have not been to Europe before but have traveled frequently on (non-speed) trains.

Question # 4: Can travel agents help us in getting any discounts or offers?

Question # 5: Can we stay at Bologna Railway Station for the whole night (Rest Rooms, other options)?

Question # 6: Any other useful tip regarding site seeing, cheap accommodation (including hostels), etc?

(From Rome we will travel to Bari to catch superfast ferry to reach to Greece. From Athens we will take flight to Barcelona to travel onwards.)

Re: Visiting Milan-Venice-Florence-Pisa-Rome through Regional Trains; Tips for Budget Travel

by GuitarStan

Wow, you're doing a "power-vacation" their are many things to see/do and you may be going so fast you may fail to absorb it all. But, you're young and it is doable! My advice: You can purchase tiks for trains in the stations using the machines. They take cards and cash (check first) and generally the faster the train the more the cost. Important..validate your ticket in the yellow machines before boarding! On our visit we purchased tickets to our next destination when we first arrived in town. They were never sold-out and had no problems. Just in case, their is an actual person who can help you with your plans/purchases. You don't mention length of stay in Rome, my wife and I spent 6 days in Rome alone and we never stopped conquering the "Eternal City". Please take a little time in this unbelievable historic city, they say "It takes a lifetime to see all of Rome" and we believe it! I think it's GREAT your doing this when your young and just do it! Have a super trip! My wife and I WILL return someday!

Thanks.

We ar spending only two days in Rome, and I know that this is very little time to see the city. We will visit ancient Rome (Colloseum, Platine Hill, and the Forum) this time and leave the other (and rather exciting) Rome for the next trip.

Happy Travelling!

by Mozumbus

Folks, it is already a year when I did my first backpacking trip to Europe with my friends.

Now that we are coming on-air, as a leading local channel 'Geo News' made a Travelmentary based on our Trip, I would like to take this opportunity to thank VT and all the fellow VTers who helped us in making all this possible. This was simply not possible without the kind and generous help from fellow VTers...

You may watch the trevelmentary at http://www.geo.tv/geoip/

First Episode of 'Backpack Europe' will be on-air today, i.e. Wednesday, June 30, 2010 at 11:00 pm PST (+5 GMT)

For details: www.geomentary.tv

Muzzammil

Travel Tips for Rome

Rome Tip

by tessy

There has been such a lot of traffic, such a lot of signals of cars, ambulances, vespas, .... I really don't know how people manage it to go to work at time. I was really happy that I left my car in a suburb.
And Rome is really the highlight of all the italian towns. I can't find other words, but everything there I saw could be described with a superlative.

Olympic Stadium

by Sarita76

The Olympic Stadium (Stadio Olimpico) was built in 1937 and then re-built again in the 1953 and in the 1960 for the Olympics. The actual roof was added before the 1990 World Cup Finals. Both Lazio and Roma play their home matches here.
To tell the truth, I went there to watch something else. This event is called GOLDEN GALA and is part of the IAAF's Golden League of Track and Field.
PS: I also went to see Italy-Ukraine match! It was cool!!!

Nightlife in the Open Air

by nbeard about Piazza Trillusa and Trastevere

Piazza Trillusa is in Trastevere, and it is one of the main spots from Romans and expats to meet at night, although it has been discovered by some intrepid tourists as well. This piazza acts as the entrance to Trastevere, where there are many places to eat and bars to grab a drink in. Many young Italians just stroll from place to place, and walking in the narrow cobblestone streets acts as an activity in and of itself (in between drinks, of course). If you are facing the piazza with the river behind you, there is an authentic and cheap pizza restaurant on the left corner called La Margherita. The Diavolo is my favorite. Also, if you look up on the left above a stone wall there is a bar/club that is very popular with Romans. And, as you walk from the Piazza toward Santa Maria in Trastevere, there will be a market of sorts selling jewelry and other handmade crafts. There is a wine bar called Baccanale that is good in Trastevere. Off of Santa Maria in Trastevere, ther is a bar (I forget the name), but it has a white awning and looks slightly seedy. But, if you go in and ask for a "scropino" you will pay 2.60 for a tall glass of vodka mixed with lemon sorbet. In general, this is a great place to walk around at night to eat, drink, and people watch. No dress code exactly, but Italians ALWAYS look nice when they go out. Stick with black and you will be fine. If you wear jeans, you will definitely mark yourself as a tourist.

Here's the real roman pizza

by ant0nius about Pizzeria Baffetto

At Baffetto's ( Via del Governo Vecchio , few minutes from Navona ) you can taste the real roman pizza ( that is differente from the one you can eat in Neaples for example ) at a very reasonable price. Always crowded by romans and tourist, to avoiding queue you'll have to stay there at 8 pm at the lastest. If it's you're first time then try Pizza Margherita and a bottle of Nastro Azzurro Beer. Margherita and Nastro Azzurro beer...

Pizzeria plus

by Paisleypaul about Ristorante Carlo Menta in Trastevere

A 12 euro tourist lunch menu started with inediby hard bruschette, zuppa di verdura / pasta della casa (carbonara)and pollo arrosto / saltimbocca alla romano anf creme caramel. With half a litre of Frascati and mineral water, we totalled Eu30 It was good value and OK but no more than OK, Avoid the bruschetta!
Eating in Trastevere day or night is a pleasure

Comments