Via Gioberti, 39, Rome, 00185, Italy
Booking.com Travelocity Venere.com

Satisfaction Average

More about Rome

Santa Caterina a Magnanapoli & Torre MilizieSanta Caterina a Magnanapoli & Torre Milizie

San Nicola in Carcere (Apr 2009)San Nicola in Carcere (Apr 2009)

Piazza della RotundaPiazza della Rotunda

Palazzo Massimo - Mosaic from villa RuffinellaPalazzo Massimo - Mosaic from villa Ruffinella

Rome Itinerary

by KEH

I will be traveling with my young adult daughter to Rome in early August. This is our first time in Paris. I am planning on this schedule. Any suggestions in regards to the time line, and locations of sites would be fantastic.
Am I missing any major attractions or visiting anything that is not worth the time and effort?
Can you suggest any resturants in the locations we are near for lunch or dinner? We are thinking inexpensive and easy lunch with a few more formal and nicer dinners.
We are interested in atmosphere and fun locations and events.
Any travel suggestions would be helpful as well
Should we buy advance tickets?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Thursday August 13 110 Open Stop and go Bus tour to see the major attractions with lunch somewhere in there. With Galleria Borghese in the afternoon. Then walking thru the Pincio Gardens and Pazza del Popolo before dinner. Ending at Piazza Navona and walking to the Pantheon with dinner in that area.

Friday August 14 Vatican Museums to see the Sistine Chapel, St Peter's Basilica in the morning. Visit Castel Sant' Angelo, walking to the Spanish Steps and Piazza di Spanga in the afternoon. Dinner in that area and then the Trevi Fountain after.

Saturday August 15. Exploring Trastevere in the early afternoon. Then Trastevere go to the Catacombs of San Callisto. Both located on the south side of Rome.

Thanks so much!
KEH

Re: Rome Itinerary

by manuna

Check at the site if Vatican Museums will be open on Aug 14th. Because August 15th in Italy is really a big holliday, most of the sites will be closed.

Re: Rome Itinerary

by puerto_lover

The Vatican Museum is open on Saturday 14th but closed 15th.
I think the number of people visiting begins to 'tail off' during the afternoon. So possibly best to try and get to the entrance after 2pm ? The museum entrance is about 15 mins walk from the Basilica. Rome is all about waling so wear good shoes !

The Galleria Borghese does have rules about admission and you should look through this :

The 110 bus ticket is open for 24 hours so you could use it for getting acquainted with the sights and dropping off and getting back on when you decide its good planning. presume that you are happy to see the Colosseum and Roman Forum from the bus rather than gain access? If you wish to gain access I think the ticket queue at the Colosseum may be longer than at the Forum entrance. The ticket is the same whether you enter at the Forum or Palatine Hill or Colosseum.

I think the Catacombe of San Callisto is open on 15th. Have a look at

Trastevere to San Callisto is quite a long way (too far to contemplate walking) so you need figure out the transport. There's a recent thread about that !

Very possible to use buses but needs some planning. Could be best to go to San Callisto first from central Rome - depending on your hotel - then return using buses.

Travel Tips for Rome

Money: Debit or Credit?

by nyonnetti

We used our debit card for the majority of our spending in Rome. Our bank charged a 1% fee on every withdrawl which amounted to a $2-$3 charge per withdrawl. The credit card company charged a 3% fee on every purchase, so you can see that it was actually cheaper to use our debit card. Check with your bank about the fees. Our friend's bank charged a 2% fee on withdrawls so it varies.

That being said, be sure that you find out which ATM's your debit card will work at in Italy. I know there were some that our card would not work at, which made me a little concerned since that was the primary way we were getting around on our trip and two of our B&Bs wanted cash up front.

We withdrew about 200 euros every 2-3 days and my husband and I would each carry 100 euros. I found that in Italy, with all the markets and cafes, we really needed to have a good supply of cash on us. We used the silk neck pouch that goes under your clothing to carry our money, passports, credit cards and ID's. This worked great and we did not have any incidents of getting pickpocketed. You can purchase them at any luggage store and they cost about $15-$20 each.

Packing List

by Packerman

Wonder why all these people are carrying different colored umbrellas on a beautiful sunny day near the colosseum? It gets so hot in Rome that people will do anything to stay in the shade. Actually it was a Sunday morning when we went to visit the colosseum and there was this huge outdoor party with fun loud music going on. I never did figure out what was going on, but they were having fun. Always carry aspirin in Rome. The noise and heat will get to you, unless you are already used to that. My regular camera with 200 speed film did not take inside pictures. It looked light enough in the buildings, but it wasn't. Make sure the same doesn't happen to you.

Shoe stores

by fairy_dust

Being a girl, I just HAD to check out the shoe stores! I checked out a few close to Termini and compared prices, and ended up buying a cute pair of wedge sandals with leather straps for very cheap. Shoes of all styles and price ranges. I think I paid around 30 Euros for the pair I bought.

Great spot for breakfast or a snack by Pantheon

by monica71 about Bar Pantheon

This is a great cafe to have breakfast at or for a quick snack during the day. It is right by the Pantheon, it has a great terrace and you can enjoy watching the people strolling in Piazza della Rotonda while snacking. The prices are very decent. We paid about 8 Euros for one hot tea, once cappuccino and 1 croissant.

Pleasant and reasonable

by Paisleypaul about Chicco di Grano Pizzerie Griglleria

Spacious and airy, a friendly welcome, we ate late on here when we were not up for the usual overkill. We had a few side dishes with drinks and the only sad part was that it was our last day in Roma......for 2005 anyway.......! Zucchini flowers with birra alla spina - draught beer

Comments