Amor di Casa

More about Rome

Trevi FountainsTrevi Fountains

Castel Sant’Angelo, Roma, May 2007Castel Sant’Angelo, Roma, May 2007

Castel Sant'AngeloCastel Sant'Angelo

Corazzieri and sentry.Corazzieri and sentry.

one week trip to rome

by boragok

hi,

i am planning to visit rome end of april with my girlfriend. Do you send me some advice such;

- We are looking for a cheap studio apartmant where we can cook our food by ourselves in the city centre. where can i find?

- do you have any advice any place to visit?

- any suggestions for wheather?

Thanks,

by mccalpin

1. I have stayed in an apartment in Rome, and, yes, making some of your own meals is well worth the effort, especially if one of you is a bit of a connoisseur and really enjoys shopping locally. I will say that the place we stayed was not the cheapest (but was quite nice - you can see my tip on my Rome page under Accommodations, I think). I suggest that you use the Search function here on VT (upper right), and search in the Rome Forum for "apartment" - you will get a number of hits with people's suggestions and experiences.

2. There are 47,032,899 places to visit in Rome - and we can't begin to make any suggestions without knowing what you'd like to see. Of course, if you use the Search function here on VT, you will find thousands of pages with user tips on what to see and do, just to give you some ideas.

3. You can see the averages for April at http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/ITXX0067?from=month_bottomnav_business (and many other places). Note that in March, weather.com will provide daily average for April (see http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/monthly/ITXX0067?from=today_topnav_BusinessTravel )
As you can see, it will be cool at night (but not cold) and very pleasant during the day, so layers are important (as they are year-round in Rome)...

Bill

by kathymof

A good site to check for rentals is www.homelidays.com

by boragok

thanks a lot. all of them are useful advices.

Travel Tips for Rome

Rome Tip

by John195123

Sitting in a restaurant right beside the Colloseum. It was night, and orange-yellow lights shone up on the structure, blackened holes of night coming through the arches. We ate and watched alley cats wander around the street in search of food. The restaurant was some nice local cuisine, and after we had finished eating (I think there was some music playing) we stopped by a small cart on the side of the road and bought Lemon Ice. MMMMMMMMMMMMMM.......

italian ice

Italians = warmth!

by Laura_Mexico

Italian people are extremely warm, hospitable and kind. They like to talk a lot and they're used to deal with tourists. Although they'll do their best to try to speak to you in English (not many people in Italy speak it, though), they highly appreciate it when you try to speak to them in their own language. Italians like to talk a lot, and loud. If you have a good sense of humor and smile and joke with them, they will be more than pleased.

Talking about restaurants & service in general, although the service is already included in restaurant checks, you should leave some more money for the waiter on the table before you leave.

Dressing code: no matter how hot the weather is, you're not supposed to wear short pants or sleevless shirts or short skirts/dresses if you plan to visit a church, especially Saint Peter's.

Shopping on the street: when buying stuff from street vendors you can sometimes bargain the price, depending on the item and on the vendor. Of course knowing the local language will help you tons, since -as it happens in all touristic places- the more you look like a tourist the more they will try to raise the price.

To sum up, I can say I was very well received by all people in Rome, especially my friends, who were extremely kind and hospitable to me. Thank you guys, you are THE BEST!!. I miss you and I'll go back someday! On the picture you can see a VERY hospitable and warm Roman family receiving 2 foreigners with open arms...

Alessandro Baricco Novels

by nicolettart about Bookstore

I wanted to buy Alessandro Baricco novels while I was in Rome. I was in Trastevere one day and I happened to find a small shop where I bought "Novecento", "Seta", and his latest, "Senza Sangue". I think you can also get these books in the English version online. If you saw the recent movie "Legend of 1900", it was based on the book Novecento . Cheaper than in US.
Novecento cost 4,50 Euro.

Budget airlines

by oneonta_ni

In August, 2002, we flew with Go to Stansted and from there with Ryanair to Rome. Ryanair fly to Ciampino Airport and have a special coach for their passengers which goes directly to Termini Station. It was ý12 return each and you can probably get cheaper tickets on a local bus but for us this was the most convenient. We arrived around 9.30pm and did not want to be wandering around the airport trying to find which bus to take.

There are very good local buses and an underground metro system. The metro is not really useful for visitors and it is stifling hot down there in the summer.

The best way to get around is by foot and although this can be tiring after a long day of sightseeing, it is really enjoyable. And there are plenty of bars, cafes and gelaterias to stop and take a break in.:o)

One of the most romantic Rome restaurants

by icunme about Zodiac

We go there most often for their superb apertivo and to sit at the outside tables and enjoy the spectacular panoramic Rome vista. There is an ice cream, desert and pastry shop handy there also.
They really go out of their way to give you the most romantic atmosphere - candlelight, with live music and cabaret. A special treat on Valentine's Day is their “cocktail cupido” and decorated with a “heart of dark chocolate”. Hope you recognize Italian celebrities who frequent this famous eatery such as our famous Italian singer Claudio Baglioni, Lucio Dalla, Pino Daniele.
Photo 1 - Entrance to interior
Photos 2, 3, 4 - Panoramic vista
Photo 5 - Via Inamoratta - Zodiac "Lover's Lane" Apertivo of Pernod and water on a hot summer evening in Roma but a dazzling choice of fancy cocktails.

Comments