Anglo Americano

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• theodoreconrad's Profile Photo

Nice hotel

This hotel has alot around it. Near the Trevi fountain, the Cattacombe dei Cappuccini, a very famous museum, the sight of a famous battle during WWII, and the metro system, not to mention all sorts of shops. The hotel itself I thought to be very nice. The desk clerks in the day are kind of rude, and very short with you, but the rooms are nice. The night clerk is very helpful. Yes, smoking is allowed in the rooms so you might be bothered by that. But my room, which was like a suite with five beds, was clean, had a great view, and was cozy. The 'do not disturb' sign means nothing to the maids though, so expect your room to be made up when you return in the evening. The breakfast wasn't bad, they had meats and cheeses, and hard bread, and cereals and different kinds of coffee/cappuccinos. I don't know how much this is normally because I got it in a package my friend's university made as a charter trip. I do know that we had only four people staying in our room so we invited a friend to use our extra bed and they tried to charge us 100 extra euros, but we left without paying that.

Unique Quality: Close to so much, nice beds, good feel all around

• Absolutely Terrible

This was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. I do quite a bit of traveling, and this place was far and away the worst. The service is extremely rude. They convieniently "lost" my party's reservation and had us stay in 2 seperate rooms for 100 euro more than the origional reservation. We arrived very late and did not have time to find another hotel, they definitely took advantage of the situation. The breakfast is a joke. The rooms are dirty, smelly and in need of repair. The hotel turned a otherwise great visit to Rome to a mediocre experience. I can not say enough here to convey my disgust with this overpriced trap. Stay away. Far away.

Unique Quality: Very, very rude desk men.

Directions: Via Venetto, Trevi, Piazza di Spagna

• Great value on last minute site

We stayed in this hotel last month, and it was a great location and the staff were really friendy and helpful. The best thing was we booked in only a week before leaving using the http://hotelhome.biz/ web site, which gave us a great discount.

Unique Quality: Location and friendly staff. Close to all the major attractions.

• oneonta_ni's Profile Photo

Good location anyway

I don't know if I would really recommend this hotel. It is a 4* hotel and we managed to get a good rate on octopustravel.com. However, when we were there in August 2002, the hotel seemed to be in the middle of renovations and the rooms were not really what I would expect of a 4* hotel.

Buffet breakfast was included in the price but this was a bit disappointing, too. There was a selection of rolls, yogurt and cereals but the 'fruit juices' were more like fizzy drinks.

However, our room on the 6th floor was quiet and the air-conditioning worked - our two main priorities for our visit. It is located fairly centrally, near via Veneto and about a 10 minute walk to the Spanish Steps.

Perhaps the renovations are now complete and it may be worth it - but they might have raised the prices to match!

Directions: Near Piazza Barberini.

More about Anglo Americano

Beware of Hotel Anglo-Americano

by TripAdvisor Member mela69

Dear Americans etc.

I have recently been on a business trip to Rome, so fortunately by company payd the stay at the Anglo-Americano Hotel in Rome.
It is supposed to be 4 stars - and that is what you pay for, but it is not even 2 stars from cleanliness, service, rooms, breakfast. UGLY, UGLY,UGLY!!
I don't know a really cheap and good adress in Rome, but I once stayed at a Starhotel in Rome, which was 4 stars for the price but also 4 stars for atmosphere, food, cleanliness etc.
CIAO

Value for money and great location to boot!

i recnetly went to Rome for a soccer match and stayed at the Hotel Anglo Americano... they paid approximately 100 euro for a double room including breakfast, they were within minutes walk from the Spanish Steps, Via dei Condotti (shopping street) and the Trevi Fountain. The room was clean, had a private bathroom, TV and of medium size???? Ok it should not be a four star hotel but it is still excellent value for money!!!! Show me a better 3 star hotel, similiar location and equal price???

Nasty Experience

I would recommend that anyone who is unfortunate enough to stay here not to leave anything of value in your room whilst you go out sightseeing - even if you think it is well hidden! Don't let someone spoil your holiday like they did mine. This is at best a 2* hotel and the breakfast was awful.

What a mess!!

by TripAdvisor Member LauraMac

This hotel was simply terrible!!! I don't think I have ever been to such a filthy place. The staff was rude and unhelpful. I don't know who could have possibly given this hotel even a 1/2 of a star! I travel to Rome at least 3 times a year for business and love the city and the people...but be warned and do not stay at the Hotel Anglo Americana it is a poor representation of the beauty of the city and its lovely roman people. Che schifo!!!(Gross!!!)

Vile vile vile hotel !!!

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in ... and I've been to the Falkland Islands and Lagos. The walls are covered in tweed that was painted over with gloss paint 10 years ago. There was a bizarre speed bump in the bedroom floor - presumably where the plumbing ran through from one bathroom to the next. So vile vile decor. The breakfast was difficult to keep down - vile again. And it wasn't cheap. This hasn't been a four star hotel at least since Romulus and Remus set up home with their wolf. Nobody should ever stay here - ever again!

Very disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member Msmikey

My partner and I stayed here in June 2004 for only 3 nights and the experience was less than what I had imagined. As I live in England and my partner lives in the USA, we wanted a wonderful few days in Rome at a high star hotel. It was not cheap! When we arrived, the staff were quite rude and informed us that the room was not ready yet, even though it was after 3:00 PM, so we had to walk around Rome after the flight and just wanting to freshen up. An hour and a half later, the room was ready. The size of the room was great, had a great view toward the Vatican...was on the 6th floor. However, the air conditioning did not work and the room was hot! The carpet was old and worn, the bedding left a lot to be desired, and the mattresses were very hard and uncomfortable. We informed the staff about the air conditioner, they came up and attempted to fix it, however, it never worked properly. The hotel is just not up to standard. For a 4 star hotel, this hotel does not deliver. This in my opinion would be a 1 1/2 - 2 star hotel. The location is great, but that's about it. Would not stay there again.

Hotels in Rome

by pamela.flannery

I have booked a room for 3 nights in the Hotel Anglo Americano. I have just read a review that shows that it's not a very nice hotel. I am heading over to rome on the 4th Feb to the 7th Feb. I will be attending the Ireland vs Italy match. I want to cancel the booking for the hotel anglo americano and would like to book hotel in the same area. would anyone be able to recommend a hotel in the immediate area around where the hotel is as this area suits us for looking at the local attractions etc.

by eileencat1

What's the specific area or street name of Hotel Anglo Americano?

Also what is the apporx. cost you want to spend a night? People can recomend hotels but if the price range is not the same then it won't be of much help I think.

Best, Eileen

by pamela.flannery

We paid about €300 in total i think. its on via quattro fontane as far as i know. would you have any suggestions

by eileencat1

I can recomend Hotel San Carlo - it's closer to the Spanish Steps but not far at all from your 1st Hotel choice, and I think in the same budget.

Good luck! Eileen

by pamela.flannery

a friend has booked a room in the Universo Hotel on Via Principe Amedeo. Does anyone know of any other nice hotels on this road/street??

by tango_jd

Hotel Columbus - just up from Opera House. Via Viminale (parallel to Via Nazionale) - not too far from Termini Station and central for sights etc

It was great for us in August (nice room, Air-con, Nice breakfast)

by abarbieri

The Rugby Game Italy vs Ireland will take place at Stadio Flaminio on Sunday 6th Feb. at 3.30 pm
I would suggest to get a room near Piazza del Popolo(many rugby fans meet here!!) so you can walk to the Stadium(20-25 min) and also be in the very center of the city, close to many sights:
Spanish Steps(5 min.)
Trevi Fountain (15 min.)
Vatican (20 min.)
Pantheon (20 min.)
This is also a great are for good food and shopping!!
Suggested Hotel in the Area:
Locarno www.hotellocarno.com
Piranesi www.hotelpiranesi.com
Valadier www.hotelvaladier.com
Manfredi www.hotelmanfredi.it
All the best!! Antonio

by david_stevens

the hotel anglo americano is fine if you just remember that the star rating in Italy means nothing... so even if it is officially a four star hotel it is really a 3 star and the price you have paid probably reflects this... i suggest you stick with the anglo americano because the area is fantastic!

Comments