Aparthotel Majestic

More about Rome

St Peter’s, the Nave, May 2007St Peter’s, the Nave, May 2007

store windowstore window

Pavilion Bar, Parco Colle Oppio, RomePavilion Bar, Parco Colle Oppio, Rome

Like I said, its worth the climb and wait!Like I said, its worth the climb and wait!

Phone cards in Italy

by cdnagent

Hi....I was wondering if it is easy to find and use phone cards in Italy? I am mostly wondering if it's a good deal to that for making international calls.

Thanks

Jim

by Beausoleil

Very easy to get phone cards. They are sold at tobacco stores and news stands among other places.

It's easier than messing with cell phone SIM cards if you don't make a lot of calls. Most phones in Italy offer an English option for instructions . . . although it's not responded every time we've chosen it. You can figure it out from the pictures though. LOL

by Eckyhade

Don't forget that some phones have those silly cards that won't fit in the phone if you don't break out the special corner. I was 15 minutes trying to get one to work and an Italian boy walked up to me bent the corner off the card and handed it back to me. It worked just fine. The funny part of it is that I speak Italian and it said to do that on the card but I didn't read it.

by gildapaolina

The best phone cards to call Australia are the Telecom Italia ones, i suggest you some names: Easy Asia, No Distance, New Welcome and Enjoy. They works with a numeric pin and can be used both from fixed phone and from mobiles. Normal cost is 5 euros and you can find in all tobacconists.

by gildapaolina

Sorry!...I meaned to call Canada or Usa! :) Bye!

by azz8206

Phone cards are an option. Another option is to visit a telephone and internet shop. You can make calls in these places very cheaply and there are many in the city.

by Tijavi

Hello everyone, I guess this is the best place to post this question: how easy is it to get local SIM cards? Is it cost effective? I'll be traveling around Italy for three weeks and thought it'd be more cost effective to get a local SIM card rather than use my phone's roaming service. Thanks in advance.

Travel Tips for Rome

Rome Tip

by oanav

Once we arrived in Rome too late to find accomodation and we decided to stay awake and walk through the city all night. Of course we got very sleepy and it was less fun than we imagined it -the city was all asleep only the cleaning teams were working and we also met some homeless people- but the early hours of morning were really beautiful, we made some unique photos, Rome with no tourists! Around eight we were near the Colosseum: all was quiet, except sleepy groups of tourists freshly unloaded from buses, starting the visit tour :)))

EUR - Mussolini's celebration of Fascism :-/

by aaaarrgh

Mussolini planned this vast area of intimidating architecture for the 1942 World Fair (which never happened). It is vast, quite severe, very white, a big contrast to the intimate pleasures of central Rome. EUR, to me, represents the intimidation of Fascism.

EUR stands for "Esposizione Universale Roma". The area of buildings is not designed to walk around - big double-carraigeway avenues on a grid like an American city. Saying that, walk around it is what I did.

But there are four large museums with decent art and sculpture, and treasures from the Roman civilization.

The Museo della Civila Romana, is the place to see the impressive sculptures from Rome's imperial past. There is a large model which illustrates Rome at its height.

Catch a bus or the metro to EUR. I went by bus from Rome's main bus station.

Be a Star!

by craic about The Rialto

There is also an excellent Centro in the Jewish Quarter called The Rialto.
I went to listen to a band called Liu (it means nothing in the Romanaccio dialect.) The singer is an Aussie from Wollongong and I was desperate for a dance so I suggested he think of the Palm Court in good old 'Gong and get me up in the floor.
I was being cynical because dancing - as I know it - does not seem to happen in Roma.
Anyway he did the trick and I had to dance and I danced my little butt off.
(Was it my fault the only space to dance was right next to the stage?)
Great - the audience are staring at me. Think I am part of the floorshow.
Great - the band is with me and urging me on.
And now someone is videoing me.
Only 57 she's the dancing queen.
Well - I did feel a bit foolish. When one surrenders to the urge to dance and one is the only one who has - one can.
But darling M - introduced me to the audience as (something like) "Mia amica, Jennifer. Ballentando Extraordinaire." (Italian is probably crap but that is what he meant.)
Then he indicated if I would dance again the band would do an encore.
So away we went again!
Then I staggered out to the bar area to dive into a large gin and tonic - waving the video camera away and assuring the young chappie on the sharp end of the camera I was so ordinary that in Howl At The Moon in Narre Warren I just jigged on the edge of the dance floor and let the young 'uns do it
M said that I had inspired a generation. But I don't think so.
First off you have to really really want to dance. Come as you are. Be cool.

The Best Pizza in Rome!

by Lydita about Dar Poeta

Even though this place is always packed, and it's quite difficult to get a table, it's worth waiting! This really small restaurant may not be quite comfortable, but it's very cosy, the decoration isn't luxurious, but the food is absolutely fantastic! There are about 30 types of pizza to choose, all delicious and cheap... If the dough of the "pizza romana" use to be thin and crunchy, and the "pizza napoletana" is thick and spongy, the Dar Poeta pizza dough is different to both of them, it' just perfect! Calzone di pollo! and Calzone di Nutella! Mamma Mia che nostalgia!

Great Tour Guide in Rome!!!!

by alina578

While staying in Tuscany my family and I decided to take one day to head to Rome. We knew it would be a tiny bite but really wanted to get the most of our short time there. We decided to use Through Eternity Tours to take the 7 of us on a private tour. It was perfect. Our tour guide, Ian, was such a knowledgeable and fun guide. He had such fascinating information and historic details. He was an archeologist and also funny and interesting. In the middle telling us about Julius Caesar while at the Forum, he started reciting/performing Shakespeare!!! He made the tour very interesting. Although exhausted by the end of the day, we were able to see all the sights we wanted and learned a lot too.

Comments