2.5 out of 5 stars2.5 Stars

Casino's FacadeCasino's Facade

VIATOR CITY BUS TOUR LINE

by friendly3330

Hi VTers,
Sorry the first quetion was not finished. So we need to use a hop on hop off city bus tour because one person cannot walk distances.
On the internet we found a city bus tour line called VIATOR that goes around the city making 17 stops.
Does anyone know if VIATOR is a legitimate & reliable bus line? Has anyone used VIATOR or heard of it? We want to book the trip before we go to Rome while still at home.

Thanks for your help........

Re: VIATOR CITY BUS TOUR LINE

by puerto_lover

In think VIATOR is an Internet based tour agent which fixes deals for tours and other travel related things for people. I don't think they actually operate the buses. In Rome there are a few bus tours offering similar tours. According to this web site, there are no less than 7. If you are interested in taking a tour then why not look through this site and see if you prefer one over another?

Re: VIATOR CITY BUS TOUR LINE

by friendly3330

Thanks very much for the HOHO site. We are going to use one of those buses instead. You were big help....

Travel Tips for Rome

to ATM or not to ATM

by monorailgold

One of the questions I get most often from my friends before they travel is "How much cash should I take with me?" followed closely by "How much cash should I change into Euros before I go?" My answer is always the same. Take about 100 american and 100Euros. These amounts will get you by until you can get to an ATM machine. I use my ATM all over Rome. I usually take out the maximum for the day while I'm at my hotel. I only take with me, for the day , as much as I think I will need plus about 50 bucks. This includes entrance fees and food. The rest I leave in my hotel safe. I take a credit card with me for other purchases.
That being said, before I leave the states, I let my bank know that I will be in Europe (Rome). I also have them up my limit as to how much I can take out a day. This way there are less fees becouse I dont need to take out money every day. I also make sure that my pin will work in Europe. I dont think it happens much anymore, but some machines use to only take an 8 number pin, with no letters. Now I think the norm is all machines use 4 number pins. If you are worried about taking an ATM that is linked to all of your accounts (checking, saving, investments) open a travel account. This way you can put your money into a totally seperate account and be certain that if you did lose your card your main account wont be wiped out.
As a last precaution, before we go we usually give my mom my deposit slips. This way if the unexpected happens and we need emergency cash, she can put some into the account to help us out. This has only happened once, when there was an airplane snaffu but it sure did come in handy. Remember a lot of the attractions do not take credit cards. They all prefer cash. These include the colosseum, baths of caracalla and so on. I do take my credit card with me every day and use it when I can but I mostly end up paying in cash. Most smaller restaurants only take cash, too.

Packing List

by Kettleman

Bags that aren't too heavy and ones you can secure to you when in public places like the main railway station. If you plan to see the sights, you might do a lot of walking, pack some decent shoes! Everything you could possibly want is available, but take Diacal, or Imodium for tne UK for that upset tummy. MONEY BELT!

Make sure your money is securely hidden with your other below the waist valuables!

Toys

by ATLC about Al Sogno

On the corner of Piazza Navona, there is a lovely toyshop that's like a fairytale to wander in. It's all beautifully laid out, very full and if you want to go upstairs, then simply ask. The stairs are corded off but you can ask to go up. Loads and loads of lovely fluffy toys, many dog and cat breeds. Also games and fairy tale stuff. Venetian masks. Games and toys of the more luxurious kind. Anything between a few euro and much more :-)

It's only cheese, pasta and butter!

by johnaalex about Alfredo's

This place as being the restaurant where they invented Fettuccine Alfredo. I am sure the story the waiter goes at great lengths to tell is true, but to my mind there is the possibility that Alfredo dropped a load of cheese on his pasta by accident rather than deisgn. Fettuccine Alfredo is practically forced upon you as a starter. Beware the serving is very big and is easily a starter for 4 (and I don't do small portions). The mixing of cheese and pasta is done table side to add to the theatre of the whole deal.

To be honest I was not that impressed.

Cheap and solid

by baronedivandastad about Ciccia Bomba

Wonderfully located a few steps from Piazza Navona, the place is usually quite packed by locals and tourists alike. The menu is nothing worth a bow, but it's solid and pretty local. Some good and some not so good stuff in the wine list, with a couple of excellently priced labels from Lazio. They should insist more on local wines rather than proposing the likes of Solaia. Anyway, the price was really honest, 19 euros per person with wine for a 2-course meal. Book in advance or go after 9.30 pm when tourists start leaving. Bruschetta con lardo di colonnata. Lardo is pure pork fat, and in Colonnata (Tuscany) they make it in marble bowls, which renders it special and soft. Melts in your mouth.

Comments