Asian Rest House B&B

Asian Rest House B&B
Venere.com Travelocity Tingo.com

More about Rome

Inside the PantheonInside the Pantheon

Palazzo Senatorio (Apr 09)Palazzo Senatorio (Apr 09)

The Arch of JanusThe Arch of Janus

Our GroupOur Group

roma card.

by katcharlie

I am considering buying a roma card, just wondering if the admission to the castle sant angleo is free with this card, I wondering if this card is worth buying, I have already booked the vatican musuem on line for an evening visit in October, I konw vatican city is not covered on the card.
kathy

Re: roma card.

by mccalpin

The answer to Castel Sant'Angelo is "yes" - see
(it's one of the locations listed on the official website).

Note that only the first 2 sites are free and the others are discounted.

As for whether the card is worth it, it depends on a number of factors. How many State museums and other sites are you planning on seeing? If it's just the Vatican and the Castel Sant'Angelo, then the answer is 'no'.

The other component of the Rome Pass is the 3 day ATAC (public transit system) pass. Note, however, that you may not actually use the public transit system that much, and each ride is only 1 euro (for up to 75 minutes, so includes transfers). A lot of us are so busy walking that even after three days, we won't have taken the bus or Metro that often, and it would have been cheaper buying tickets on a pay-as-you-go basis (of course, buying the pass eliminates the need to buy separate tickets).

If you decide that you want the 3-day ATAC pass but aren't sure about the Roma Pass, note that all the places that sell bus tickets (i.e., everywhere) also sell 3-day ATAC passes by themselves (see
) for only 11 euro.

Make sense?

Bill

Re: roma card.

by WheninRome

We were in Rome 1 week and bought a Roma Pass for the first 3 days, then bought a 3-day ATAC pass for the remainder of the week. I thought the Roma Pass was definitely worth it. We used it to get into the Coloseum/Forum and Borghese Gallery free and other museums at a discount - we loaded up on those sites our 1st 3 days to maximize the Pass. I would use the free Roma Pass visits for 2 of your most expensive sites and also the 2 that have the longest waiting lines as it will allow you to bypass the lines, which at the Coloseum saved us at least 2-3 hours.

Last, we did a lot of walking, but also took the bus a great deal. Gaining a good feel for the bus system will open much more of Rome up to you and allow you to do more in less time. If your hotel is outside of the main sightseeing areas then utilizing the buses will be mandatory.

Travel Tips for Rome

The Pantheon. One of the most...

by krossbow

The Pantheon. One of the most perfect buildings I have ever been in. It's inspiring. I would love to be there when it is raining or snowing and see a perfect column coming down the center. Sitting in the center of the Campo de' Fiori watching life happen.

Pack light!

by sue_stone

My best advice when travelling to Rome is to pack light - you never know how much shopping you may do whilst there!

Also, cobble stones don't make it easy to drag luggage from the train station to your hotel.... Make sure you bring comfortable shoes - you will walk and walk and walk in Rome.

I never bother with heels when travelling in Italy - too many cobble stones to contend with. Never leave home without your camera, and plenty of spare batteries, cf cards/films etc.

There are so many great photo opportunities in Rome. Another good reason to pack light - imagine if you ended up with a hire car like this one!!!

Bookworm Tip

by nicolettart about Rizzoli

This shop specializes in all kinds of books (in Italian). I bought cookbooks, magazines, and Roberto Benigni's Pinocchio book (the movie had just come out). Of special interest to me was a Roman recipe book with pictures. Italian books and magazines in Little Italy, NY would cost much, much more.

From any place in Europe by...

by mannymiami

From any place in Europe by train you arrive at the Stazione Termini. Once you arrive you can check your bags at a baggage office and walk around outside the train station for a cheap hotel. Before I arrived in Rome I would hear that this area was very dangerous and for me , coming from New York it was just like the area around Penn Station in NYC. It wasnt that bad at all. Believe me...

Delicious new Italian food.

by oneonta_ni about Zi Gaetana

This place was a real gem and our only disappointment was that we found it at the end of our break and could only visit once. The food is definitely Italian but very unusual and new dishes. The decor is bright and modern with light wood and bright lights. The service was extremely good and attentive without being too obtrusive. GF's meal was: antipasta - smoked salmon wrapped around rocket mousse with coconut oil, pasta - taglioni with courgette blossoms and fresh anchovy fillets, mains - (see photo) fillet of grouper on a bed of mushed corn/polenta. Dessert was very unusual - it was plate of various friuts and nuts that had been hollowed out and filled with ice cream. For example, there was a walnut filled with walnut ice cream, a prickly pear filled with prickly pear ice cream, pomegranite filled with pomegranite ice cream and so on. All really delicious and home made.

JF - I had had a big pizza in the middle of the day and was not too hungry so I went for lighter foods. Antipasta - salad of rocket, cherry tomatoes and shaved cheese (forgot what kind but it was like pecorino), pasta - gnocchi with spicey chicory and cod (really delicious). I wasn't able for a secondo and skipped it in favour of dessert. My dessert was called peach and hazelnut tart but was more of a hazelnut muffin with peaches.

We had a bottle of Pignoletto Frizzante, a refreshing sparkling white wine and a bottle of mineral water. The total was €65.

Comments