Astrid Roma

More about Rome

romerome

DetailDetail

Main AltarMain Altar

Vittoriano - inner staircase.Vittoriano - inner staircase.

typical time of response from UFFICIO SCAVI to book a tour of the excavations

by dnat

Does anyone have any experience in what is typical response time in hearing back from the ufficio scavi to book a tour of the excavations and saint peters tomb, I emailed them about 2 weeks ago and gave them 10 days in September that Im available to tour. I got the automated response that they are processing my request but the site and email were vague as to whether they would respond if they werent able to find me an available date.

Thanks
dnat

Re: typical time of response from UFFICIO SCAVI to book a tour of the excavations

by domenicococozza

You may want to remind them.
Italians are notoriously slow at responding to emails (if at all).
I do all my business in Italy and I normally have to send 2 or 3 emails followed by phone calls on just about every subject.
You could try calling them on 0039 06 6988 5318.

by leics

Yes, probably a good idea.

As Domenico says, responses are not always speedy (understatement). I'd just send them another mail, and perhaps another....then I'd phone (but it will cost you, of course).

Or you could try faxing them as well. Faxes are sometimes better, because they don't get caught by spam filters (which may have happened to yours) and are guaranteed to be seen by someone! Here's the fax numbers:

+39 06 6987 3017 +39 06 6988 5518

by dnat

no my email didnt get caught by a spam filter, as my email stated that I had already gotten an autmated response stating that they had received my request.

by dnat

thanks domenic i was inclined to call them but as the website clearly stated that all correspondence would be by email or fax only and the phone number was not provided I didn't see that as an option, but I will try that phone number
thanks

by leics

I do apologise for having missed the 'automated response' bit in your original post.

But the fact that you got one doesn't mean anyone has actually read your email, of course.

So I'd fax.

by davlap

i dont have actual knowledge on the ufficio scavi, but can tell you several things about italy.A joke email in italy my brothered showed me, shows ,to get from a to b you have to go to c d e f g h i j first then to b thats Italy.It is a place laden with burachracy.i have also had paperwork needing attention , and emails often dont get replied. but dont stress, it does work.best way is if you can get someone there to help or ring.

by JohanIsWeg

I found the Ufficio Scavi very prompt and extremely helpful. Got my email confirmation within a couple of days, and when I followed up with a query, they responded within a day.

by annahill

Hi,

It took about 2 weeks for my to get my reply. When you do get it make sure your reserve your spot right away, I waited and lost mine. Good luck.

Anna

Travel Tips for Rome

Rome By Night

by Jeannkelly

If you think that Rome is splendid during the day, wait until the sun goes down and try going around the City. The best time to go around to seeyour faved tourist spots is around midnight , when all lights/lamp posts are turned on. The City will just become even more splendid. Driving around the city in the night is a different experience. When all the tourists, pedestrians and cars are gone, the City is just a place perfect to go around and just sight-see

When in Rome, don't miss this experience. Try going around the City and visit your favorite spots in the night . If you have company, you can do it by feet or someone can drive for you (take a cab, make sure you have company for safety and economic reasons as well or perhaps me and other VTrs in Rome can drive you around ;-), then it would be easier.

Surprise ID of 3 Coeds

by mccalpin

The most remarkable thing that happened that day in which I saw 3 of my students hand-in-hand with 11 Italian soldiers was not that I was able to chase the soldiers off so easily (I didn't understand the culture so well then), but actually happened several hours later that same day.

I was sitting in my office telling this story to Dina S-. Dina was the daughter of one of the owners of the building that UD was located in. Dina spoke far better Italian that I did, but with a very noticeable New Jersey accent.

While I was telling Dina this story, I was thumbing through the student IDs that had just come in for all the students on campus. I was just about to pull out the IDs of the three girls who had been the center of so much attention, when Dina stopped me, and said "Give them to me."

Surprised, I handed over the student IDs, little folded cardboard things with a photo inside. After a few seconds, DIna pulled out and handed me three cards. They were the cards of the three girls in question.

I was astonished, since I hadn't told Dina their names. How did she do it?

Dina explained that it was easy. Girls from rural areas of the U.S. - especially the South like Texas - have this easy, open expression, that makes them total suckers for men in urban environments. These girls all had big smiles for the student IDs, something that girls from urban environments don't do. Girls from U.S. rural environments don't know how to say "No" rudely, because they never really have to.

Please see the next Local Custom Tip - "Why Some People - Like Coeds - Can't Be Themselves."

Drop by Eliseo Theatre for an apertif

by icunme

"Drink in art" - Sunday 19,30 through April 9, 2006 - FREE entrance.

Drink in art is all about experience a different kind of theatre.

The Luchino Visconti and Romolo Valli foyers of the Eliseo Theatre are transformed into spaces in which you can get to know people, drink an aperitif, and attend concerts, performances, readings, exhibitions and theatrical performances.

An event that cannot be missed.

Via Nazionale, 183

Via Appia Antica

by belgianchocolate

We really enjoyed our 3 km walk on the
via appia antiqua. The surroundings are really
great. Problem was , at the end of our walk the
tree of us decided that walking back wasn't a
nice sollution. The sun was burning unmercifull
and we had seen it by now. We didn't want to
loose more precious time in Rome.

Problem is that ALL the tourist guide books
say that there is no way bak , then to walk.
Well , we Belgians , described by Ceasar
as the bravest of them all... we didn't
believed that.

First you stop for a drink at the crossing of the
'via tor carbone' and the 'via appia antica'.
A fresh water fountain is waiting for you.

Then you walk a little bit down the road ,
busstop 'via erode attico' is waiting for you.
Get on the bus and get off at metro station
'arco di Travertino'.
Now it is just a matter of minutes
-your on line A.-untill your back in the city center.

Street Vendors Are the Bomb

by WheninRome about Street Vendors

I have to give a shout out to the street vendors. That was some of my favorite, quick food in Rome, perfect for when you don't want to take a hour or 2 out of your day to sit down and eat.

I loved the roasted chestnut vendors (these guys are probably only out in the winter and are probably replaced by ice cream vendors in the summer). A picture is below.

I also got a surprisingly good proscuitto sandwhich from a street vendor and a "mystery meat" sandwhich from a street vendor on New Year's Eve, which was also good.

Comments