At The Center of Rome

The Center of Rome B&B
Expedia.com Hotels.com Venere.com

More about Rome

Arch of ConstantineArch of Constantine

Tevere-Tiber near Castel Sant'Angelo.Tevere-Tiber near Castel Sant'Angelo.

Piazza di Torre ArgentinaPiazza di Torre Argentina

Part of "Mussolini's" house and balcony partPart of "Mussolini's" house and balcony part

rome airport

by genebeans

Arriving next month in Rome and have to change planes to Naples- Is the procedure the same as Milan whereby we can by pass the long lines and go to a line that checks passports for connecting flights?-Thanks you-Gene

by footstool

in April 2007, I flew direct from New York to Rome, then changed planes to Naples. In Naples, we then rented car to drive along Amalfi Coast. I hated changing planes in Rome, as we had to wait for bus to next terminal, then go through metal detector at new terminal, then check 1 of the 2 carry-on bags, all within a narrow 2 hour window. This was time-wasting and just plain nerve-wracking. If I could do it all over again, I would have rented a car in ROME, and just driven through or by Naples, on the way to the Amalfi Coast (to Salerno on the A3, then West thru Minori, Maori, Praiano, then to our hotel in Positano). does this address your question?! Buon viaggio!

by leics

Are you changing carrier?

If you are, you will have to pass through immigration, collect your bags, go through customs and then check-in and go through security, all of which will take time.

I do not know whether there are separate check-ins for connecting passengers. This will depend on the airline rather than the airport. If you are travelling with the same airline, then your bags will be checked-through and the airline staff should ensure your transit is as speedy as possible.

by domenicococozza

Before 9/11, you were able to transit internally at Fiumicino, but the adjustments to the New York skyline put paid to that. Who are you flying with Gene?
Is it Alitalia?

Travel Tips for Rome

visit the master piece of...

by zheyy

visit the master piece of Michelangelo - Piazza del Campidoglio (More pics are in Travelogue ^^) I knew it long time ago The pattern of the oval square was used or simulated many times in modern architecture design. But it's still out of my expectation.
I sat beside the fountain in the square for a long time, in that hot summer afternoon; I went up and down several times along the front ramp, left-side stairs just to experience the spatial sequence...

San Luigi dei Francesi - Contarelli Chapel

by Callavetta

In the Church of San Luigi dei Francesi you will find this Caravaggio painting, "The Martyrdom of St. Matthew". I had read a biography of this painter shortly before my trip and I don't think it really occurred to me how great his talent really was until I saw the painting in person. A euro coin activated a light in the chapel and when turned on the painting took on a life of its own. Caravaggio's use of color and light was truly inspired.

Taxi Fares

by hsg192

If you decide to use a taxi, either from the airport or just around Rome, you should agree on the fare being metered before you start your journey.
Unfortunately, a few drivers are not so honest especially when they know you are a tourist, they say it is cheaper to just charge a set fare rather than using the taxi meter but I can assure you it is not.

If you are arriving at your destination at night as i did you will be often charged more money. On my first journey to Rome I arrived at night and was charged a fixed fare of 45 euros just to take a journey to my hotel which was less than 5 minutes journey, as I discovered later I was only a few minutes away on foot!!

Pizzeria Baffetto

by cpiers47 about Best Pizza in Rome?

This tiny restaraunt is declared the best pizza in Rome by all the guidebooks and Gormet magazine. If the lines outside are to be trusted, it is the best, or at least the best publicized. We decided we had to try and we thrilled that it would be a cheap dinner. The pizza was excellent and the brushetta just enough to knock off the edge of hunger after a long day of exploring.

The place is TINY and so to have five people at a table was crammed. The staff was rushed and the table fee higher than usual. Still, it was a fun experience and worth a little wait. Pizza Margherita

Flying Twirly things

by BlueBeth

One late afternoon in Rome we decided to grab a bottle of wine and a couple of glasses and just sit and watch the circus that is Piazza Navona. What an evening! Alongside all the usual bag and belt sellers, there were people trying to sell some plastic toy things that flew into the air and flashed lights... Great for kids but two adults? Ok, I wanted one but I didn't succumb :o)
Just sitting there with my boyfriend enjoying the atmosphere was lovely and watching the sun disappear over the roofs of the buildings was magical. Once the fountains light up and the musicians start it becomes a real party!

Comments