Atlante Star Hotel

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Atlante Star Hotel

Unbelievable!!

"My husband and I just came back from Rome. We had a great time and we enjoyed very much our stay at the Hotel Atlante Star. Our room was nice and the staff was very polite and helpful. The view from the roof top terrace and Restaurant was unbelievable. The location of the Hotel is perfect for getting around the city".

great location, good rooms

We went to Rome in Summer 2003. After reading the other review from June 26,2003- I had almost the same experience. We had booked at the Golden House B&B, but were told the A/C was out so they were moving us to another floor with no extra charge. Yes, the room was small, but we had enough closet space to put both of our LARGE duffle bags and hang a few things. While one desk clerk was not so friendly, another remembered us upon sight and was helpful. I agree the elevators were tiny, but at least there WAS an elevator. We enjoyed the breakfast, the view and the location. I would stay here again.

Deceptive website--Do not stay here

by TripAdvisor Member Herkdrvr

Here is the short version:

1) Does the hotel have (probably) the best view of St. Peter's in Rome? Yes

2) Is it worth staying at this hotel at any price? NO!

The web designer should be promoted and given a raise. The website makes this hotel look sumptuous and amazing when in reality the rooms are small (even by European standards), noisy, leaky bathroom fixtures, and they are hot.

To add insult to injury, I thought this was going to be the "good" hotel for my wife and I to "kick off" our big European trip. King bed, jacuzzi, etc. The "king bed" just makes your room smaller (I know because they tried to put us in a standard room and charge us the king price), the jacuzzi is unusable since it's really just a small *dirty* bathtub with unserviceable jets, and the hairdryer is a joke--a vacuum tube that blows hot air.

I'd be happy to answer anyone's questions about this hotel. The best part of this hotel is the view, but guess what--you can climb St. Peter's basilica and get an even better one. I'd stay somewhere else, and we did. We went to the "Rose Garden Palace" on Via Boncompagni in Rome across from the US embassy. Decor needs some updating there, but the location is good, service was wonderful, room was large, and I was much happier.

Atlante Star should be Atlante Sham. 25 June 2004.

Nickian

Great restaurant but dark rooms

We got kind of disappointed by the general look
of the hotel. The pictures you see on the website
are located only on the last floor. The room we had
was not remodeled , with bare floors and kind of dark.The indoor restarant on top floor has beautiful view of bacilica. I would try another hotel next time.

A place to store your suitcases

We were at the Atlante Star July 30- August 3 Our room, #308, was a "drive in, back out" type room. We were prepared for a small room, but this was SMALL! I will not say we had a bad stay because we were rarely at the hotel, but out exploring and touring. This was the main reason to go! The beds were comfortable, room clean and breakfast was nice, but not extraordinary. We appreciated being about only 2-3 blocks away from the Vatican. Metro was maybe 3-4 blocks. We walked to all of the sites, including the Coloseum, the farthest away. One tip to pass on: they advertise free pick up at the airport, but charge $45 to take you back. We considered this reasonable, as the taxi would charge $50+ and taking the Metro to the train station to get to the airport with baggage was too much of a hassle. We ate most of our suppers at the little mom and pop restaurant around the corner. After you exit the hotel, turn right and go to the right around the corner. They have tables set up on the side walk in the next block. Happy "Rome-ing!"

Great Staff - Good Rooms- Lousy Food

Like most european small hotels, Upper level rooms are on the small side , but well kept. Hotel needed some minor repairs, but quaint. Staff was excellent and went out of their way to be helpful. Good location in vatican district- exceptional rooftop garden view.

Only draw back was the food in the Restaurant - the only thing the Restaurant has going for it is the view...which helps the chef since it distracts you from what the food tastes like- popular dining spot with bus tours and company pedestrian dinners

Very Rude Staff

On the surface we thought we would enjoy this hotel. The rooms looked nice enough on the website. The rooms were indeed nice LOOKING, but the hotel is outrageousy loud from outside noise. We were treated poorly when we asked to change rooms. The worst injustice was when the front desk person made a mistake in our checkout date and a different attendant told us to "go back to America". I am a very forgiving, patient person, but the rudeness experienced here was too much (and I have an Italian last name).

Much to recommend it

by TripAdvisor Member Familytraveller31

My family of five stayed here for a week in July of 2002. We had two non-adjoining rooms, which were comfortable but not elegant. The rooms are not the reason to stay. The better qualities were the nice and helpful staff, a decent price in a somewhat pricey European capital, the ample and delicious breakfast from a rooftop restaurant with a view of St. Peter's dome that has to be seen to be believed, a quiet location on the Vatican side of the river but still accessible to the sights of glorious Rome, and the hotel arranged pickup from the airport, which was terrific after a long and tiring flight from the US.

This is not a 3.5 star facility

Initial check-in should have been a clue. A bearded indiviual was on his cell phone and did not acknowledge our arrival for 4 minutes. Rooms were dark and dingy nothing like the website. Hotel needs attention - lot of deferred maintenance cracked mirror in the elevator and resturant areas. Our associates found a cockroach in their room. Although the Vatican is near this is not the best area in Rome.

Atlante was great

We were there for 4 days in the end of August. It was one of the highlights of our trip. A most enjoyable stay. I will highly recommend your establishment to others in the future. I have already advised my travel agent as to the attention to excellence you

put forth. When we return to Rome, we will DEFINITELY have you on our list of "TO DO'S".

Weeping angel.Weeping angel.

Fountain + S.Maria in Cosmedin, Roma, 05/07Fountain + S.Maria in Cosmedin, Roma, 05/07

Ara Pacis, Detail, May 2007Ara Pacis, Detail, May 2007

Athlete with Ram's Head, 30.May.2007Athlete with Ram's Head, 30.May.2007

Where else in Italy is good for visiting ancient ruins etc, similar to Rome?

by purplefish

My partner and I went to Rome for five days in May 2007 and loved it - we particularly enjoyed the ancient ruins etc (and were less keen on the renaissance paintings and galleries).

Can anyone recommend any other good locations in italy for a similar atmosphere? We thought the colluseum, Roman Forum and Palentino Hill were great, and we also enjoyed the pantheon and, don't get me wrong, we found some of the basillicas and the vatican city very interesting. Didn't quite find trailing through the Vatican galleries quite so interesting though, and the hot and thirsty walks to both the Trevi Fountain and the Spanish steps didn't quite seem worth it either! (sorry very fussy I know!)

Does anyone know of any atmospheric tumbling ruins anywhere that might suit us?

Re: Where else in Italy is good for visiting ancient ruins etc, similar to Rome?

by leics

Not fussy at all, imo; clearly people with minds similar to mine!

However, Rome is entirely special; maybe you should go again, because there is nowhere else quite like it. Did you get to the Appian Way, and wander along the Roman flagstones towards the countryside, passing tombs on the way (and perhaps thinking of the thousand of slaves crucified along that road after the revolt led by Spartacus)? Did you see the Roman 'house' tombs in the catacombs nearby? Did you visit the less well-known remains in the city itself (the baths of Caracalla, for example)? Did you vist Ostia Antica, a mini-Pompeii with far fewer visitors and a very special atmosphere? If the answer is no, then go to Rome again!

There's Pompeii and Herculaneum, of course. I've not been yet, but I d suspect they might be a little over-populated with visitors at times........maybe you could base yourself in Naples or nearby and visit both sites over several days?

Or you could base yourself in Florence and explore the Etruscan remains at Fiesole, then take daytrips to Lucca and Siena and other walled towns (their Medieval character is much more apparent and less overblown/Baroque than Rome).

Maybe someone will come up with an even better idea for both of us!

by robine

For archeological remains Pompeii and Herculaneum really have no rival.

by kathymof

There are also some interesting ruins in Sicily

by sierralyndon

Yes, Sicily has some gorgeous Greek temples. They say they're better preserved than in Greece. I've seen the ones in Agrigento and Segesta - quite amazing.

by Jetgirly

There are also Greek ruins in Paestum (not too far from Salerno, which is not too far from Naples) which I enjoyed visiting more than Pompeii or Herculaneum. There were almost no other people there!

by MSLIV