Augustus

Costs 20% less but rated 49% lower than other 3 star hotels

More about Rome

Il VittorianoIl Vittoriano

Arco di Tito, Detail, Roma, May 2007Arco di Tito, Detail, Roma, May 2007

Evangelista, Tom + carciofi al mattone, May 2007Evangelista, Tom + carciofi al mattone, May 2007

Rome by JelenaRome by Jelena

something new for me

by embi40

I'm heading to Rome in August- yup, I know all about the hot nad humid, and how everyone heads to the beach. I have been to Rome 3 times but always in the fall, and I have always stayed in a hotel. This time I'm staying with a friend.

I know to dress appropriately for visiting churches and I know to bring my sunscreen and shades. Is there anything special I might need specifically for summer in Roma?

I'd like to bring a gift for my host- a 30yr old man. Suggestions? It's funny- because whenever I try to think if something uniquely "American" all I can think of is The Simpsons....

Thanks everyone-
Embi

by mccalpin

1. If you are the sweating type (not to get personal), having extra shirts/tops (or knowing that you can wash them daily in your room or at your host's place) will be helpful. I found myself changing shirts twice a day, as walking in the summer in Rome works up a sweat, and the airconditioning - when it exists at all - is not up to US standards.

2. It's hard to bring anything from the States anymore that they don't already have in Europe. Personally, I'd try to bring something unique, like an American bourbon. I don't know if bourbon (at least 51% corn mash) is made at all in Europe, and I don't know how much is imported.

Bill

by effeti

Hi Emby Hi Bill

I thought of Bourbon, too. Sure, you can find it here in the best spirit shops, but a good bottle of a little unknow brand would be appreciated... If you host likes the gender.

The problem is with actual fligths security rules you have to ship it in your baggage... So wrap it well in bubbles packs... you don't want a bottle of bourbon to be broken inside your luggage before even arriving to your destination, right?

Ciao
Francesco

by mccalpin

heehee, Francesco, if the bottle breaks and soaks your clothing, then you will smell so nice each day as you sweat in your clothes in the sun ;-)

Bill

by Roadquill

1.) a small umbrella (we have been rained on several times during the summer in Roma, 2.) a hiking belt where you can carry a sports water bottle, you will be refilling them from the water fountains that abound and 3.) a sports cap.

by i-bella

For the gift, items from brands like Levi's or Lee are rather expensive in Italy, so they would be appreciated. If you think it is too personal or don't know the size, a baseball cap with the emblem of a famous team. Carrying a bottle of bourbon is not very practical, but you can bring a book of cocktail recipes. People in the 20s and 30s love cocktails, so you host may be glad to learn about the most up to date mixes.

by guzzino

probably the best thing you can do is thinking american for your friend!If HE is italian like me He will like it.
Ciao
Giancarlo

Travel Tips for Rome

Grafted Onto the Old

by mrclay2000

In many places throughout Rome you will see outward columns fused onto a modern constructions. The Teatro Marcello was once a miniature amphitheater near the river, and today looks somewhat like a smaller, filled-in Coliseum. Look for the arches from Rome's ancient and medieval past to see how they are kept alive by serving as modern foundations for today's architecture.

Mysterious CALCATA, a...

by drolkar

Mysterious CALCATA, a strikingly beautiful hill village near Rome which dates back to the Middle Ages... and has apparently become the New Age center of central Italy. Mystical connections abound here, and in the shops you will find more arts and crafts from India than from Italy.
Please see the Travelogue for more photos...

Having fun in Testaccio

by janchan about Testaccio area

A great place, plenty of locals "for Romans", usually quite cheap and/or alternative. There are also some very good but small theatres and cinemas and during summer it is a must for live concerts.

One of my favorite locals is the Radio Londra Café in Via Monte Testaccio, 65b... with live music and a good choice of drinks and food. Extremely casual.. :)

Great service and good English

by Mtn_Sea about Don Chiocte in Piazza Navona

This resturants in in Piazza Navona. the food is excellent and Sergio, the owner/manager is great. He lived in the UK, so his english is excellent. Our son is gluten intollerant and they went out of their way to put together a meal he could enjoy and be safe with. We went back twice. the view is also great from the outside tables overlooking the three fountains in Piazza Navoan. As anyplace in Italy, any pasta.

The Vatican

by stevemt

The first thing I did in Rome was get a hop on hop off bus ticket valid for 24 hours. about the 5th stop for me was the Vatican, I got off and stayed there for most of the rest of the day.

Its awe inspiring, inspirational, humbling in a way, a treasure trove of art works, a masterpiece of engineering, all this and more (and I am not Catholic)

Entering St Peters Square is a feeling all on its own, you have seen this place in the news, in TV broadcasts, and suddenly here you are yourself. The symetry of the place is perfectand it does have a special feel.

When you finally enter the Basilica (through the security control) and there is no fee to enter, a rareity these days, again you are overawed with the sheer size and beauty of the place. There is so much to see here, if you are one of the faithful, there is generally a service going on that you can partake in, or side chaples that you can have some quiet time in.

The St Peter Catacombes are open to the public generally and are situated below the main altar. There are also a reasonable number of Sarcophagi on display, some with glass walls so you can actually see the odd Pope or 2 from the past.

The Swiss Guards who guard the Vatican are all Swiss Nationals, and supposedly wear a uniform designed by Michaelangelo.

The Musems I will write about seperatly along with the Sistine Chapel.

Comments