Aurelia Sleep Home

More about Rome

Tomb of Vittorio Emmanuel IITomb of Vittorio Emmanuel II

Catacombs of San SebastianoCatacombs of San Sebastiano

the safety-lockthe safety-lock

von.otter at the grave of Shelley, Rome, May 2007von.otter at the grave of Shelley, Rome, May 2007

Scooter Rental in Rome

by adambeau

Hi there, and thank you in advance for any and all replies.

Few questions:
I am seriously looking for the 'best' scooter rental shop in Rome, Italy. (Dates April 13 thru April 26) (a true Vespa preferred)
I've checked out the web and have about 15 different locations around Rome that rent scooters to us crazy tourists, but would like your feedback-good or bad-about which of them you recommend or "don't", include any previous experience with management, returns, or anything you think important.

Am I correct, that you DO NOT need an international drivers license for scooters, and that your regular country's normal driver's license is all that's required? along with approp. deposit.

Prices seem average from 98eur/day for a miserable 50cc up to 130eur/day for 125cc+. I plan to rent for a full week (or two) and the rates drop to about 310-500eur/7days.

I'm also interested in that new 3 wheeled 'thing' by Piaggo, called an MP3, a slammin' 250cc, and have only found 1 place that rents them for about 80eur/day.

Last Q: Are advance reservations suggested? or if I just show up will they have rentals available?

Thank you again.
~ciao, mille grazie

by Chrissy50

Hi,

I can't help you with the bulk of your question but I can with the Licence, you don't need International License any more, Scooter or not, just your normal License is fine. My husband has a Vesper, he bought it when I was in Italy and just loves it, not that has much to do with what you want but I did ask him about the Piaggo which he has ridden, in Australia we only have the 250cc version at the moment and he says they have no - His words "guts" - but Vesper make a 400cc and Piaggo a 500cc, his suggestion is to get the 4 or 500 cc. He is waiting for them to come into the country.

Hope I have helped a little.

Best wishes, Christine

by monorailgold

Hello,

I must ask- have you been to Rome before and driven a vespa there? If not, you might seriously want to re-consider this choice. The driving there is terrible and the scooters seem to have special rules of operation. It is nothing like here in the States. The first time I was planning a trip to Rome I wanted to rent a vespa but my hubby talked me out of it. I'm so glad he did. I would have been terrified to take in onto the streets after watching how the locals drive. Please, be very careful if you do this.

Donna

by adambeau

Thank you for responding.
I'd heard about the International Driver's license being unnecessary now just wanted to confirm that, thank you. Most 'scooters' are very weak engine but I don't want a pocket-rocket either, not with the price of fuel today, so I will just wing it and see if they have something useful and fun.
Again, thank you for reply.

~Beau

by adambeau

Hi there, and thank you for reply. Yes, the Italian driver is a bit 'different' than here in the USA, Thank GOD! lol! I have not driven in Italy, yet, but have at least watched them and I agree, it's a bit unnerving to most tourists.
I survived the autobahn without speedlimits thru German and Austria, so this will be exciting, too.

It will be fun though, adding to the chaos, :), and thank you for your concern. I'll be careful. ;0 <--- (and screaming a bit) hahaha.

~Beau

Travel Tips for Rome

Spanish Steps...

by CandS

We thought the Spanish Steps would be a great place to stop and eat our breakfast so we sat down on the steps and got our food ready...a minute later a Policeman started blowing his whistle and yelling at us (in Italian of course so we couldn't understand him)...apparantely there is no eating on the steps ...haha! We found a sign telling us so as we left...

More Valentino

by ATLC

I want to have an excuse to put up more photos of the Valentino exhibit :-)
When our Dutch crown prince Willem-Alexander married Màxima Zorreguieta, the bride wore a bridal gown made by Valentino. Of course it was also in the exhibition in Rome.
And so were many famous gowns worn by equally famous women over the last 45 years: European and American actresses, wives of politicians internationally... so many familiar gowns that we usually only admire in magazines and on television.
I managed to make some closeups that show the craftmanship of the people that execute Valentino's designs.

Headquarters in Milan and Rome (Piazza Mignanelli 22, 00187 Roma)
In Rome there are 3 Valentino stores:
Via Condotti 13, Via del Babuino 61 and Via Bocca di Leone 15.

Public Transport in Rome:BUS & METRO

by freethinker

We were in Rome during weekdays. We don't know whether it is because of that or for someother reason we did not have to face the so-called crowd either in Metro or in Bus.
We were travelling with our child and were using the buggy too. No where we had to fold it in Rome. But while we were in Venice during the weekend, the crowd was quite maddening in extraurbano busses and in vaporetti(water bus) too.
While in Rome we found it useful to go by metro or bus specially if you have a less time in your hand or travelling with kids. You could save the time also to enjoy the spots by availing those busses and trains.
At first the bus routes may seem puzzling but with time you will get accustomed to it and even find out new ways to explore the city.
Here are the bus numbers we used during our tour in April'07.
For the busses:Things may get changed with time so better you check all these no. from ATAC site.

1.Termini to Colosseum: 3.6km
Metro line B from Termini going towards Laurentina(southbound, stop:colosseo)
2.Termini to Vatican:
metro line A stop:ottaviano vaticano(if want to see the basilica first)
Cipro(the next stop) if want to see museum first.
But in the first case you have to walk a lot.So better you avail the bus 66 from Termini.
3. Vatican to Pantheon:
bus no. 116(no metro line goes to that part of the city)
stop:Torre Argentina (4th stop from vatican)
4.Pantheon to Piazza Novana: a little walking distance if go from Pantheon
Direction: 1.3 km from Pantheon.BUS: 87(FROM COLOSSSEUM)492(FROM Piazza Berberini: metro stop on A line)70(From Termini)
5. Novanna to Piazza Berberini:(for Trevi or spnish step;see my tip on spanish steps from opposite site):bus no:492
In Rome it is true that things become much easier when you reach and avail the transport there and you can then take momentary desicions as well

By the Spanish Steps....

by Laura_Mexico about Mario

This restaurant is very close to Piazza di Spagna and, although it's small and not very luxurious, the food there is excellent and is a very well known restaurant both among tourists and Romans. The prices are a little high, but they're average prices if you consider that you're in an European country, and they are definitely worth it. Very Italian atmosphere too! And personal attention from its owner, Mr. Mario, and family. Minestrone al riso (which is a vegetable soup with rice and olive oil in it, EXCELLENT) and the Coniglio a la casserole (Rabbit meat), both very tasty, but I must say that any food there is great.

passport/driving licence

by 6aruna

if you are staying in campsites /youth hostels
they keep your passport under custody.

even though the passport is probably safe
you need it to rent audios in most museums in europe.

more than that you can't change a travellers cheque for than a 100 euros if you haven't one.

Comments