B&B Castro Pretorio

Via San Martino della Battaglia 15, Rome, 00169, Italy
B&B Castro Pretorio
Booking.com Hotels.com Venere.com

More about Rome

Courtyard, Santa Cecilia in Trastevere, 05/07Courtyard, Santa Cecilia in Trastevere, 05/07

Umbrella Pines, Ostia Antica, May 2007Umbrella Pines, Ostia Antica, May 2007

Assassins and catsAssassins and cats

Door at Castel Sant AngeloDoor at Castel Sant Angelo

gift for a firefighter

by KEH

I am leaving my husband home alone while I am taking my London/Paris/Rome trip with my recent high school graduate daughter. He is feeling a little left out. I am thinking it would be nice to get him something special. He is a career firefighter who helped during NYC 911 disaster, New Orleans Hurricane Katrina, and most recently a mass school shooting. (I am sharing this to let you know how near and dear emergency rescue is to his heart). Any suggestions on something special to bring a firefighter from Rome?
Thanks again.

by ricky52

A die cast model of an Italian fire engine?

by sirgaw

. . . with a Rosary dangling from the rear view mirror - LOL. OK I like a bit of black humour, but there is the CASA DEL ROSARIO, via Esquilino, 33-34 - opposite Santa Maria Maggario where there is heaps of souvineers - religious and general - at very good prices. Not sure if they'd have a die cast Roman fire engine - LOL - but I did see lots of die cast centurians and other small statues of former famous Romans (Nero and his mates).

by lmkluque

You might ask the Captian of your husband's company for a couple of badges from his Company to give to fire fighters in Rome and Paris in exchange for one from each of their companies. Then visit a station in each of those cities and ask if they'd be interested in an exchange.

I know that police officers do that between countries, fire fighters might also.

by kathymof

Linda - what a great idea!

by lmkluque

Thanks Kathy! :-)

Travel Tips for Rome

Virtual tour of Rome in German!

by Tijavi

This is supposed to be part of the "Warning or Danger" tips, but I am fully at fault here. Could it be the pint of beer I had before the virtual tour or the weariness after 3 weeks of non-stop sightseeing and masticating? Or both?

But that is jumping ahead of the story. On my 21st day in Italy - my last day - I decided to take it easy while I kill time before my flight. I thought a virtual travel of Roman history at the Time Elevator 3-D cinema would be a fitting finish to a wonderful trip. At 12 euros it wasn't cheap, and it was all worth it - IF only I seated myself in the right section, i.e. English section. By the time the movie started, I realized it was in German and I couldn't move anymore since I was strapped to my seat and it was simulated theater - I'd be thrown off I get off!

Moral of the experience: never watch a simulated movie tipsy, not even from a pint of beer!

Website link: Time Elevator

Packing List

by oanav

you should have a guidebook (I like the Michelin). Reading cultural or historical information about a place makes you enjoy more a trip, even if you don't remember half that stuff later, or if it seems like a difficult task to do on a holliday - look how upset I look while reading the guide!

Market - open every weekday

by Paisleypaul about Market near San Giovanni

I beleive this market is on every day of the week. *** UPDATE The street name is Via Sannio *** from San Giovanni underground, it's a left turn at the exit and you will see it on your left. It just looked like a long street of stalls to one side - but three quarters of the way along there is a turn off to a covered area and a square of market stalls

Daily 0830 -1330 Monday - Saturday I bought 2 bottle openers with kind of ethnic African with doctor heads for EU2 each. There are clothes and fake bags Gucci and D&G fake bags- we were askled for Eu37 but the y took Eu10 and then offered another at Eu8. Elsewhere a Eu25 bracelet went for Eu7. They nearly all negotiate and be aware you could be looking at a fraction of what has been asked

Simply Amazing!

by KavitaT about Dino and Tony's

The entire experience at Dino and Tony's was sublime! This was the best night that we spent in Italy. We walked into the restaurant which was packed, and were seated promptly. They didn't actually give us a menu- rather Dino or Tony themselves arrived to welcome us, converse and choose dishes especially for us!

The food was delicious, the wine was ever-flowing, and you really cannot beat the atmosphere!

Which was a great experience- since we didn't speak Italian!

It was a fun, vibrant and amazing place... full of joy and the quintessential Italian experience! An absolute must!

I will definitely go back to Rome (beautiful city), and I'm looking forward to my next visit to Dino and Tony's! Loved the Pizza at the beginning, the variety of appetizers and desserts, and the dolce vino at the end of the night- was amazing.

Gusto can play with all your senses

by Malecka

My friend took me to Gusto, on a Thursday night, when a live performance was also scheduled. An italian cheese plate, a bottle of Chianti and some Italian bread... I could have died right there, right then. It was fantastic. The food, the ambiance, the music...
Gusto is not the cheapest place and it can be quite crowded so reservations are also advised, but the place is just amazing. Give me cheese and wine and I am great!

Comments