B&B Caty Senior

Roman Forum and Palatine HillRoman Forum and Palatine Hill

Carta Integrata SettimanaleCarta Integrata Settimanale

Rome- Transportation from Airport Fiumicino to Firenze

by seguinnico

Our plane will land in Rome (Fiumicino) and we want to go directly to Firenze. Is it possible to buy our train tickets directly at the airport train terminal or will we have to buy them in Termini Train Station ?
Would it be simpler to take a bus from Rome to Firenze ? If so, where do we take the bus ?

by craic

I don't know much about buses in Italy because I always use the trains.

there are machines at the Fuimicino station and you can buy your tickets from termini to Firenze there. Check on Trenitalia before you leave home what options you have.
Maybe your plane will be late. So you don't really know what time train suits you.
Don't buy a through ticket - ie punch in Fuimicino - Firenze because sometimes they give you very short connection time to change and we got caught like that changing at Milan for Verona. Our train was 13 minutes late and our train to Verona had just left.
On some trains you have an open ticket - because you don't have a booked seat - and if you miss one train you can catch the next one an hour or so later.

If you have a booked seat, on Eurostar for instance I am not sure what happens if you miss the train.

We had booked seats on a intercity from Milan to Verona and because we had a good excuse - our train from Genova was late, we had to find the Customer Help Office and get our tickets stamped for the next train.

I like Eusrostar to Firenze - very fast and comfortable - but last time we had to catch an intercity because we left it too late to book and it was just before Xmas. But that was okay. The intercities have their own charm.

One small problem I have struck is some days everyone in Italy plus tourists wants to travel by train and suddenly your only option is something where you have to change 3 times and wait 6 hours.

But as you don't know what train will suit you perhaps you should just trust to luck and hope that the day you land is not one of those days.

Do you land earlyish in the day?

by seguinnico

We will be landing at 9:30 on a Saturday Morning. Thank you for your info.

by craic

9-30 am - good one you will have plenty of room to mannoeuvre.

by gsplover

You can buy your tickets for Termini and the train to Florence at the airport station. You want Leonardo Express to Roma Termini the a Eurostar (recommended) to Florence. An IC or IC+ is an alternative trai, slower though. You really don't want a regional unless you want a lot of stops.

by embi40

Been to Rome 3 times and every time I use the train. Twice I had kids with me and it truly is an easy, convenient way to get into the city. Just try to be sure and grab the express train to Rome and not one of the local trains that stops at every station on the way to Rome.

by pcasciato

I am doing roughly the same thing. Arriving at Rome Airport (fulmacino) at 5:40PM and going directly to Florence. Based on what has been said earlier, I am correct that I buy a train ticket to Rome on an intercity and then book Eurostar as the fastest route to Florence? If so, anyone know how much time this takes and whether on a Saturday night the train availability is reasonably good. I am going mid December

Travel Tips for Rome

Visit 'The Spanish Steps'...

by chrissyalex

Visit 'The Spanish Steps' Built in the 17th century, they got there name from the Piazza di Spagna at the base of the steps. There is great window shopping along Via Condotti which stretches away from the steps. ie Gucci,Prada etc.

Roaming from the Pantheon

by alza

I'm realising, again! that writing tips helps me see where I was... In Rome perhaps more than in anywhere else! I'll have to build Roaming from the Pantheon in a few separate tips to keep everything readable.

The Pantheon itself is not "Off The Beaten Path" but the streets and alleys I chose to go from there were truly off the beaten path for me, albeit still in a touristy part of Rome.
(On this last visit to Rome, filled with a kind of "VT spirit", I was determined to note everything of importance and to return with useful stuff... Once back home, I had to admit once again that I'm not gifted for writing useful tips. Rome remains baffling...)

Anyway, starting at the Pantheon: a busy place, very Roman in atmosphere even with all the tourists. Seeing the inside is a MUST. The grand portico with its eights columns is linked to the rotunda by a massive brick construction. A gigantic bronze door lets you in. There you will be amazed! The celestial vault, 9 meters of open sky, is the only source of light in the temple and is absolutely awe-inspiring.

The niches inside used to be decorated with statues of gods. Today they are chapels, one of them dedicated to Vittorio Emanuele II and Umberto Primo. Very beautiful.

Leonardo da Vinci (Fiumicino) Airport

by Fam_Stoica

Leonardo da Vinci (IATA code FCO) is the largest airport in Italy; it is located 32 km away from the centre of Rome and it's easily reacheable by :
* car (through the Rome-Fiumicino motorway)
* train
- Leonardo Express train (direct links from/to Termini station)
- metropolitan train FM1
* bus : Terravision Shuttle, Schiaffini Travel Shuttle, COTRAL (including night service).

Some airlines operating on Leonardo da Vinci Airport : Aeroflot, Aeromexico, Air China, Air France, Alitalia, American Airlines, Austrian Airlines, British Airways, Carpatair, Cathay Pacific, CSA, Delta Airlines, easyJet, Emirates, JAL, KLM, LOT, Lufthansa, Malev, Ryanair, SAS, Spanair, TAROM.

Italian fare at its Best

by SabrinaSummerville about Restaurant Doney

Rome is full of really good restaurants, and I am lucky to have discovered a couple of truly great ones.

One of my favourites is Doney at the Westin Excelsior. I ate there on a balmy evening in early June and so I was delighted to be seated outside on the pavement. Although I was with my Mum, the atmosphere was softly romantic at the candlelit table with the warm evening air on my skin.

The food is delectable, and the service is outstanding - the very best kind of silver service that one might expect at one of the best that Rome has to offer.

You just have to indulge in champagne here, watch the effortlessly elegant Italians walk along the Via Veneto, and savour every bite of the gastronomic feast.

It is disappointing that I had just four nights in Rome - so many restaurants, so little time...... I wanted to try everything on the menu, but my lobster starter was definitely the pick of the lot.

Cinema al fresco

by happy-travels

During the summer months of L'Estate Romane, June to September the Isola hosts several nights of open air cinema. I saw "Ignorant fairies" here. An Italian film based in Rome. Tickets are cheap compared to other cinemas and they tend to show non commercial films. During the warm summer months it is the perfect place to see a film with the stars above and the Tiber river at your side.

Comments