B&B Domus Coppede

Via Reno 23, Rome, 00198, Italy
AMOMA.com

More about Rome

The arch is covered with reliefsThe arch is covered with reliefs

Arch of Constantine from the ColosseumArch of Constantine from the Colosseum

photographingphotographing

OuchOuch

Day trip to Pompei from Rome??

by cardwatcher

Can anyone tell me if this is a viable option for a day trip? we (2 of us) would like to see the Pompei. We don't want to spend the night so we will only do this trip if we can do it in 1 day.

If it is a doable thing is there a day of the week to avoid - like a day when things there are closed?

Lots of travel sites tell you you can do it but I wanted to be sure it was truly doable.

by gfinesilver

no prob. catch an early eurostar and then change trains at napoli centrale to the Circumvesuviano. you'll have to walk a little but not go outside. trains to pompeii leave about every 20 minutes.
it would be recommendable to get your round trip ticket to/from Rome because sometimes those trains fill up as they're coming from the south.

by cardwatcher

Great! My hotel is really close to the Termini station. Do you think we can purchase round trip ticket from there?

by effeti

This is one of the top questions in these forums..
Just a quick search gives you access to the many anwers (alla valid today) that someone already gave to similar questions.

Ciao
Francesco

by leics

The (frequent) Circumvesuviana trains to Pompeii & onward take around 30 minutes from Naples Garibaldi station. Timetables here: www.vesuviana.it

The entrance to Pomeii is directly opposite the station, so that's easy. Do take a very early train from Rome and give yourselves as much time as possible in Pompeii: it will be well worth the long, tiring day! Make sure you take some water with you: although there is a cafe on site, Pompeii is very large and you don't want to have to continually return to it!

Official information about Pompeii opening times etc here:

http://www2.pompeiisites.org/database/pompei/pompei2.nsf/pagine/i%20siti%20archeologici?OpenDocument (click on 'Pompei').

by nicolaitan

circumvesuviano train is a private train line, not part of the national system, requires separate tickets easily obtained.

by leics

You just get the tickets from the ticket office at the station. It's not expensive either.

Travel Tips for Rome

Go to The Vatican.

by rachel_sun

Go to Vatican.This is the site where St Peter was buried and martyred.The Vatican became the residence of the popes who succeeded him.The great basilica of St Peter draws pilgrims from all over the Christian world.The papal palaces beside St Peters house the Vatican museums .With the Sistine Chapel and the Raphael Rooms,thier great collections of classical sculptures make them the finest museums in Rome. The Vatican is ruled by the pope and about 1000 staff run the facilities there.There is a post office,shops,Vatican radio,broadcasting to the world in 20 languages and a daily news paper.It is a city within a city.This place is huge and it will take hours to look around. Do go to Piazza Navona.There is always something going on here day and night.There are three fountains and many churches.There used to be athletic contests held here in the 1st century in a stadium which held 33,000 people.Chocolate chip ice-cream was also invented here.

This is a resturant in...

by chongc1

This is a resturant in Alberobello ( quite some distance from Rome ... somewhere near Bari )which I didn't went in . The symbols on the roof are suppose to mean something but I still haven't figure that out as the explaination is in Italian which I don't understand at all

Watch out for unlicensed taxis!

by Josimarsz

I have just got back from Rome. When I arrived at the Termini Station as part of my onward hotel journey, I stood in the queue for a white taxi. Someone wearing a badge was overseeing the queue and organising taxis. He asked us where we were going then started trying to organise a taxi. We waited a few moments then he brought someone over who was going to give us a ride. He took us to his car, which was parked across the road. It was blue and very scruffy, but we got in anyway. I was rather dubious and asked how much this wa going to cost. He sidestepped the question and when we arrived at our destination on the Pinetta Sanchetti, he asked us for €20 ................. EACH!! (there were 4 of us)
I refused to pay him and offered him €40 and said he could take it or leave it. After much arguing he flounced off in a fit of pique and told me to keep my money.
On our way back from our hotel to Termini Station, the hotel ordered us a gleaming white cab. The price? €20!
Also invest in a weekly or 3 day underground ticket. These were such good value! €11 for 3 days, € 16 for the week (or was it 6 days?) without limitations on the number of times they can be used. (watch out for pickpockets on the underground though)

Best Pizza to go in Rome!

by wilocrek about Pizza Mortadella

Pizza Mortadella offers not only the best value it also has, in my opinion, the best tasting to go pizza in Rome as well. Located right next to Trevi Fountain, Pizza Mortadella offers pizza by the slice and charges you by the pound. For roughly 5 euro you can get two large folded over slices of pizza of your choice and a bottle of Coke. Even for a gluttonous pig like myself, I could barely finish both slices! The location is excellent as well as you can get the pizza to go and eat in front of Trevi Fountain or take it over a few blocks to the Spanish Steps.

Vatican and St. Peter's

by Ailis

Vatican City is ruled by the pope and serves as the world headquarters of the Roman Catholic Church. Entirely surrounded by Rome, Vatican City is the smallest country in the world. Except at Saint Peter's Square (Piazza San Pietro) on its southwest flank, Vatican City is surrounded by medieval and Renaissance walls that separate it from the city beyond. Within its walls is a vast complex of courtyards, gardens, and magnificent buildings, the largest and most imposing of which is the great domed St Peter's Basilica - the principal church of Roman Catholicism.

Comments