B & B Bye Rome

B & B Bye Rome
Booking.com Priceline.com Agoda.com

Satisfaction Poor

More about Rome

Fountain at the foot of the Spanish StepsFountain at the foot of the Spanish Steps

sitting by Marforiositting by Marforio

Bougainvillea, Streets of Rome, May 2007Bougainvillea, Streets of Rome, May 2007

Arco di Settimio SeveroArco di Settimio Severo

Travel from Rome to Paris by train

by sadikshaikh

I want to travel Paris from Rome in a night train on 27th november 2008.
When I am trying to book my train tickets at TGV website the result comes in french which I dont understand but still try to make out that the result shown is of Artesia train. Is it ok if I book the ticket of Artesia through www.voyages-sncf.com ?
Also would appreciate your any other cheaper suggestions.

by leics

It doesn't matter which train it is. You can book it through SNCF.

Coach travel will probably be cheaper, though not as comfortable as the train. Have a look at www.eurolines.com which is the portal for European long-distance coaches (buses). It's in French (or their English 'button' doesn't work for me) but easy to work out. Choose 'aller simple' for a one-way ticket. It's an overnight trip, fares from 66 euro.

by sadikshaikh

I am getting Artesia train for 40 euros on sncf website. I think this is a good deal. But I m not able to understand if they provide any free meal on board. If they dont then what is the normal cost for the food available on board.

Kindly help me on this as I cant understand french language the sncf. Also let me know what other facilities Artesia night train from Rome to Paris provide.
The stop name given is Paris-Bercy, where is it exactly?

by K_V_B

The 40 euro is certainly a good deal. This is however in a "couchette", what that is like you can see here:

There is no food included, the train has a restaurant car however. Here you can see waht it is like:

(Seat61 is a great resource, btw.)
Paris Bercy is a small station tucked in behind Paris Lyon, which is used for a few night train services.

by margsch

I would suggest you look at the Italian Train website Trenitalia as you are travelling from Rome. I would suggest taking a bottle of water with you as well as some snacks, food on trains is fairly expensive and it is just easier if you have a sandwich etc with you.

by Jesperp

Try the website of Trenitalia http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=ad1ce14114bc9110VgnVCM10000080a3e90aRCRD

There is 3.5 km at walk from Gare de Paris-Bercy to Notre-Dame according to ViaMichelin http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/viamichelin/gbr/tpl/hme/MaHomePage.htm?ck=OK

Regards Jesper

by leics

I agree (I did not read your post correctly). It is much easier to book the train through Trenitalia on the English link given above or www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

You can, of course, also get a long-distance coach from Rome to Paris. www.eurolines.com will give you the necessary information.

There will almost certainly be abuffet car on the train where you can buy drinks/snacks but it is just as easy (and cheaper) to take your own.

Travel Tips for Rome

La Bocca della Verità.

by Maurizioago

According to a popular belief it was said that somebody putting his hand in this mouth and swearing falsely, could not withdraw it.

You find this mouth into the atrium of St. Mary's in Cosmedin church.

The closest metro stop to this church is; Circo Massimo; B line.

Mausoleum of Lucilio Peto

by Jim_Eliason

This well preserved Roman Mausoleum is on Via Salaria a few blocks south of the Villa Borghese. The site is very well preserved and unlike most of Rome its one of the sites you can have mostly to yourself.

Drinking in Rome!

by tvdm

In all honesty I'm not too impressed by Rome's noctural delights. It's fun and there are enough places, but it's not as kicking as many other (and even smaller) world cities would have it. Nonetheless, in my endeavour to find some quiet beer-spots, I did locate a few nice places.

I've been to Rome a few times now, and every time I end up going to the Abbey Theatre pub in the Via del Governo Vecchio. It's a centrally located, big Irish bar with lots of the usual wooden panels and quiet corners. I'm sure the place is jammed in the weekends but I loved it for having a quiet pint in the afternoon while resting my feet and read a paper or magazine.

One that is located on the same street is the über-trendy Fluid bar. This post-modern cocktail bar looks so cool that it's almost unbearable! Definitely not for a low-key beer, but a very nice change from the usual enotecas.

Mad Jack's on the Via Arenula is ideal for a pint while on your way back to the hotel. Public transport is right around the corner and the public is very talkative.

The Fiddler's Elbow at the Via dell' Olmata is more of a darker pub but looks quite traditional and was very conveniently located: at staggering distance from my hotel!

The Testaccio area (southern city centre) is teeming with Italian hangouts that are favoured among the Romans. Via Galvani has loads of bars, including the very friendly Mount Gay bar. No prizes for guessing what clientele this watering hole caters for! :-)

Finally, The Drunken Ship on the Campo de' Fiori is more of an American style bar (i.e. more bare and with uncomfy chairs), but a very friendly staff and young crowd.

If you're still stuck for a place to go or want something more upmarket: have a look at the link below or use www.beerinteevening.com for boozing info!

For that once in a life time experience

by scanos about Hotel Majestic

In the Via Veneto, in Rome - made famous by the film La Dolce Vita, you will this amazing hotel restaurant. The food is second to none in Rome, and therefore, perhaps, the world.

The waiters wait on you , hand and foot, and you'll be rubbing shoulders with the vieux and nouveau riche , for a couple of hours ,anyway. It's not inexpensive but during our last visit we had food and wine for 2 people for 167 euros, service included. Sea Bass with artichoke mousse. The food is all freshly cooked and you'll savour the appetisers served between courses. We had canapes of dover sole with strawberries which were amazing. The wine is excellent - I would particularly recommend the Chianti Classico but the lower cost Multipulciano is an excellent alternative.

Even the coperti is excellent, with some of the best bread I've ever tasted.

Dress is formal , but this only adds to the occasion.

The Pantheon

by wanderingbtrfly

The Pantheon has an amazing presence. We were walking all around Rome and we knew the Pantheon was somewhere around us... we started walking down this alley and could see just a corner of the Pantheon up ahead. With each step, centuries and millenia were passing behind us. We were transported into another time. As we rounded the corner, history became the present as this amazing building finally showed us her splendor. I snapped this picture at that moment, and even though a picture is worth a thousand words, a thousand is no where near enough to try to convey what that moment was like.

Comments