Bed And Breakfast La Porta

Bed And Breakfast La Porta
Expedia.com Booking.com Priceline.com

More about Rome

Palazzo BarberiniPalazzo Barberini

View from the living roomView from the living room

No bell-towers but cupolas.No bell-towers but cupolas.

Valentino ribbon dressValentino ribbon dress

two months in rome... plus, subterranean spaces?

by kitcarruthers

hey all,

ill be spending two months in rome next fall and im wondering about some logistical/cost-of-living stuff. first of all, is flatshare the cheapest way to go? if so, can anyone recommend a good flatshare-finding website or suggest another way to find a room to rent? how much is a legitimate price for a modest place? what is a good cheap neighborhood? secondly, transportation: would it be advisable to buy a one month metro pass? how much might one spend on food over a month?(buying groceries, plus going out occasionally?) is it an expensive city for going out? I apologize for this barrage of questions. finally, a stranger question: does anyone know anything about explorable subterranean spaces in the area? i'll be in the city to write about the famed catacombs, but i'm wondering if there are other underground spaces (tunnels, crypts, vaults, bunkers, grottoes) that natives know about.
look forward to any replies. thanks!

kc

by abarbieri

KC,

regarding long term accomodation in Rome you should be able to find some good ads on www.wantedinrome.com

For underground Rome visit www.romasotterranea.it

I wish you all the best!!

Antonio

www.conciergeinrome.com

by babbi_it

Rome is quite expensive :(

by moemoemichelle

Hi KC,

I was lucky enough to live in Roma for a month this summer. I went with a university, but we lived in apartments and on our own. So I thought I might be able to give you some sound advice.

Since I went with a university, I'm not sure how they found our apartments. Sorry I can't help with that. Our apartments were in Testaccio, near the Pyramide Metro Station. I LOVED living in this neighborhood. Easy access to the Metro and bus, you can even walk. It is more residential Rome, so you'll get the feel of actually living there.

We also had a one month Metro pass, and I think that is the best way to go. It is really easy to use.

As for food, while we were there we did it as cheap as possible. Bread is pretty cheap, so we would buy fresh bread and cheese and eat that for lunch. Pizza is also a good option for lunch. Going out to eat can be expensive. I don't think I ever went anywhere for less than 9 euro. I'm not sure how much I spent on food while I was there, but there are ways to do it cheap.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if I can give you any more information.

Travel Tips for Rome

Buy a map before visiting Rome

by Packerman

I can't emphasize enough how important it is to have a good map. Keep it with you in a convenient place because you will probably be looking at it several times during the day. A map is also good to have just to give you an idea of how much you can see in a day and how long it should take from getting from place to place. I figure about 1 minute walking per 100 meters. The weather was great!

Trajan's Market

by Paul2001

I visited Trajan's Market as an after thought. It was not high on my list of to do things in Rome. There are so many ruins in Rome that it is so easy to overlook a few. It seems that many tourists do (this is the advantage of traveling solo, you hit the unjustly overlooked). Here there were more cats than tourists.
Trajan's Market has an interesting history for it survived as a place of civic importance beyond the days of the Roman Empire. The market was designed by the Emperor Trajan's favourite architects, Apollodorus of Damascus, in the early days of the 2nd century A.D. It is semi-circular in shape and multi-leveled. In many ways it was used as we today use a modern shopping mall. There were many shops here selling all kinds of foodstuffs and clothing. These products came from the farthest reaches of the Roman Empire. Unlike many of the other ruins in Rome, it survived the empire and was restored many times. During the Medieval Era, additional buildings overlooking the market were built. My big complaint about the Trajan Market was that there was nothing in the way of information provided such as brocheres and signage to let you know what it is you are exploring.
Trajan's Market is located at Via Quattro Novembre 144 which in just north of the Colosseum.

Roma 110 Open Top Bus Tour

by stiab3

I was a bit disappointed with this tour. The commentry didn't always synchronise with what we were seeing.

However, it does have stops that correspond to all the major tourist sites and it's an easy way to travel between them.

It cost €13 when I did it.

Not only Pizza

by AlexDJ about La Montecarlo

The name may remand you to the beautiful place in Cote d'Azur in France, but the cuisine it's absolutely italian! If you don't mind how long you have to queue, this is the right spot to enjoy a good pizza in a nice roman atmosphere (the restaurant is very close to Navona Square). Pizza of course, but "Montecarlo" it's super! Again, I'd suggest to order the famous "bucatini all'Amatriciana": they are one of the evidence of God on the Earth!

Great place for olives

by kdee69

This is great area where the Romans themselves come to shop. Basically it's just an open air market selling pasta, olives, fruit and veg and other bits and pieces but without the high prices that other areas seem to charge.
Get a gelato and sit near the main monument of Giordano Bruno (who was burned at the stake here in 1600 for suggesting that the Universe has no centre - yikes!)and watch the hussle and bussle of Italian life

Comments