Bed & Breakfast Edyta

Via Rattazzi, 65, Rome, 00185, Italy

More about Rome

A General, Hall of Busts, Vatican Museums, 05/07A General, Hall of Busts, Vatican Museums, 05/07

Palazzo VeneziaPalazzo Venezia

Palazzo Spada, facade detail, Roma, May 2007Palazzo Spada, facade detail, Roma, May 2007

Replica of the Grotto of Our Lady of LourdesReplica of the Grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes

Christmas Present:Rome for New Years!

by WatermanT

I just received a travel package from my parents for Christmas and I will be visiting Rome, Florence, Venice, Milan and Bolgna!! I will be arriving in Rome on 12/30 and will be in Rome until January 2nd. We are flying British Airways(my favorite!). Anyway, my parents booked Hotels, Tours and Transportation.
We will be joining a Vatican Tour on 12/30 with Presto Tours.

The tour is scheduled to include the Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel and St Peter's Basilica. This is the only tour that I have booked and I have 2 extra days in Rome.

If I could choose 2 additional tours would the Colosseum & Ancient Rome Tour be next on the list? What other things are must sees in Rome? I would love to see the Pantheon,Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain. Are there tours that visit these areas as well?

Also, Any recommendations for Rome New Year's celebrations? Where are the fireworks? Where is the part of Rome to be for New Years? I appreciate any help i can get! My husband and I are in our mid 30's, but would like to let loose while in Europe.

by gilabrand

The Spanish Steps is way overrated - it's just steps with tourists sitting all over them. Trevi Fountain is quite a fountain, but again the little street it's on is packed to the gills with tourists and annoying hawkers who don't take no for an answer. So yes, go see these things, but you don't need a guide for them.

by leics

If you actually want to pay for a tour, the choose the Colosseum & Ancient Rome......but you don't really need a tour or guide at all.

Central Rome is very walkable and also has excellent bus, tram and Metro services. You really do not need a tour to show you the Pantheon (well worth seeing) or the fountain/steps (if you must....I agree with Gilabrand about them). If you are worried about finding your way, then you can take the Archeobus tour:

and/or one of the hop-on, hop-off bus tours:

Other places I would recommend visiting are Santa Maria Maggiore, San Giovanni in Laterano, the catacombs, San Clemente,San Stefano Rotondo, the Trastevere area...and many more. Look at the VT Rome pages for ideas. Rome is absolutely stuffed with places to see.

by Kathrin_E

With such a short visit I would not book an additional tour either. Venture out on your own. The best about Rome is strolling round, exploring the small side streets without a fixed destination, and looking at what you find by chance, poking your nose into the big or small churches along your way, having a coffee at one of the many little bars, etc. Since there are world-class sights round every second street corner, you'll find more than enough that is worth seeing. People-watch and discover.

Carry a map of the city when venturing out. Write down the address of your accommodation. Carry a separate small purse with a little money for the day in your pocket or daypack for easy access, and hide all your valuables underneath your clothes (money belt, inside pocket of closed jacket, or similar.) That's about it. Enjoy the Eternal City!!! What a wonderful Christmas gift.

by marielexoteria

There's a lot to do, you won't get bored or need a guide for the Historic Center.

by WatermanT

Thank you! All of your advice was very helpful. My trip to Rome was fabulous. I ended up booking a tour of the Colosseum and it terrific. It was the same guide as my vatican tour and i couldn't resist. I think i got about 3 hours of sleep/night because Rome has so much to see. We saw so much, and not even close to everything. I will definitely be heading back soon.

by marielexoteria

Awesome! Now get started with those tips ;)

Travel Tips for Rome

110 Open Bus - the best out there!

by monica71

You will see a lot of bus tours that take you to the major attractions of the city. I think the best one of all is the 110 Open Bus. The ticket is valid 24 hours after the time of your purchase and you pay a reduced rate if you also have a Roma Card (full price is 16 Euros per person; reduced rate with Roma Card is 13 Euros per person). You can hop on and hop off the bus as much as you like during the 24 hours your ticket is valid.

The bus runs every 20 minutes from 8:30am to 8:30pm and it comes with a free audioguide in 8 languages (you select the language you want) and free earphones. A full route takes 2 hours to complete and it is a fun way to see Rome and spot things you did not have a chance to while wandering on the streets. The best way to purchase the tickets is on board of the bus.

If you decide to take the 110 Open Bus, make sure you purchase your ticket on the 3rd day your Roma Card is valid, preferably late in the afternoon (so you get an extra day of free transportation to the main sites and attractions in Rome).

I have included a list of the stops below, just in case you want to see them before making up your mind: Termini (main stop), Piazza Barberini, Via Veneto, Piazzale Flaminio, Piazza del Popolo, Piazza Cavour, Piazza San Pietro, Piazza San Pantaleo, Piazza Venezia, Colosseo, Via Nazionale

You can also find more information on this on the official web site: http://www.trambusopen.com/

Villa Borghese

by Gloke

After visiting the Vatican city and after a few days of walking around in busy busy Rome we wanted to go and walk around somewhere where it was more quiet then the centre itself. We found Villa Borghese on our map and saw that there was a nice park next to it. The weather was nice and there were lots of people just walking around in the park. It's not a place most tourists go as we did not see too many of them, just young couples strolling in the park and some joggers and elderly people. If you want to get out of the city for a few hours, do go there as it was a beautifull spot. There also is a place where you can have a drink or something to eat in the middle of the park.

F*cked up, fancy or alternative

by AndreSTGT about Monte Testaccio

Ok, so this pic is not from Monte Testaccio, but it's the only 'rome by night' pic i took.
Anyway, when it comes to nightlife Testaccio is THE happening place in Rome. It's a rather dilapitated neighborhood in the southern part of town (around the old abbatoire) which gives the area a slightly Bohemian feel, but Testaccio offers options for all tastes and wallets. From ultra chic music bars with nasty bouncers to alternative open-air clubs, from fancy eateries to 'world music'-caf├ęs. Dress to impress!!!

Pizza and Pasta

by chelley

Pizza and Pasta prices are around 7 - 9 euro for a course at the moment (July 2006). If you go a little further down side streets the price drops to around 5 euro. Dn't be afraid to ask for one pizza and two plates - we found the pizzerias quite accommodating!

Colosseum

by WheninRome

I don't need to describe the Colosseum to you. You either already know it from school or movies, or have read one of the other dozens of tips for it.

However, a couple tips from our visit regarding this marvel and monument to the ancient Romans:

Buy a ticket in advance or buy a Roma Pass and use this as one of your 2 free entries. DO NOT WAIT IN LINE TO BUY YOUR TICKET. I am guessing the ticket line would have taken 2 hours to get through when we were there (late morning). We used one of our free Roma Pass entries for the Colosseum. There are no signs, but if you look you will notice ropes with 2 different entry lines. One (on the right) will be full of people buying tickets. The other (on the left) was empty and that was where group tours, Roma Pass holders and those with pre-purchased tickets walked through. Security took about 10 minutes to get through and we were inside in less than 20 minutes! Unless you enjoy standing in line, I cannot stress this enough.

Beware Tour Group Salesmen. During the day, it is impossible to walk around the Colosseum without being accosted by someone trying to sell you a Colosseum Tour. I am sure some of these tour operators are reputable, but how do you now which ones? My advice would be to avoid them all or to pre-book a tour through a company such as Rome Walks (recommended by Rick Steves in his books).

Gladiators. Outside the Colosseum and in its vicinity are men dressed in gladiator costumes trying to get you to take their pictures or your picture with them for money. Rick Steves warned of them in his book. From inside the Colosseum we watched these charlatans at work and took the picture below. It is amazing how many people paid to have their pictures taken and some appeared to be surprised by the price after they were done with their pictures.

Comments