Bed & Breakfast Flavia 84

More about Rome

Teatro di Marcello, Roma, May 2007Teatro di Marcello, Roma, May 2007

Foro Italico, Diving Mosaic, May 2007Foro Italico, Diving Mosaic, May 2007

Il Gesù, Main Altar, May 2007Il Gesù, Main Altar, May 2007

Overnight wine / olive oil tours from rome

by Addison833

Hello everyone,

I'm continuing to plan an amazing trip to Rome thanks to everyone's great advice. I have another question :)

Any thoughts or recommendations on a company that organizes an OVERNIGHT wine and/or olive oil and/or culinary tour out of Rome? A company that would arrange pick up from Rome and your overnight accommdation along with a tour? I'm thinking one or two nights.

Thanks again,
Cailey

Re: Overnight wine / olive oil tours from rome

by Ladyplus

The perfect answer to your question is to....

Stay at Fontan del Papa (B&B) & make day trips from there. The BEST way to get away from the hustle and bustle of Roma. It's located in a quaint town, an hour North of Roma. Trust me, you will NOT regret it! There's a little bit of info on my Tolfa travel page including a direct link. There you will learn about their passion for authentic food, wines & culture.

P.S. I'm not sure if they offer wine tours, however Claudio is a great somlier.

Happy Travels!

Travel Tips for Rome

The Forum Romanum is the heart...

by Meemi

The Forum Romanum is the heart of the ancient Rome. That is the place to go. You can turn back the time and sence the beauty and the power of the Roman Empire. In Rome you can feel the past and the present at the same time. Every place has its own story to tell and the history of the great Roman Empire continues to live in every day life. That is the thing I miss the most. The strong combination of history and modern times.

A very Good Pair of Walking Shoes!

by volarevolare

Anything's fine really! Up to you! Depends on how you like to travel.

Me? I had my faithful hardcase suitcase! I love that suitcase -- it's purple and I've got stickers on it! :) Utmost necessity -- A very very good pair of walking shoes. I brought a pair of TEVA sandals, but these did not provide enough support. Also, a pair of flat shoes which provided NO SUPPORT! The horrible consequence?

I couldn't walk when I got back! Really! I had injured my feet soooo bad that it was painful standing!
Rome has cobbled streets, so it's vital to wear walking shoes with support!

Other than that, light clothing is alright as summer gets really hot and all you need is a good windbreaker and a light sweatshirt for layering if it gets cold... quite unlikely though... but just in case! The usual recommendations -- plasters, lip balm and medication for a queasy stomach. Now, Rome is sooo beautiful you'd want to take lots of photos (so is the rest of Italy!), so -- bring your own film!
It's really expensive buying film over there.

Add 5 more rolls to what you initially planned to bring! :) That should be a good estimate! Really! Eat gelato, you can drink from the water fountains -- so bring your own bottle for free water refills, and drink lots of wine! :)

high quality and hand made wood souvenirs

by monica71 about Bartolucci

Bartolucci is a store I fell in love with in Rome. I was always a huge fun of woodworking and I like to collect pieces from all over the world.
All the pieces you see in the store are hand made. The prices are very reasonable and the quality of the pieces they sell is top notch. They have pieces for every budget, starting from 2 Euros (for a hand made and hand painted wood key chain) to 400 Euros.
Since we were in Rome right before Christmas, I purchased few Christmas tree ornaments from the store. I also purchased a Pinocchio wood figurine (9 Euros) that I proudly display on one of the book shelves in my office. Pinocchio figurine and other hand made wood pieces anywhere from 2 Euros up

Best Meal in Rome!

by kehale about Piccolo Bucco

We stopped in here the night we went to see Trevi Fountain. It was busy but we got a seat right near the door and were able to watch the rain coming down. The food was absolutely delicious and the people who worked there were fantastic. After our dinner they brought out some homemade biscotti and I believe it was some sort of wine that had been blessed by the Pope. It was the absolute best way to finish off the meal.
We liked it so much we went back on our last day in Rome for lunch. A few years later I sadly forgot the name of the restaurant when I wanted to recommend it to one of my clients who would be visiting Rome. Thankfully I was able to find a picture of myself sitting in the restaurant enjoying a glass of their house wine, with the name of the restaurant on the window behind me.
I did throw a coin over my shoulder that night at Trevi fountain... so one day I will return, and when I do, I will be sure to go back to Piccolo Buco. Their Gnocchi was the best I've ever had!

Cherry tomatoes!

by baronedivandastad about Don Pachino

This nondescript pizzeria has a wonderful terrace (open only in the summer when it isn't windy) and provides a nice selection of cherry-tomato-based dishes. Spot the word "pachino" in the menu.
Prices are not humongous considering that it's Rome (I paid 12 euros for a pizza and a beer) and the pizza is really crunchy. Service is smooth. Pizza Don Pachino and Pizza Testaccio - try!

Comments