Piazza Tommaso de Cristoforis 1, Rome, 00159, Italy
Booking.com Venere.com Travelocity

More about Rome

The fireplace, with glimpse of the dining roomThe fireplace, with glimpse of the dining room

Cat among the ruinsCat among the ruins

Michelangelo's MosesMichelangelo's Moses

Palazzo Massimo - Discobolos of MironePalazzo Massimo - Discobolos of Mirone

vatican - papal audience / tours

by katcharlie

I would like to visit the vatican when I go to Rome in October, was reading the forum and noticed wednesday seems to be the only day for the papal audience, I got onto the vatican official website, there is no update info for October. I will be flying in on a Thursday leaving on a monday, can you get tickets for the tours for these days
kathy

by mccalpin

Yes, Papal audiences are on Wednesdays, but the other weekly public event is when the Pope says the Angelus on Sundays (at noon, of course). People gather in St. Peter's Square, and the Pope speaks to the crowd from the window of a building overlooking the Square. Of course, the Pope does this only when he is in town, and you're right that October is not up yet on the Prefecture's webpage (although it is surely known somewhere)

As for tours, which tours do you have in mind? In general, there are three tours of parts of the Vatican: tours of the Vatican Museums, tours of the Vatican Gardens, and tours of the necropolis under St. Peter's. Of the three, tickets for the tour of the necropolis are the most difficult to get, because of the limited number of people allowed through every day. If you want to do that, start working on that now.

As for the Museums and the Gardens, I haven't done either tour, although I've been in the Museums a number of times. Some here have, so maybe they will chime in. I don't know anyone who has done the garden tour, and unless you're really into that sort of thing, I don't think it will be worth it (you get to see a lot of the gardens from the Museums and from the top of the dome anyway).

Please note the days for the Museums. They are normally closed on Sunday, except for the last Sunday of the month, when they are not only open, but free. Check the hours on the Vatican website.

Bill

by marielexoteria

Unfortunately the Papal audiences are only offered on Wednesdays :(

However, there's a daily tour to the catacombs under Saint Peter's Church that might be of interest (if you like that kind of thing). You'll find information about the schedules, prices, etc. at http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/institutions_connected/uffscavi/documents/rc_ic_uffscavi_doc_gen-information_20040112_en.html.

by marielexoteria

I hit the button too quick...

While the tickets to the necropolis (sorry, not catacombs) are hard to find, it's possible to do so! Like Bill said, e-mail them now for a better chance.

by lindad3052

I was able to get tickets (5) for the papal audience for Wed Oct 7 via Vatican City Tours...pricey but they are delivered to your hotel (or as in our case apartment) via courier the night before provide you give them a phone # in Rome
to contact you. We have also booked a three hour tour for the afternoon after the papal audience. You can book through their site www.vaticancitytours.com
Hope this is helpful.

by katcharlie

thanks for all the input very helpful
kathy

Travel Tips for Rome

The Colosseum!

by CandS

Make sure you visit the Colosseum! It is just amazing to walk up from the underground station and as soon as you get to the top of the stairs you find this fantastic old thing standing in front of you...wow! I almost fell over backwards!

We even had our photos taken with 'real' gladiators out the front...but make sure you don't pay the price they want, if you haggle a bit they WILL drop the price!

The Colosseum was built in 72AD. It once held 80,000 people while they watched gladiator combat games and wild animal shows. It is hard to believe that now though since it is fairly ruined on the inside. We thought it would be much bigger too (from the Gladiator movie) but it was still fantastic to see!!

It costed us L10,000 for entry into the Colosseum but it is well worth a look... Especially when you can follow along a tour and listen in to their information.

Opening times for the Colosseum are: Summer Monday, Tuesday, Thursday to Saturday 9 am to 7 pm, Wednesday and Sunday 9 am to 2 pm. Winter it closes 1 hour before sunset.

To get there, take the metro to Colosseo.

Sunscreen and shoes

by oneonta_ni

Definitely bring a couple pairs of comfortable shoes. I generally wear one pair during the day and the second in the evening to give my feet a break. The next day, I wear the second pair all day and the first pair all evening. Even though you are in the city, it is very wise to wear sunscreen in Rome in the summer. Places like the Forum have very little shade and can be very hot during the day.

Chocolatier since 1925 is where to stock up!

by Lornabug about Valzani

This street was filled with scaffolding when we first strolled down it at night but I noticed several shops I HAD to return to during the day, this being one of them. What can I say? I'm a sucker for chocolate. If you don't speak Italian you'll just do a lot of pointing: "that one, that one, two of those, that one, a handful there..." while glimpsing at all the weird paintings hanging around.

Chocolate teacups, chocolate covered candied peppers (bell or something I think... mostly tasted like sugar), truffles, pralines, traditional candies for holidays, and my favorites: foil-wrapped chocolate ovals that were deliciously smooth dark chocolate with one of the best spicy aftertastes I've tried (and I always go for the spicy ones!), and pure chocolate medallions to try my hand with at home for some small-scale truffle making day.

The woman was so old and I wished I could have talked to her all day about chocolate making. But at least we managed to find out that she has family near where I live! Unfortunately I didn't figure out whether or not they are carrying on the chocolate tradition. Chocolate teacups, pepper chocolates and pralines. 1-10 euro a piece.

Amazing Italian food in downtown Rome

by pakistanibrain about Ristorante La Gensola

Ristorante La Gensola is a cute little restaurant in downtown Rome. They have an amazing choice of salads, pastas and various other local delicacies. The quality and freshness of the food is also noteworthy.

The waiters are very prompt and entertaining too.

You should definitely try this one out when you visit Rome. Shrimp Salad

Amazing coffee in Rome

by Erin74 about Sant' Eustachio Coffee

I ended up going to Sant' Eustachio for coffee every single day that I was in Rome. It was that good. I'd read online that this was the best place to get coffee in Rome and was not disappointed. The whole cafe smells amazing and is always packed with people. The cappuccino machine is actually screened from view because the cafe guards their recipe so much. Drink your cappuccino standing up at the bar or outside at a table. Also, be sure to buy a bag to take home!

Comments