Bed & Breakfast Testaccio

San Paolo,  Transept, coffered ceilingSan Paolo, Transept, coffered ceiling

Jacko34

by jacko34

We are arriving at Rome FCO Airport 30th June. We are looking for anyone who
would like to share a taxi with us to the docks to catch a ship.
We are sailing on Celebrity Galaxy.
Our plane arrives at 10-30 so we expect to be leaving around 12noon.
Hope there is someone out there to join us.
Thanks Jacko 34

Re: Jacko34

by nparmelee

You may want to check out the roll calls on the cruise critic website and try to match up with people that way. Personally we always fly in at least one day before a cruise so if there are problems with the flights or luggage needs to catch up to us it can. Two years ago our flights got mangled due to weather and we ended up in Rome a day later than planned. Luckily we still had two more nights there and our luggage made it with us. Have you been to Rome before so you just don't care to see it again? or are you staying post-cruise? There is so much to see there that it would be a shame to just drive through it.

Travel Tips for Rome

The Victor Emmanuel Monument

by deecat

One of the most difficult monuments for me to photograph was The Victor Emmanuel Monument. I remember standing in one spot forever and realizing suddenly that unless I got closer, I was never going to be able to complete this task.

I dodged traffic (an unsafe activity) and finally made it close enough. Then, every time I thought it would be perfect, a Tourist Bus would block my view.

Even though it is not a good view, I did accomplish what I set out to do. Some books say that this Victor Emmanuel Monument was erected to celebrate Italian independence. Others say that it was erected to honor Victor Emmanuel II, the first King of Unified Italy.

The monumentt was begun in 1885 and inaugurated in 1911.

I really was not so interested in what it was as much as how it looked. The bas-relief work was incredible, and the closer I got, the more awed I was. I also was impressed with the statues at the right and left roofs of the horses and the winged maiden.

All in all, this monument to Victor Emmanuel II is one that I always associate with our trips to Rome.

Near Pantheon there is a store...

by heli

Near Pantheon there is a store which looks like only selling old clothes and pianos and Darth Vader-masks, but that is really a place to find the true treasures of Rome! If you stand by the fountain and look at Pantheon, then it´s the street which is on the left and starts just from the left front corner of Pantheon, if I remember correctly. But it´s a store worth visiting. :)

THE INFAMOUS PUB-CRAWL....You...

by BKLYNfinest

THE INFAMOUS PUB-CRAWL....You pay about $15 get a shirt, membership card, and a shot in everyyou end up crawling into...You start off drinking and playing drinking games while people gather for about an hour.... Then its off to about 5 or 6 different bars you can stop anytime you choose...but what fun would that be? Be READY
Its pretty Much a college crowd, and college atmosphere......its not classy or glamourous at all but draws in alot of vacationers and students.....Its alot of FUN....its finishes up around 1:30 then your on your own to find the after party You can pretty much wear anything you want, its a relaxed atmosphere, but personally I like to look nice when im goin out

The Locals seemed to approve

by surferob about L'Archetto

We passed this place while strolling the backstreets one night and found it packed with what appeared to be mostly Italians. It's only a couple blocks from the Trevi Fountain and shared its name with the street that it was on, so we made a mental note and planned to return. We came back the next night and had a wonderful, late meal. Closed the place down in fact, which is something of an achievement considering how late Italians tend to eat. The pizza and pasta were fantastic, and my girlfriend simply wouldn't shut up about how the Pasta Arrabiata was the best she's EVER had.

St. Peter`s square

by MichaelFalk1969

The giant square in front of St. Peters Cathedral, created by the famous architect Bernini in the mid-17th century and financed by the pope Alexander VII. who was a famous sponsor of arts and architecture in his time. The collumns on either side of the square are crowned by 144 statues of holy men and martyrs.

Technically, St. Peters square belongs to the independent Vatican State (and not to Italy). The best view on St. Peters square is from the viewing platform on St. Peters Cathedral.

Comments