Via Giovanni Vitelleschi 34, Rome, Lazio, 00193, Italy

More about Rome

Triton FountainTriton Fountain

resting by the Temple of Herculesresting by the Temple of Hercules

Me, Simon, and My CousinMe, Simon, and My Cousin

The Roman style old small buidling, lake, swan...The Roman style old small buidling, lake, swan...

Long Term Rental

by gemmarlv

I am going to be attending graduate school in Rome starting in the fall. I would appreciate any help about finding a long term rental in Rome that is on the cheap side. I am trying to find a roommate. Does anyone have any suggestions?

by sikorka

Hi,
First, I would speak to somebody from the school, maybe they offer help with finding accommodation. If not, you can try to contact one of the agencies renting short and long-term apartments in Rome www.sleepinitaly.com, however the monthly rates for a studio apartment are very high in such a agencies, because they usually rents for shorter periods. I would said at least 1500 Euro per month for a studio, but in a good central location.

I do not know for how long you are gonna to sign a contract, in Italy if you rent legally from long-term rental agencies or the owner directly, there is a law 4+4, which means that you need to sign a contract for 4 years and the monthly rate during this period can't be raised. In this case the monthly rate is lower, about 1100 Euro for one bedroom apartment. If you speak Italian you can search on www.portaportese.it

What's important in the city center the rates are much higher than in other areas.
Good luck!

by rita_simoes

Well, first of all, it's almost impossible to find something in Rome "on the cheap side" (at least from Portuguese economy point of view). The best solution is to rent with other flatmates - in that case, I suggest http://rome.it.craigslist.it/sha/ - but in this website, since it is mainly for foreigners, the prices are usually higher (600-800€).

Another good website is http://roma.kijiji.it/f-Case-in-affitto-Stanze-Posti-letto-W0QQCatIdZ301193, but it is written is Italian.

I strongly reccomend you not to rent through an agency, it will be a lot more expensive. And also to get out of the city centre - it may cost you the double, and besides, the areas outside the centre are just as lovely and truly "roman" (there aren't romans living in the centre).

You can also share the room with someone else, and that will cost you around 300€.

Always check how many rooms, bathrooms and people are there in the apartment - I wouldn't want to end up sharing the only bathroom with 5 or 6 people! And it usually happens a lot.

Hope it helps!

Rita

by rita_simoes

I'm sorry, this is the correct link: http://rome.it.craigslist.it/roo/

Travel Tips for Rome

Inside The Coliseum

by Krystynn

Here's a view of the COLISEUM - this time from the interior.

Dominating the heart of ancient Rome, it stands today as the city's grandest symbol!

The morning that we were there (on my very first visit in the early-1990s), there was a huge pandemonium just outside the Coliseum. An Italian guy had threatened to jump off from the top-most floor of this massive monument. An hour later, the police finally dissuaded him from taking his own life. Phew! What a scare he gave all of us.

Photo: That's my dear little sister inside the Coliseum circa. 2001 ;-))

Cat Sanctuary

by engeluna

There are several cat sanctuaries around Rome. It is quite a nice idea and volunteers with the assistance of donations take care of these otherwise forgotten animals.

My mom and I found 2 while we walked around Rome. One is near the Jewish Ghetto area, and the other is in the non-Catholic cemetary where Keats is buried.

Getting around Rome Using Public Transportation

by ringleader

We're staying in Velletri, a small town on the outskirts of Rome. We plan to use the Rome PIU Pass, which gives free transportation to and around Rome on the public trasportation, free access to two locations (AHH! Walk right by the long ticket lines at the Colosseo!), and many half price admissions on the great collection of museums and sites of interest. It lasts for a 3-day duration.

Link to the Rome Passes (two different versions - PIU is 25 EUR, ROMA is 23 EUR): http://www.romapass.it

Locations the pass includes (discounted rates): http://www.romapass.it/doc/sitiAderentiCostoBiglietti.pdf

To figure which towns are in which zones, you'll need this map by ATAC: http://www.atac.roma.it/docunet/file.asp?mid=3&rid=511

Train lines map: http://www.atac.roma.it/docunet/file.asp?mid=3&rid=385

Map of Metro lines A and B: http://www.atac.roma.it/index.asp?p=1&i=675&o=3&a=3&tpg=2&lingua=ENG

For other options, like a one-day pass (B.I.R.G.), take a look here: http://www.atac.roma.it/index.asp?p=1&i=673&o=3&m=1&a=3&ci=55&tpg=2&lingua=ENG

For public transportation bus lines that are geared for tourists: http://infopoint.atac.roma.it/gru.asp?lingua=eng

We're thinking about using a hop-on-off tourist bus to get our bearings and to listen to a guided tour from the top deck of a double-decker bus. As of 2009, the cost is $18 EUR for one day. There are several different options, but this is the one we like so far. They have a good map of the city and free printable guide: http://www.romeopentour.com/

Pantheon Pasta

by Jmill42 about Ristorante da Fortunato

This is a great restaurant right in front of the Pantheon. Great food, obviously, is why I remember this restaurant most, but also the choice of sitting outside and staring at the great piazza made even better by the Pantheon is another. A bit expensive for the budget minded, but not too bad. Gnocchi with cream sauce. It is the specialty of the house, so it should be an easy choice!

Spanish Steps and SHOPPING!

by piccolakitten

On my last days I got a cab to Spanish Steps...u can have a glass wine and panini at a place right by the steps called Barcaccia ... around 17 euro... expensive but worth it cos u can go upstairs and if you`re early get a seat that overlooks Spanish Steps ...and u can be soooo entertained by ppl from everywhere in the world gathering . It`s a theatre all of its own. The service here was fantastic. And because I was early/late? they let me just sit and relax for ages......... The toilet is the best in the whole of Rome....has a REAL guy who offers you a real towel to dry your hands!

Then go down Via Condotti window shopping. Prepare to spend lots of time...dont just window-shop...go INTO the shops and pretend you are rich....no one knows the difference....and touch all the clothes and dream ..honestly, I saw a dress here that was $10.000 dollars! and yes I held it up in front of myself in the mirror ! The clothes were amazing! The shop assistants are generally young and very friendly. I had a ball in this street...and wished i had done the "shopping Tourist" thingy earlier. From there you wander the streets and get lost....at every turn there will be amazing shops but of course the real secret is that you are walking around ancient Rome...and these shops were there thousands of years ago...just the merchandise has changed. And if you get hot you will find a church in the same streets...just look up and you will recognize an ancient church in the same street!! Go up the steps and thru the door and from the chaos and the buzz of chattering voices from around the world, and the din of roaring vespas and tooting taxis, you will step into another century. Only the silent sound of someone singing a quiet Ave Maria.... you will be so cool from the sun. I took my shoes off and calmed my feet on the cold stone floor....but check there aint a priest watching first! Then out you go into the chaos again. I don`t think the Italians have a phrase for it but "sono in cielo"...I am in heaven!..

Comments