Bettoja San Giorgio Hotel

61 Via G. Amendola, Rome, Lazio, 00185, Italy

Satisfaction Average

More about Rome

Living, dining and kitchenLiving, dining and kitchen

Group PictureGroup Picture

Piazza di Spagna from top of stepsPiazza di Spagna from top of steps

The Central Nave of San Giovanni In LateranoThe Central Nave of San Giovanni In Laterano

** What Area to stay in Rome **

by jeffreyjames07

Hi,

I'll be in Rome for a few nights in July.. What area should I stay, so that I'm in the middle of the action? I booked a few nights at the Ivanhoe Hostel, but then I mapped it and it looked far from things:

This is the location:
Via Urbana, 50
Rome

Would I be happy there, to be able to walk to a lot or have things to do outside my door? Any other ideas of a bustling part of rome to stay in (street names would be helpful for me to map it).

Thanks!

by dino335

That is a pretty good location, about 1/3 mile from the Forum and Colosseum. A Block from the Metro. 2.5 miles from St. Peters Vatican City, tons of things to see and do in between, a great walk. Probably not the greatest area for nightlife but OK.

by Mozumbus

I am visiting Rome next week and have booked my hostel after doing preliminary research on VT, hostelworld.com and googlemaps.com.
Assuming that one is visiting Rome for siteseing and using train for intercity travelling, I guess area near Termini Station is best.
Advantages: easily accessible from airport; closer to major sites; easy access to intercity options.
I have booked Hostel Pop Inn for our stay, which is close to termini but located on the North of the station.
Most of the major location are in the South and South West of the termini.
I have used googlemaps for these locations.
Happy Roming!

by jeffreyjames07

what would be a good area for nightlife?

thanks!

by leics

Plenty of nightlife in and around Termini.......but it is also extremely convenient for getting to other parts of central Rome (on foot, Metro or bus/tram). I always stay in the area (even though I don't do nightlife).

It is also an area with a high concentration of budget hotels and hostels, and is extremely convenient for getting to/from the airports.

www.hostelworld.com and www.hostelbookers.com are good sites to find hostels, and www.venere.com is a reliable site for hotels of all kinds, including budget hotels, as well as some b&bs.

by dino335

Nightlife -- Testaccio if you are in your 20's -- 30's

by fra72

I agree with Dino about the location you chose. For nightlife I absolutely recommend Trastevere! Packed with people, local stalls in the night, street musicians and artists, etc. Very nice especially as it is a pedestrain area! There is also an international nice bookshop, if I well remember, in the area 'the almost corner bookshop' in Via del Moro that might be open till late.
Another famous one is The Lion Bookshop (which is also a nice cafè)and I've read it's the oldest English bookshop in Rome (Via dei Greci, 33/36)close to Piazza Navona.
Piazza Navona and Campo de' Fiori are also hot spots where to be by night. Do not expect nightclubs, discos and so far: I am talking about local lively vibe, a fresh beer sitting on the square with loads of locals and international tourists...You won't forget the warm breeze of Rome's evenings...
We stayed at a place right between the 2 squares: K&K center that I recall booking with flashbooking.com that I guess is an italian booker. We had a great week-end: and do not forget to try the famous gelato (icecream) at Giolitti's! Ask around when you are in the Parliament ares: locals will show you where it is. That's all from me now...

by leics

I don't think flashbooking is specifically Italian.

www.venere.com is the site I always look at first, and it is also used by many VT-ers. It is reliable and has honest guest reviews. www.booking.com is a good alternative.

Travel Tips for Rome

Lighting

by sinoda

In the end of the summer head to the St.Peter's early in the morning - on a weekday preferably, oh yes and make sure the sun is shining.

Enter the church hall and walk down then main ship, then turn around and rest in contemplation.

The picture might give you a hint of what I mean. God's finger come down and reach for you - where else than here? Maybe the architect was a clever guy or maybe a woman? and had planned this scenario carefully or it just so happend that the sun would shine "miraculously" through the upper windows and create this nice effect.

Packing List

by Gypsystravels

While I try to take as little as possible these are some items that I must take along with me on most of my travels. I travel during any season and adjust my packing list according to the weather, type and length of travel.

What I tend to do if I am traveling during the colder season, I usually wear the jacket, a heavy sweater, wool pants, along with boots (these are items that would take up more space in the luggage). In my carry-on bag I usually have an oversized T-shirt, drawstring cotton pants and a spare pair of socks which I change into about 1 ½ hours into the flight if I am going to Europe. I also carry my tooth brush (no morning breath here), something to read, glasses, contact case and travel solution, Tylenol (I usually get headaches during long flights).

Remember to adjust your packing to the location and time of year, and just go out there and enjoy your time wherever that may be. Following is just a sample of the items that I usually take along:

2 pair of slacks one black, the other any color depending on the season (depending on the season, linen or cotton for the spring/summer, wool/wool blend or polyester blend for fall/winter
1 black jacket to dress up the slacks or for casual dinning)
1 black dress (for evening dinning, show, opera, etc, or for a night out at a club)
1 pair of jeans and a pair of khakis or Capri’s (again, depending on the season)
2 skirts or shorts which can be worn either during the day or into the early evening
2 white t-shirts or tank tops
3 casual/dress shirts (sweaters in the winter)
1 pair of walking shoes for daytime touring
1 pair black shoes or sandals
2 bathing suits and 2 cover-ups
one week’s worth of undergarments
2-3 pajamas or oversized t-shirts for sleeping 4 spare pairs of contact lenses
5-7 pair of trouser socks
contact lens solution
spare glasses
extra pair of sunglasses
blow dryer (never leave home without it)
travel iron
cosmetics in a travel case
my favorite shampoo and conditioner in travel sizes
hand and body lotion travel size
Tylenol, allergy medication and any other medication I am taking at the time
Hair accessories, brush, hats or caps
2 cameras, plenty of film and extra batteries for the camera
Guide books, itineraries, maps, copies of my passport, airline tickets, phone numbers to credit card companies, extra ATM card for withdrawal from savings if my regular card fails, 2 credit cards, $500 in cash for just in case of emergency, $200 traveler’s checks (again, for just in case something happens with my ATM cards)
Extra travel bag to put all my purchases in.

That nice Italian atmosphere...

by belgianchocolate about Mercato Piazza Alessandria

I love these places. And I always do some
effort to track at least one down.
So we took the bus from 'Termini' towards
the 'porta Pia'. In the middle of the
'Piazza Alessandria' is a covered market.

The atmosphere is relaxed and different
from the places that got flooded by tourist
here they are quit amused by it. People
are helpfull and friendly. Some fresh fruit.
I also bought some olives and a combination
of mushrooms and vegetables in vinegar and
oil. A delicious and fine sort of salami ,
a fieuw tranches of th famous italian dried ham ,
..... Very little if you aske me...

Fantastic Pizza

by Clairraven about Gallo Matto

Family owned, warm service, great food. The waiters are very entertaining. In ten days we became regulars at this place. Near the end of our trip, we mentioned to our waiter that we were a little homesick and they started playing Marvin Gaye records.

If you can stop eating the pizza, the chicken is also very good. Skip dessert. Besides pizza, I thought the gnocci was very good.

It's almost impossible to list...

by mauro_pd

It's almost impossible to list good restaurants in Rome since there are hundreds of good ... anyhow:

Checcho er Carrettiere: at Trastevere (via S. Benedetta) this is a typical restaurant priced mid-hi: great amatriciana!!!

Moving away from the town: at Fiumicino (close to the main apt) Bastianelli al Molo is a reknown fish mainly restaurant at seafront: elegant & expensive (acually not my best)

Then a reminder for me (not tested yet): Cacciani (elegant & expensive) & Trattoria al 19 at Frascati (thanx to Romoletto, another vt member)

Back in the heart of Rome (via Veneto) area: Da Giovanni, expensive and elegant (not so much anyhow) place for a very good dinner.

Romantic: Montevecchio (close to Piazza Navona): you definitely need a very detailed map to find out this small (no more than 10 tables) and absolutely not to miss restaurant ... it is in vicolo Montevecchio (asking local people could help but not always).

Now: for a good pizza the problem is bigger than for a good restaurant: there are thousands of pizzerie. I just suggest you one where a particular atmosphere can be enjoyed: Gaudi via Giovannelli (not so far away from via Veneto).
Back to restaurants: alla corte dei Borboni, via della Ripetta (close to Piazza del Popolo): different opinions about this neapolitan-cuisine restaurant, good, bad, extremely good, great value-for-money, expensive & so on ... I loved it, ok ? Absolutely not to miss is Amatriciana, a pasta you can find everywhere in Rome: if you like pasta give it a try everywhere cause each one gives it a personal touch.

Comments