Via Tiberina, Km 1,400, Rome, 00188, Italy

Hostelworld.com HostelBookers.com Agoda.com

• Don't go here!

My friend and I stayed there until he got completely eaten by bedbugs and had to go to the ER. When we complained to the owner Johnny after two days of not being able to contact the manager, we were told that we had probably brought them with us even though we were staying there for two weeks prior without any problems. When we asked for compensation and deserve a little better customer service for the trouble, we were promptly told that he does not care where we are from, but that he was from a rough area, threatening us. When we tried to leave Rome the next day and something came up where we had to stay another night, we were told we were not welcome, even though there was vacancy. Besides that issue, the wifi is completely unreliable, as is the power in a few of the trailers. With no power many of the nights, we had no way to charge our camera batteries or pull pictures off of our memory cards, therefore ruining part of our trip as we had to do it the next morning, and couldn't get an early start on the sights. Worst of all the potential damage that could have been done to our computers was completely disregarded. When we had told the staff about the issue and left the campsite for the day, we came back to the same issue. This happened three days in a row. The shuttle stops at 11 so if you want to experience any Roman nightlife expect to walk a kilometer and a half after catching three different buses which will take you an hour and a half to two hours minimum. The beds, besides being full of bedbugs, are the worst beds I have ever slept on. In a couple rooms I opted to sleep on the floor in my sleeping bag as opposed to the mattresses they offer there. Finally, the market there is WAY overpriced, as is the restaurant. The employees there are really helpful however, the food, while overpriced as I said, was medium to good, and the pool was great. Although these nice things do not make up for the bedbugs and the way we were treated. I hope our experience is a unique case, but, it is one that I will never forget, nor forgive.

Directions: Middle of nowhere

• jeoren's Profile Photo

Camping Tiber

Camping Tiber is the most popular campside of Rome. It's located north of the citycentre and easily reachable by a 5 min. free campingbus-ride, a 15-20 min. suburban train-ride till you finally reach a metrostation.

• 6aruna's Profile Photo

camp near river tevere

i packed my bags to see Italy on an impulse
    only luggage a very small backpack , a bottle of water my passport
    and camera. i had reserved no hotels. silly
    on landing at the station i went around nearby hostels/hotels no vacancy so i went in search of the only address in rome i had with me.
    camping tibre.
    caught underground train changed twice and reached a quiet place with vacant cabins
    and slept like a log.

disadvantages
    45 minutes to Rome by underground.
    train to flamino
    flamino to primaporta
    closed during winter
    you see no body during day time could be an advantage also ,depends.
    the money you tried saving could end up as trainfare to and fro eitherway nogain.
    you get itchy feet not able to walk and savour rome when you are busy trying to catch the last train back(ladies only)
    they keep your passport so can't rent those audios while viisiting museums:(

advantages
    shuttle service to and from the railway station free
    really laid back
    cool breeze during evenings
    internet and nice restaurant
    nice chef
    you meet people on the packed train

Unique Quality: it is near the river tevere
    so evenings there is a cool breeze sometimes very windy

Directions: rome to flamino to primaporta

More about Camping Tiber

Rome

by Aussieanne

"Accommodation at Camping Tiber"

On our 2002 trip most accommodation was in Youth Hostels however none were available in Rome so we were directed to Camping Tiber. This turned out to be a fantastic place - although accommodation was basic, there was a pool, a restaurant run by Aussies which turned into a disco/nightclub later in the evening and a bus that took you to the train station to go to the City. I highly recommend this place, it had everything that was required. We ate at the restaurant as it was cheap and we made friends with the people in charge so it sort of felt like home. Our daughter ended going back there and worked for 8 weeks - she took a trip to Athens for a week on her tips. Here's the website, check it out http://www.campingtiber.com/

"The city of Rome"

What a beautiful place. We loved it so much we are returning this year in 2006. Everything is easy to get to either by train or on foot, it is unbelievably clost. The colosseum was closed the day we went due to National Day so we reversed our plans and checked out the Forum - we are amazed at the "oldness" of this place and what still remains. We walked to the Fontana Di Trevi and looked all around there, the Spanish steps, the Piazza Navona down to the River Tiber and walked along between Ponte Umberto and Ponte Carour. We cut across and found Mausoleo di Augusto which doesnt even get a mention in the books - it is the burial place of August, Tiberius, Caligula, Claudus, Vespasian & Nerva plus many more. This photo is of the spanish steps

"The Colosseum"

As with most of old Europe this place is amazing and defies words. Besides what we know about it, people actually lived in the underground catacombs in the 1800's, it was also used for warehousing. They have also discovered another tiled tunnel which they are currently excavating. We took a tour with a guide which is a must in our opinion..ours was Cynthia and she was excellent and focussed on the history. It was actually caled the Amphitheatre, but got the name Colosseum because it was collosus - Arena means sand in Latin. Years ago you were able to walk throughout the whole area but due to fragility they have constructed boardwalks, but it still remains an awe inspiring site.

Mural on the wall at Camping TiberMural on the wall at Camping Tiber

Hostels and Camps?

by Nilander

Hello,
I have found several Campgrounds and hostels in areas that I want to go to, and all have options to reserve a bed. I am not sure of my plans yet. Do you all think that it would be better to reserve a space or is it not a big deal to get a bed if I just show up at the door? (I will be there in September)

RE: Hostels and Camps?

by Aussieanne

I would think September would be OK - August is the busiest month in Italy and also the month all the people that live there take their own holidays. It does depend a little bit I think on what the weather is like - if it stays hot for longer than normal you may have some problems, but on the whole I think that time of the year you would be fine - especially as you are only one person. When we were in Rome, we stayed at the Camping Tiber village which we found to be really good. They had a shuttle bus that took us to the main railway station to get into Rome and it was very convenient. They have a pool and a great restaurant which turns into a nightclub later in the evening. Have a look at their website.
Good luck with your plans!
Anne (Australia)