Capo D'Africa

Booking.com Expedia.com Venere.com

Costs 30% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• breughel's Profile Photo

Very friendly staff.

We were very pleasantly surprised with the perfect friendliness (in Italian, French and English) of ALL the personnel in contact with customers at the reception and at the breakfast. This is not so common in Rome even for frequent visitors like my wife and I who speak some Italian.
    The hotel itself met in comfort our criteria for a 4 *. We paid a little more for a "Double Premier" room which gave us the right to a large bottle of chilled Prosecco on arrival, complimentary free access to the minibar in the room (beer, sodas and water) and a French newspaper delivered to our table at breakfast, plus some other benefits.
    What was very important for us is that the hotel is located in a quiet area while being 300 m from the Colosseum and Forum, and St. John Lateran at about 500 m. In addition the district has several restaurants what avoids having to move far away in the evening, especially when it rains like this month of April 2012.
    We will return.
    One negative remark is that their baggage handler should be more present to help customers carrying their luggage on the steep stairs at entrance.

• High_Elf's Profile Photo

Noisy

I stayed here for 4 nights nights in June 2007. On 1st night I was given a room next to the lift on the first floor, on 2nd night they moved me to 3rd floor which was even more noisy as it had the breakfest room above me, but I stuck it out. On the 3rd night the air conditioning was very noisy on the whole of the 3rd floor, they offerd to move me to othe side of 3rd floor but it was more noisy.

The hotel and the rooms were very clean, the staff were helpful, the street of the hotel was a quite one for Rome.

Keep an eye on your room bill, I got charged for taking peanuts from the mini bar and I can't even eat peanuts! I got charged for taking water, when I had my own water. I had room service breakfest every morning and the one they charged me more for the same breakfest!

The room mini bar is ridiculously is over priced... so no treats there... it's not twice the price, it's not 3 times the price, but 4 times the price! No one who values money money should touch it.

This hotel seems more for Americans than English.

• CleggyBroon's Profile Photo

Rome's best Hotel

We stayed at this gem of a hotel for 4 nights only 2 minutes walk from the Colosseum in the end of February 2006. Our room was on the first floor & looked out to the back of the hotel.
    The room was large & modern with all the usual stuff ie toiletries , Sat TV air con which would be nice in the hot summers. This is a 4 star city hotel with all mod cons but it feels like a boutique hotel with all the extra attention to detail. The hotel is in a Quiet street with no traffic noise which is a bonus. Breakfast is served on the top floor with nice views over the city
    In the summer they serve breakfast on the roof terrace.

Unique Quality: The staff in the Capa d africa were excellent especially Chiara & Katia at reception.
    They directed us to the best pizza place in town only a short walk from the hotel.
    All the staff have to be complimented on a well run friendly hotel that makes you want to return.

Directions: Via Capo D Africa 54 , Rome 00184
    Only 2 minutes walk from the Colosseum

• flyingpig's Profile Photo

Modern hotel, great location, competitive price

You are unlikely to find many bad reviews for this hotel and for a good reason - it is very good, very modern and located very close to one of Rome's main attractions: the Colosseo. Highly recommended.

Unique Quality: This hotel is modern with some outstanding features: reasonably big rooms (though the bathrooms are tiny), very quiet (also thanks to the excellent double glazing), lovely design decoration, extremely clean, cheap phone calls (important to use the Internet connecting from a laptop to Italian ISPs on national rate numbers), fridge in the rooms, sunny peaceful terrace, helpful and friendly staff, well equipped gym.

Directions: 2 blocks and 5 minutes walk from the Colosseo.

• The reviews were on the mark

Just returned from a five day stay at Capo D'Africa. It was lovely. Very modern and european. We had a large room with two twin beds. Very large, big closet and a nice veranda. All the staff was very helpful especially Maria at the desk ....do not be afraid to ask her recommedations for restaurants. Breakfast on the roof top terrace was lovely. Rome was beautiful and would definately look no further than the Capo. Walk or take a cab to everything....cab was never more than nine or ten dollars including tip! Ciao!

Unique Quality: Lovely old building completely re done and immaculate. Lovely, quiet area.

More about Capo D'Africa

The positive reviews here are dead on!

The positive reviews here are dead on! We chose this hotel based on them and could not have been happier. 5 minute walk to ancient Rome, great modern rooms, wonderful breakfast on roof overlooking city. Will stay here again on my next trip.

Simply Wonderful!

by TripAdvisor Member Three_Travellers21

Our party of 5 booked three rooms for a 7 night stay in late April. We loved this hotel. The property a converted school, is light, bright, and stylish. The staff was beyond compare. Everyone was very friendly and do a great job. Special mentions go the breakfast room staff, the bell staff, and the bar staff.
The neighborhood was terrific with many wonderful restaurants all within a few blocks of the hotel. After a long hard day of touring, it was great to come back to the hotel freshen up, relax and be able to have a great dinner close by.
Hope to return again soon.

What a find!

by TripAdvisor Member CandyMass

Go to Rome and go to the Capo D'Africa Hotel! We traveled all over Italy this month and never felt as welcomed or at home at any of the other hotels we stayed at. The staff is wonderful! They helped us with every little detail and always with a smile. The breakfast was great and the room was inviting. Have a drink in the lounge, you never know who you might meet. I can not wait until I go back! Rome is a wonderful city and the Capo D'Africa Hotel is the best!!!!!!

Capo d' Africa Location????

by MartyAP

Still up in the air with hotels....we booked the Albergo del Senato near the Pantheon for late October and I know the location is fantastic but the rates are high. Also booked the Hotel Lancelot on Capo d' Africa which is near the Colosseum.

My question is: How far out of the way is Capo d' Africa? Walking does not bother us and using the Lancelot as a base during the day would probably be OK......But we wanted to experience Rome at night and we are afraid that the Colosseum location is really isolated for that purpose. Any thoughts or other ideas would truly be appreciated.....this is a 2008 trip not 2007.

Thanks,
Karen

by mccalpin

Well, my gut feeling is that it is not "really isolated". True, it's not in the "swinging" areas like Campo de' Fiori or Piazza Navona or Piazza di Spagna, but it's only a 30-35 minute walk from Campo de' Fiori to your hotel. Besides, taxis are relatively cheap in Rome...walk over to wherever it is you want to go, wander around, eat, drink, and at the end of the evening, go to the taxi stand off the northeast corner (I think that's where it was) of Piazza Navona or whatever large piazza is nearby (the bar or restaurant will tell you) and just take a taxi back to the hotel...

Besides, it's not like the Capo d'Africa area is totally dead...I don't know about nightlife, but I have eaten lunch and dinner over there myself. Purt' near any location in Rome where there are people living, is going to have local bars, restaurants, and whatnot to serve them...

So, to me, it depends on how much you are saving, and how important it is to be in the "center" of things. Also, a bit oddly, the Capo d'Africa location is actually closer to the Metro (at the Colosseo) than the Pantheon is, so being able to take the Metro over to the Vatican or out to EUR (I've always liked the Museum of Roman Civilization there, and most tourists never go) is actually easier...

Bill

by Roadquill

We stayed at the Lancelot in July and I thought it was a very nice place to stay. It is just a short walk East of the Colosseum and there are several nice places to eat close by. From the Lancelot we walked over to the Terme Carracala and in the other direction is St. Peters in Chains with Michaelangelos's Horned Moses. There was a lot of nightlife in just N of the Forum. We also enjoy staying N of Piazza Navona which is close to the Pantheon. As Bill said, you are not that far away from everything. Karl

by babbi_it

As Bill said the area isn't totally dead. in Oppio Hill there are several pubs and restaurant and Trastevere, Testaccio aren't far too.

Comments