Via Cappellini, 29, Rome, 00185, Italy
Expedia.com Venere.com Hotels.com

More about Rome

Santa Susanna alle Terme di DioclezianoSanta Susanna alle Terme di Diocleziano

Theatre with Square of Guilds in BackgroundTheatre with Square of Guilds in Background

The effect of earthquakes on the ColiseumThe effect of earthquakes on the Coliseum

Fontana di Trevi with peopleFontana di Trevi with people

Question for fun locals!!!!

by texnomore

We (my fiancé Preston and I) are planning our honeymoon and might want to meet up with some fun locals at each city we visit!! We aren't leaving until Sept 18th 2008 and we are starting off in Paris, then we go down to Rome, then to Krakow, then Munich, then Amsterdam, then back to the states. We would love to meet up with some cool locals who know how to have fun!! That way you get to see the great stuff that isn't in the tour guides, quaint little restaurants, local pubs where you won't get ripped off, hopefully maybe even make some new friends, who knows!!!! Any suggestions? Leave us some comments and we can chat!!

Re: Question for fun locals!!!!

by LubaLorine

Congratulations on your wedding! It will be an incredible trip you are planning - brava for you!

Just thought I'd mention that I noticed that with where you have placed Munich on your itinerary, you will likely be missing Oktoberfest by just a few days. Perhaps you did this on purpose, but if not I just thought I'd mention it in case you'd be interested in visiting the festival. Most Americans don't realize it actually happens in September and not October. If you are interested, it is really a fun time and if you stay just on the edge of the city or just outside of it, it can be still relaxing but also energetic and fun at the same time. You look like you may be the perfect age for enjoying it, though my hubby and I visited the year after our wedding at the ripe old ages of 33 and 38 and still had a total blast! Check out the official Oktoberfest site at www.Oktoberfest.de to confirm dates. I think it would be as simple as adjusting your city schedule to be: Paris, Munich, Rome/Krakow and then Amsterdam. Easy enough and the transport options from Paris are numerous and can be inexpensive. Look at trains or the cheap inter-european air carriers which are like their versions of Southwest or JetBlue. To find out who flies routes between the cities you are visiting, use these two websites:

www.whichbudget.com
www.flycheapo.com

If you haven't already done so, by all means also check the forums at www.TripAdvisor.com I am a regular contributor to the Italy forums, and occasionally to the Munich one as well. Many fine people in all of these forums and there's incredibly useful info for you there as well.

Hope this helps you out some. Buona fortuna! Ciao - LL

Re: Question for fun locals!!!!

by texnomore

Thank you SO much for you suggestions!!! I will do that!!!

Travel Tips for Rome

Ladies take care

by LondonBob

It will annoy many Romans, but I've found Rome to be the start of the South of Italy in terms of culture w.r.t women.

I've seen American girls esp blonde ones get into hassle - just because they are friendlier. The girls may smile and SOME of the locals think this is a come on and will not stop pestering the poor girls.

I appreciate that a "ciao bella" is flatering and funny but some of these guys take it too far.

I've not seen this in the northern cities- where people tend to be more reserved than in Rome. Rome seems to have this in common with Naples. The men in Milan,Turin,Bergamo and Genoa seem to be wall-flowers in comparison to their Roman counterparts.

Most of the women give as good as they get, but a minority are visibly upset and the guys think its funny.

Beach Life 2: Castelporziano

by melissa_bel

The prettiest beach in the Roma area is a little further: the presidential estate of Castel Porziano. I discovered the Spiaggia Libera at the end of my stay and I regret that I didn't go earlier. The president relinquished part of it for the use of the people and it's a very pristine environment. The beach has big dunes, it's free, very beautiful and they have facilities in some areas. It's a nature sanctuary and beside the beach, you'll find an extensive wood area.
The beach is only open during the summer months though from 9h to 19h.
You'll have to take the train to Ostia until the C. Colombo stop and take the bus 061 to the domain. Attention, that bus runs only every hour (might be addtional busses during the summer).

Crowded Cars

by JDawgg

The Metro is a great way to travel around the highlights of Rome. There are a few down sites. Since Rome is built upon the ancient city, whenever they try to dig new subway lines they run into some ruins and have to stop the dig. Because of this they only have two line. So they train cars can and do become very crowded. Which is a good place of pick-pockets. So becareful but, dont fear the subway. It will get you anywhere you want to go as a Tourist.

A meal in Barberini

by Webboy about La Baita

This place was a little strange. Nice......but strange.

It was called 'La Baita', yet had neon signs inside saying "American Restauraunt". Firstly, the neon signs looked very out of place because the restauraunt actually looked very classy and expensive, and secondly, it probably couldn't have looked any less American. The decor and the menu were obviously Italian.

However, the food was excellent. It was quite expensive though. 9 Euros for 1 pint of beer!!!!!

We had walked quite a few miles around rome that day, so thought we would spoil ourselves, and if you have the money, then it is a nice place to go.

The waiter was excellent. He was obviously working himself. He was rushing around snapping fingers and whistling at other staff. His movements etc reminded me of Manuel, the waiter from Fawlty Towers!!! We were not to original. I ordered the Lasagne. What can i say........i was starving and just wanted food in my stomach! ha ha ha!

The most famous quarry in the world

by Mobleydcat

I couldn't believe that I was looking at a 2000 year old building ! It was built when Roman empire was at peak A.D. 80. The Flavian Ampitheater - its original name was an arena for gladiators. When killing became a spectator sport, the Roman wanted to share the fun and stuck two Greek theaters together.

The Forum opens at 8:30, try to get there early to avoid the crowd ang long lines.

Comments