Casa Franci Bed And Breakfast

Via Della Stazione di San Pietro 22, Rome, Lazio, 00165, Italy

More about Rome

World's most amazing sculptureWorld's most amazing sculpture

Blue Ceiling of the ChurchBlue Ceiling of the Church

Romans are practical people!Romans are practical people!

A carabinieri in Piazza del Popolo, May 2007A carabinieri in Piazza del Popolo, May 2007

Just usual touristy bits

by adiegreen

hi
First vistit out to Rome with two elderly parents so trying to be as organised as possible before i go

Roma Piu pass... can I use it to Tivoli for travel

Where can i find Mass Times for Rome. I realise St Peters is out of the question but can someone suggest a church where a similar atmosphere is.

Thanks for your help... I may be back I have hundreds of bits and pieces rattling around my head

by leics

You can't use a pas for Tivoli, i don't think: it's outide the city limits.

but getting there is easy enough. Metro to Ponte Mammolo (you can use the pass for that bit) then buy tickets for the blue Cotral bus to Tivoli (2 euros each way). Bus journey takes about 40/50 minutes, depending on route, and buses are frequent. I'm about to make a Tivoli page/tips but here's the bus timetable link:

Routes L1, 6 and 7 serve Tivoli: you can download the timetables if you want.

Masses here:

I think you may be able to go to Mass in St Peter's, although it will be in a side-chapel, obviously. There was one going on when I visited a week or so ago.
Alternatives I would suggest are Santa Maria Maggiore (an entirely wonderful church which you must visit) and San Giovanni in Laterano (the original Papal seat).

by adiegreen

thankss for that

Could you tell me are Masses a ticketed affair or can people just turn up. I am over 17th -22nd of April. I know Rome is always busy.
thanks Adrian

by leics

I think people can just turn up to the daily Masses in the side-chapels.

It's the audiences with the Pope, and special Masses, which require tickets.

by effeti

Leics, as always, has already given good advice.
The problem with St. Peter is the (very sad) need of checking everyone's item airport-like, that creates very long lines. So, if only for the mass, it makes much more sense to go somewhere else.
But if you wanna visit St. Peter anyway, just go. I think on a sunday there must be masses at every hour... So once you get in you can just wait by looking at Michelangelos' Pietà... or the many other art pieces you can see there.

Ciao
Francesco

by leics

Agree the lines can be very long indeed......maybe going towards the end of the day is the best idea. I visited at around 4.30 the week before last, and walked straight through: at 10.30 the same day the line was truly massive (stretching all the way across the piazza).

So aim for a later Mass rather than an earlier one. There's plenty to look at while you wait!

by henry14

If you are staying in the Termini or Republicca area you could also consider attending mass (in English) at the Church of Santa Susanna.

We visited briefly a couple of months ago and it really is a beautiful church. We also got Papal Audience tickets through Santa Susanna, but I think the Pope will be in the USA during your visit.

Travel Tips for Rome

Other places to visit while in...

by Patricialuv

Other places to visit while in Rome is the Vatican. St. Peter's Basilica, The Vatican Museum (which inside of it is the famous Sistine Chapel) Other places to visit is the Victor Emanuel Monument, near the colosseum, The Roman Forum, and the rest of the great basilicas of St. Paul, St. John and Santa Maria

A view of the ruins by the Coliseum

by Kodi01

This is a view next to the Roman Empire. You can walk amounst the ruins and see the various temples, housing that existed and columns, many still not standing.

There existed in this area as early as the ninth century a burial ground which was used by the inhabitants of the Palatine City.

Transportation from Airport to Rome

by calligal14

We needed transportation for 8 persons from Rome airport to Civitavecchia, Italy for cruise. Also from cruise to hotel in Rome and departure to airport for 4 different travel times. We contacted Stefano Costantini of Romecabs. After comparing other rates which were pretty much the same, we contracted with Stefano. They were exactly on time every time including suggesting where we should meet in the airport since we were all coming from different places in the US. We asked Sylvester, our driver, to take us to buy wine before checking in at the hotel in Civitavecchia, and he was very accomodating including ruling out the first place as too expensive. The vehicle was large enough for all our luggage also. We paid cash in e's and included a small tip. You could travel cheaper from airport to cruise port but certainly not as dependable or convenient.

Pasta!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by HeikeP about Osteria Le mani in pasta

Homemade pasta par excellance, but at very reasonable rates! Who said in Rome it's expensive to eat out? 6 people, 1 bottle of prosecco, 2 litres of local wine, first course with a huge chunk of real (!!) buffalo mozarella plus either ham or dried beef and their own homemade pasta as a second only cost us Euro 100 - we can't beat that at home in Cologne!!!!

Terme de Caracalla

by horsinround2

The day we went to the Baths of Caracalla was my favorite. The setting is peaceful, beautiful, not crowded, and completly relaxed. The entrance ticket is good for a week and this is a great place to picnic and take an afternoon nap. The baths themselves are very interesting - not much in the way of signs or tour guides, so you need to rely on your tour book.

Comments