Casa Kolbe

Via San Teodoro, 44, New Management from December 2007, Rome, Lazio, 00186, Italy
Kolbe Hotel Rome
Hotels.com Travelocity Venere.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Casa Kolbe

Close to everywhere and no bad surprises

by TripAdvisor Member Ogeday

The hotel is on Via di San Teodoro, which is just above Roma Forum and below Campidoglio Museums. Easy to go everywhere because of very good central location. The room was spacious with high ceiling. There is a Flat Panel TV on the wall, with several Italian, French and German channels. The bathroom is of normal size, with everything present. Nothing to complain. And a Jacuzzi shower was a nice surprise! The staff is helpful, only they don't know much english except those at the reception. A little Italian can be very helpful. I asked for a garden room, although it wasn't in my booking, and they found one for me. Breakfast wasn't the greatest but it was good enough to get you started for a tiring day in Rome. I certainly recommend this hotel to first timers. Next time, I will look for another hotel closer to Navona and Campo Di Fiori. However, Kolbe Hotel will be my safe choice.

A brilliant few days of roman relics

by TripAdvisor Member Helen97

Stayed at the hotel Kolbe for 4 nights last week. Very pleasant, well situated hotel set in a beautiful ,quite ,garden with orange and lemon trees. Large cool room, but whirl pool bath, (although looked great) was rather dangerous and a little difficult to get in and out of, especially with wet floors, so take great care, I did tell the management but whether they will put hand rails up or not, I dont know. It has only been open since 8 December 2007 having been totally refurbished. During our stay a load of chairs arrived for the outside terrace so I imagine they will begin to serve breakfasts out there.We were unlucky enough to have tropical rain for virtually the whole of our stay, but Rome is such a wonderful place it didnt really affect us. We were a little cross on departing to be told that a taxi to Ciampino airport (40 minutes ) from the hotel would cost 60 euros when in fact the set rate for offical Roma taxis is in fact 30 Euros, so either call one yourself and check the price, or walk to the metro 20 minutes away at circo massimo and take the train. Three stops to Termini where you can pick up a bus transfer out to Ciampino or train to Frumicino. We found the bus transfer both ways very efficient and takes you from right outside the terminal building stand 3 into termini .

Lovely!

by TripAdvisor Member dutch123

We stayed at the Kolbe for 2 nights at the beginning of May. It has been refurbished to a very high standard and has a contemporary style.

We were in a junior suite which was of a high standard and very clean. Our only problem was that while we were there the weather became very warm which made sleeping on the mezzanine level impossible as it was so hot up there. When we asked about air conditioning they said they were still on 'winter' heating!? However, just as we were leaving they did seem to be getting the air conditioning switched on.

The hotel is in a great location, very central but very quiet. Would thoroughly recommend.

Excellent choice!

by TripAdvisor Member hannahtonks

Booked this hotel after reading good reviews on trip advisor.
Have been to Rome before so realised how well located the hotel would be.

Was walking distance to all the major sites, on a quiet road away from the busy main roads, so lovely and quiet.

We got shuttle bus from airport to termini, then tube to nearby tube stop. It was then a ten minute walk to hotel, easy to find.

Rooms were spacious and modern, clean.
Great shower with 5 different options including jets from the walls!!

Good access for wheelchairs and lifts to all floors.

Great breakfast.

Nice courtyard / lounge area.

Staff were friendly and very helpful.

Great choice if staying in rome!

We stayed on Top floor - Room 401.

There is a rooftop, but without chairs / bar but do go up there as lovely views!

Very nice..

by TripAdvisor Member LondonJigster

Nice hotel in a nice quiet area - but central enough to walk around to all the main sites. Just to clarify - the forum is 100 metres away, but the entrance to the forum is a lot further!!

Those coming on public transport - Its difficult to walk from the Colosseo metro station if you have bags. A little tip for you guys - From the airport Me and my wife took the slower train into Rome - I say slower, but it was more frequent than the 'Termini' train!! We got off at 'Piramide' and got a taxi from there to the Hotel (costing 11Euros inc luggage). The train directly to Termini costs 11 Euros each, but the train we got was only 6.5 Euros each. Just ask at the ticket booth (walk North-east when you enter the train station from the airport) and ask for a ticket to Piramide. It only stopped at about 5 stops on the way and the train was nice and empty - unlike the train to Termini! Another tip - Taxis will charge 1 Euro for each piece of Luggage you take with you. If there are 3 or 4 people, I would definitely recommend taking a taxi to your hotel as its more cost effective and is a set 40 Euro rate inc luggage. Do not get a taxi from the hotel, as you get charged 6 euro fee call out charge - better off walking round the corner from the hotel and getting one from the street!

Rooms were fairly spacious and new - It was evident that the hotel had recently been furnished. Rooms were nice, but as many other reviewers have mentioned - The AC didn't seem to work and it did get very hot.

Bathroom was very nice.

TV channels were awful

No tea/coffee making facilities!!! - small cup of tea from restaurant was 3.5 Euros!!

Breakfast was good and plentiful - something for everyone! Breakfast staff were very nice - this was in contrast to the reception staff who were not the most friendly and were actually quite clueless. Just didn't feel like they wanted to help and felt very unapproachable.

All in all a nice hotel which i would definitely stay at again - and even recommend - but I’d take a travel kettle and tea bags with me!

Kolbe gets Maximus Marks!

by TripAdvisor Member ChrisJF

My wife and I stayed for 3 nights from the 23rd May 2008 and thoroughly enjoyed our time in Rome and at the hotel. We opted for the lazy approach with the hotel organising a car to collect and return us from the airport (Eur 60 a time paid direct to the driver - not cheap but it was hot and saved the hassle and is door to door – you can get taxis much cheaper if you sort yourself). The hotel is tucked away in an ideal location on a quite road overlooking the ruins of the Forum and in a very safe area. It is literally a 2 minute walk to Piazza Campidoglio one way and Circus Maximus the other. Colosseum & Forum entrance about 15 to 20 minute pleasant walk. Hotel is a solid 4 star, very modern stylish and immaculate (Claudio the barman told us whilst we sipped cocktails that it only opened last December 2007). We stayed in a standard double – air-con was fine and an automated safe meant our belongings were well, safe! Bathroom very nice and breakfast inside or out in the garden 7am to 10am is very agreeable. No tea or coffee making facilities so make sure you stock up on your own drinks. Receptionists efficient and polite so to with all the staff. Nice bar and 2 lovely restaurants round the corner – recommend “In Roma” on Via dei Fienili which has a great view and not the usual Roman traffic flying by and not too pricey. Slight niggle is the only English language TV on offer is BBC World News & CNN. BTW Vatican and Capitoline Museum free last Sunday of the month – but only open in the morning. First time in Italy and very impressed. Booked via Opodo.

lovely place in rome

by TripAdvisor Member bobbyblade

stayed for 6 nights, lovely modern hotel, our view was the forum its just over road, good breakfast with good choice, spotlessly clean and in a nice area of rome.
couple of little restaurants nearby .
only niggle, air conditioning was hit and miss , overall brilliant.

simply fantatsic!!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Frank1971

The positive reviews for this property are spot on....This hotel exceeded my expectations on many levels....the location is PERFECT..removed from the hustle and bustle of the city on a quiet side steet and within walking distance to virtually anything you would want to see!.....there are fantasic restaurants/out door cafe's around the corner from the hotel in tranquil and appealing surroundings.....

The buffet breakfast ( included in rate) in the morning is scrumptious!!..great variety of options served on an outdoor patio surrounded by a lovely garden...

the service was impeccable...the staff was attentive and and eager to give advice on places of interest, restaurants etc

As for my room...Its not often that I walk into a hotel room and am blown away. Best way to describe it is delightful mix of classical and ultra modern decor....lots of neat high tech features in the room and stunning cathedral- like ceilngs!!!. The shower was heavenly...with several nozzels embedded in the wall and a and a rain nozzle overhead..took me a while to figure out how to operate but once I did it was hard to leave the bathroom!!!!

This will def be my choice when I get back! I also stayed at the hotel 47 ( in the same area as the Kolby) on a previuos visit which was also nice but the Kolbe for me was much more impressive!

clean and contempary for the independant traveller

by TripAdvisor Member prosurf

would stay here again.Spotless contempary room, beds a bit hard.Great breakfast served on a lovely garden terrace.Intermitant bar opening times and never found the restaurant.Allow 20 minutes walk to major sites but the quiet location make up for this.

Look out Expedia Bookers

by TripAdvisor Member Jenthefun1

This is a beautiful hotel located in a quasi-ideal location in historic Rome. But, the service was nothing less than horrible, and it was clear from the desk agent that this was driven by our being 'discounted Expedia guests'.

Two other families staying at the hotel who had booked through Expedia expressed similar frustrations. My favorite was when I called to request extra pillows (since these were so thin they barely qualified) and was immediately told "We have none" and then disconnected. Request for local dinner recommendation? "Just walk up the street - you will find something". Request for final statement when we checked out? "We don't give statements to Expedia guests". This experience tainted a tiny bit of every day we spent in Rome and ruined an otherwise beautiful, clean hotel experience with decent-sized rooms for Europe.

A word of warning on location - while the hotel is literally next to Palantine Hill and the Roman Forum, it faces the closed off side, so expect to walk/travel 1/2 mile or so to get to any of these entrances.

How Do I Make Reservations for Casa Kolbe???

by DaLuise

Help!

I've read, repeatedly, on-line - wonderful reviews for this old Monastery, Casa Kolbe, and that it's a great place to stay; near the Colosseum. It's mentioned in many travel guide books as a perfect place for travelers to Rome to stay. It's IMPOSSIBLE - however - to reach the staff/reservation desk at this hotel! They don't have a website, the phone number rings about a hundred times before I finally got cut off and there are only a few vague, obscure references as to how to reach this place (i.e. "try contacting the Cooperative Sociale II Sogno" - who are they???). Somehow, this place is always mentioned as a superior place for overnight accommodations so I'm completely stymied as to what to do next.

Have any of you on-line virtual tourists ever actually STAYED at this place? If so, how in the world do I contact them for reservations? I can't WAIT to hear from someone on this planet that has helpful information for me with this. Thank you in advance!!!

RE: How Do I Make Reservations for Casa Kolbe???

by Beausoleil

Fax: +39 6 6994 1550

You can try faxing them. That often works for us. We've not stayed there so I can't comment.

Check http://www.venere.com or http://www.tripadvisor.com for reviews. I read about six on Trip Advisor and they were very mixed. I suspect we might take a chance though. There are always a couple very negative reviews. You have to look at all the reviews collectively.

Good luck.

Hotel with Views...Collesium??? Recommendations???

by aYankinSyd

Hey all -

Just curious if anybody knows of a cool hotel with views of the Colliseum? The Ritz Carlton type hotels would be a bit much...something with euros150 being the maximum?

or any other good recommendations in Rome?

Thanks heaps!

Mike

RE: Hotel with Views...Collesium??? Recommendations???

by MJB123

When I was looking at hotels to stay at in Rome I came across Casa Kolbe in the area of the The Forum and the Campigdolio. Frommers web site

has the following info on it...

Address Via San Teodoro 44

Prices 62€ ($55) double

Credit Cards AE, MC, V

In Room Amenities A/C, hair dryer, safe

Frommer's Review

Occupying an 1800 building, the Casa Kolbe (often full of bus tour groups from North America and Germany) has a great position between the Palatine and the Campidoglio. The guest rooms are simple and well kept, even if some are worn. The shower-only bathrooms are small. Try to get a unit overlooking the small garden.

Facilities:
Restaurant; lounge; babysitting; laundry; dry cleaning

Did not stay there though because another hotel had a better price.

I am sure if a hotel has views of the Colosseum it will be reflected in their price. Rome is a very expen$ive city.

cheap hotel in the city centre

by Mikebond

I am looking for a cheap hotel (max. 50-60 euro for a double room) in the centre of Roma, where I would spend a week with my mother. We would like to find a quiet place (so, not a hostel) not far from the main attractions. Thanks for any help.
Michele

by Mikebond

My mum has phoned to "Casa Kolbe", which is a convent, but nobody answered.

Hey, I am ITALIAN!

RE: cheap hotel in the city centre

by worldinabag

Hi

I don't think convents are that cheap. And most have curfews. For a little more than your budget try B&B Blue Rose - http://www.bbbluerose.com.

Ciao

by rubbersoul75

Mike,
I'd also say continue with checking the convents. Probably your best bet for quality central lodging at these proces. They ARE indeed cheaper than the hotels, many are run like hotels and very clean. Yes, most have curfews, but if you're traveling with your mom, I imagine you'll be heading back by 11 pm or so anyway right?

We've stayed 3 seperate times in Roma, always in COnvents, and always happy with the stay and costs.

try this website for the best list of Rome convents.

There's also a couple of english language books which I list on my Tuscany lodging tip.

Ciao, buona fortuna, i ci vediamo.

by Mikebond

Thanks a lot for that site. I think I can find an accomodation there. Grazie mille e a presto!

by betboop

Hi,
I too would like to stay @ a convent. We arrive in Rome Nov 1st. I'm puzzled on how to contact the convent and confirm there is room there when we arrive?
Bette

by Mikebond

I have called the cheapest convents in the centre of Rome, but most are already full. I'll try to call other convents later, but I'm rather pessimist.

by Propermark

Ciao Michele!

Credo che potresti dare un'occhiata al sito www.venere.com li dovresti trovare hotel, B&B e ostelli per tutti i gusti e di tutte le categorie. Troverai anche dei giudizi lasciati dai loro clienti.

A presto

Ciao

by Mikebond

Thank you everybody. Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything for that period, so I've given up and booked a room in Budapest instead.

Comments