Casa Olmata

Good (3.0 out of 5.0) 4 reviews

Tags

Backpacking Budget Travel Road Trip

Worst Place I've EVER stayed

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 10, 2009

Avoid this hostel. My wife and I stayed at Casa Olmata for a couple days while we were in Rome. They promote the ability to use a kitchen to make meals. The stove had a closing lid that went over the stove top. We decided to cook dinner. While waiting for water to boil, the hook that was holding the lid popped out, and the stove lid came crashing down. Boiling water with oil in it went everywhere. The boiling water burned my wife's leg from her knee to her ankle.
We called for assistance and it took a long time for anyone from the hotel to come. At which point the hotel owner refused to take us to a hospital. It wasn't until another couple came out of their room, and agreed with us that it was a serious burn that the hotel owner was willing to take us to the hospital. Before another couple got involved, the hotel owner insisted that it was "fine" while my wife was doubled over in pain and crying. At the hospital my wife was given good medical treatment for her large second degree burn.
The hotel owners were resentful and nasty during our ride over to the hospital and made sarcastic comments. Another upsetting part is that they billed us for the ride to the hospital they gave us, as well as our stay.
I could go on and on about how the Casa Olmata shouldn't allow it's guests to use unsafe equipment or how their standards for this hotel are below acceptable. However, the most disturbing thing was that these people do not respond appropriately or even compassionately to an injured guest. It's scary to be in another country and have something go wrong. I expected a basic level of human decency that the Casa Olmata did not provide.

The perfect accomodation!

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 13, 2008

What a great hostel! First of all it is very central: some minutes walking from Termini station and from the Coliseum. And you have a wonderful view from the terrace on the rooftop! Rooms are comfortable and quite clean. What’s more the hosts are very kind, speak English and other languages and organise a spaghetti party for free every two nights! If you are looking for a friendly, cheap and safe accommodation in Rome, definitely go to Casa Olmata!

Unique Quality: Breakfast is included and a baggage storage service is offered before checking in and/or after checking out. You can surf on the internet or have any information you need thanks tothe hosts. A shuttle to the airoport is provided.

Directions: City centre

SJTravel's Profile Photo

What you see on their website is not what you get

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 1, 2007

Don't look to their website if you are interested in knowing what this hostel is like. They are VERY misleading on their website. The rooftop terrace looks nothing like the pictures on their website. The rooftop terrace is nice, but not classy like they make it seem. Its basically a rooftop with backyard (plastic for the most part) furniture. You can go up another set of very shady and shaky steps to get even higher on the roof. They say you can see the Colosseum from the rooftop terrace, and you can, but not the way you think. Although the roof doesn't look that great and wasn't what I was expecting, it was still a nice common area to hang out and meet people. They also have an indoor common area for people to eat, hang out, and watch TV right next to the rooftop terrace. They have a common kitchen which was nice because then I didn't have to spend a ton on food. Breakfast is served at a cafe about a 3 minute walk away, a croissant and cappucino (or another drink). The croissant is very tasty, I suggest bianca chocolate (white chocolate), they let you choose. The staff is a family originally from Romania, the sons are much friendlier/leniant with the pretty girls. The mother is super nice. You have to pay one Euro if you want to store your luggage and you can only store it until 19:30. I would recommend it because for 20 Euro/night, it isn't bad. It is centrally located, between the train station and the Colosseum and the breakfast was tasty. They also gave me a waterbottle on the day I arrived and a little snack pack the day I left. They advertise a pasta party, but don't ever have one. They make a lot of excuses for what they advertise and don't have. I heard that if you don't arrive when reception is open, even if you call and let them know you can't make it, you cannot check in later. They are pretty strict in that respect. But overall, I would recommend it again. It's worth it for the price and the location. And I met a lot of cool people in the hostel.

Unique Quality: The rooftop terrace has a nice view of Rome, but its not what they advertise. They say you can see The Colosseum, and you can, but just the very top of the non broken side. I wouldn't have recognized it if someone didn't point it out. However, I hung out up there 2 nights of my 3 night stay and it was nice. One night, I got to see 2 fireworks shows in the distance, that was neat. My roommates (who I met there) and I took full advanatage of the kitchen. We had huge roommate dinners. It was really nice. They come and clean the rooms every day. They make your bed for you and everything. Sometimes they even change the sheets, even if you are staying another night. It is very clean. The bathroom in my room (room 34) had some issues flushing, but it would eventually flush. It is cool also because within one room, there are different kinds of accomodations available, for instance, there was a married couple staying in my room with me. They had a double bed for them, which I thought was neat.

Directions: Located between the Train Station and The Colosseum, right next to Santa Maria Maggiore. There is a police station, an Irish Pub, and a Tourist Information Kiosk down the street.

Agata_K's Profile Photo

Casa Olmata. It's a laid-back...

by written on August 25, 2002

Casa Olmata. It's a laid-back backpakers' place midway between the termini train station and colosseum.
during summer 2001: around 35,000.00 Lira/pp
not bad...

Unique Quality: Pleasant atmosphere and pasta night every Friday night. Really cool place if you don't mind the stairs you have to climb before reaching reception, no elevators!

Rome Travel Forum

Need advice about Rome, Italy? Visit the Travel Forum for Rome and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Rome hotel reviews

Grand Hotel Fleming
Pleasant (2.5 out of 5.0) 4 Reviews
River Palace Hotel
Good (3.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review
Kennedy Hotel (Via Filippo Turati 62 64 Lazio )
Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 7 Reviews