Vicolo Moroni 22, Rome, 00153, Italy

Castel Sant'Angelo - The fortressCastel Sant'Angelo - The fortress

ProduceProduce

Vatican Opening Times

by AussieTravellers

Hoping someone with a better grasp of Italian than me (whose vocab is limited to words like gelato and other food items) to help decipher information on the official Vatican website.

We'll be in Rome in September and can tell from the calendar that the Vatican is open then.
However, not sure about the times which are in Italian.

"Ingresso-entrance 8.30 -1600" presumably means entrance permitted till 4pm. However this is followed by "chiusura 1800" which is obviously something at 6pm.
Would appreciate knowing what chiusura means.

We are keen to avoid the worst of the queue by going later in the day (also interested in opinions on this idea) but would like to at least have a couple of hours to look around. Would hate to arrive too late to be admitted and then have to repeat the exercise the next day.

Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

by asianbelle

Based on online translator, chiusura means closure. I would presume, people are allowed to enter until 4pm but the museum will close at 6pm, thus giving visitors only 2 hours to move around if they arrive at 4pm.

by Kathrin_E

correct

by mccalpin

If you look at older forum postings on this subject, you'll see that a number of people have been quite happy in going to the Museums after lunch, walking right in, and staying until closing.

I haven't done that myself (we always went off season when the lines in the morning weren't so bad), but I have certainly seen plenty of positive comments to that strategy...

Bill

by ffffffra

Hallo,

On the web site http://www.vatican.va/phome_it.htm it says:
You can enter the museums from 8.30 am till 16.00 (4 p.m.). The museum closes at 18 (6 p.m.), so if you enter at 4 you still have 2 full hours to visit.
The days in red are the days the museum is closed.
The days in green (last Sunday of each month) you can enter for free. Last entrance is at 12.30 and the museum closes at 14.00.

Ciao
Francesca

by jgraff49

It means that they close the doors at 6:00 p.m. If you go buy a tour - you can get in faster because the lines are a nightmare at anytime. We've gone several times, once independently and will never do an independent again. When we purchased a tour, we got in line at 8:15 a.m and were walking in the door by 9:00 a.m. Once we went on a free day and waited in a line that was absolutely over a mile long and three deep for over four hours and finally just left. Have fun.

by Laurel914

I went to the Vatican Museum late May/early June of this year and didn't have any problems with having to wait in line. I think we got there around 2pm and we were able to walk straight in. Mid to late afternoon is definitely an ideal time to go.

by AussieTravellers

Thanks, everyone. Good to know all is open till 6pm. We will try for mid afternoon and hope for the best.

by roamer61

I'm going to buy a Skip-the Line ticket now sold by Viator and numerous other companies. You could do the same.

Travel Tips for Rome

Putting along through the city

by Pawtuxet

Women travelling to work on their Vespa inspired me to buy one for my husband a couple of years ago. He enjoys doing short errands on it around our village. I'm disappointed that it's too heavy for me to ride. It looked so easy when these Italian women did it. Not sure I'd have the guts to ride one in the city streets the way those Italians drive. Yikes!

Shrine at Genazzano

by duine_uasal

A visit to Genazzano will be something that you will always remember. An old time town dominated by the Colonna Castle - where Pope Martin V was born. The shrine has attracted pilgrims including the present Pope and six of his immediate predecessors eversince the fourteenth century. Simple and peaceful and humble - but perhaps that is why you will remember it.

To get there takes about 45 minutes. Buses every half hour cost about ý5.

Fabulous Wine Bar near Trevi Fountain

by sue_stone about Vineria il Chianti

Thanks to a tip that I read on VT before our latest trip to Rome, we popped to Vineria il Chianti one evening and had a fabulous night.

We were lucky enough to get a seat out the front in a small courtyard, and settled back to enjoy a glass or 3 of some delicious Italian wines.

There is an extensive wine list and also a fabulous food menu.

Service was friendly and efficent, and a great night was had by all - I highly recommend this place! We were pretty daggy looking.....had been site seeing all day...

SOME THING SPECIAL

by sunnysmile about CASINA VALADIER

One look at the place with its double entrance sweeping staircase and you say "oh my god this is going to be expensive!"
but it wasn't 75 euros per head which included a 3 couse meal with wine and coffee a little more than your average meal but well worth it!
the sevice was superb the ambience has to be the best we had our coffe and drinks on the varranda overlooking the city.
the menu was varied and cooked to perfection. deffinatly worth a visit starter- duck in a sauce 9euros
main course-veal 22 euros
desert chocolate pudding (to die for) 10 euros
wine 18 euros per bottle(we had 3)

Colosseo

by rita_simoes

The Colosseo is my favourite thing to do in Rome.

Couldn't be otherwise, I've had a beautiful pic of the Colosseo on my desktop for over a year, dreaming about it every time I switched on the computer, and when I finally saw it I was very excited. I left a visit to the interior to the last day, which is a WRONG thing to do if you are short of time; I didn't expect the huge ticket line and I almost risked to miss it. So, make reservations or go with time.

The interior is quite disappointing for most people; I guess some just expect to see it like in the film 'Gladiator'. But I was thrilled! Even if it's so much 'empty', because of all the sacking and destruction it suffered through the years, you are still able to imagine how it was in its glorious days, imagine the people and animals running through those tunnels and the audience applauding enthusiastically.

It's the major symbol of the city and you can't miss it!

Comments