Casa Vacanza Vaticano

Via Domenico Barone 31, Rome, 00165, Italy
AMOMA.com

More about Rome

JeannKelly in grips of Eva Kant's cohort!JeannKelly in grips of Eva Kant's cohort!

Inside San Pietro’s Basilica, RomeInside San Pietro’s Basilica, Rome

Temple of Saturn in the Roman ForumTemple of Saturn in the Roman Forum

Ovoline di bufulaOvoline di bufula

Should I choose Tivoli or Ostia Antica from Rome?

by denny3

Thanks to you who have helped us plan our trip to Rome in March 08. I have another question: Since we will be in Rome (only) for a full seven days and will be seeing ruins upon ruins, would anyone like to suggest which side trip we should take: Tivoli or Ostia Antica? We want only to do one or the other. It seems to me that Ostia Antica will be somewhat of a repeat of what we will be seeing in Rome (Forum, etc.) and Tivoli less so. Your suggestions and opinions will be GREATLY appreciated.

by ATLC

Ostia Antica is certainly not a repeat of Rome. It's also a very easy and quite short trip from Rome. You take a metro to Piazzale Ostiense and then a train (30 mins) to Ostia Antica. From there you simply walk to the site.

by nicolaitan

We have never been to Ostia Antica but spent an afternoon enjoying the Ville d'Este and Hadrian's Villa on one of the very few worthwhile tour bus trips from Rome. There are a few images on my Tivoli page which may give you an idea of what to expect.

by lina112

We went to Rome for 6 days and we visited Ostia Antica and Tivoli, so i recommend visit both. Ostia Antica is 20 km from Rome and very easy to reach, take metro line B to Pyramide and then take the train lido, you can ask to the staff on the station and they show you. Once you reach ostia is a 10 minutes nice walk to the city. We spent the morning there and it was nice, after you can back to Rome and continue visiting the city. Bus is the best way to go to Tivoli, you have to take the Cotral bus, price is 1.60 euro per trip (that´s i paid 2 years ago) and the station is Tirbutina but i´m not sure, you can ask to the recepcionist of the hotel where you stay sure they know. Hope it will help you. Lina

by embi40

I, too, have been to both Tivoli and Ostia Antica. One thing to keep in mind is that the fountains at Villa D'Estes may not be running in March. They are shut down for the winter for cleaning, etc... and let me tell you, the Villa of 500 Fountains without running water is not so great a sight. The Villa itself and the grounds are still glorious but it was very disappointing to go there and not see one fountain in action. When I went to Tivoli it was a combo Villa D'Estes and Villa Adriana (Hadrian's Villa) day tour and I really loved Villa Adriana. I'd recommend going simply for Villa Adriana. Ostia Antica is a binch of ruins as you suggested with similarities to the many ruins you would see in Rome proper- but the scale of the place is quite a bit more impressive than Il Foro Romano. It reminded me more of Pompeii than the Forum. It would be great to do both tours but if you can't I'd choose based on all the info you've gotten from the VTers so far. Hope this helps!! Have a great trip- Roma is my most favorite city in the world.

Travel Tips for Rome

vatican

by lostaussie

if you are not religious- it doesnt matter. just dont leave the vatican for your last day as i was so sick of churches that i (and my camera) gave it nowhere near the attention it deserved. i didnt visit the treasury, any museums or the sistine chapel which of course i already regret but just didnt want to see another church so everyone- go on your first or second day while the interest is still there.

Well, when I was in Rome, it...

by barcodex

Well, when I was in Rome, it was actually my HoneyMoon trip. So I was really interested when guide said about the role of this building in Rome's life. I was told that some wedding pairs register themselves in this house. I found it very nice and appropriate to holiday atmosphere of wedding.

Comfortable shoes.

by venteeocho

Leonardo da Vinci (Fiumicino) airport is 26km (16mi) southwest of the city. One of the most convenient ways to get into town is by the Stazione Termini direct train, which usually runs hourly from the airport. You can also get a train from the airport to Trastevere, Ostiense and Tiburtina. A night bus runs to Stazione Tiburtina. If you're driving, an autostrada runs from the airport to the city via EUR - it's a 45-minute drive and will cost you a small fortune by taxi.

Rome's other airport is Ciampino, about 20km (12mi) southeast of the city. From there you can catch a COTRAL bus that connects with a subway to Stazione Termini, or you can drive down the Via Appia Nuova.

The city bus company is ATAC, and most of the main buses terminate at the bus station outside Stazione Termini where you can get a map of the bus routes. Buses run from around 6am to 12am, with some services running throughout the night. The city's Metro service (which is convenient for many of Rome's sights) has two lines, both of which go through Termini.

A bus ticket is also valid for the city's Metro and train services. You need to buy your ticket from a tobacconist, newsstand or vending machine before you get on the train or bus - there are hefty fines for travelling without a ticket, even if you are a dumb foreigner.

The city's Metro service (which is convenient for many of Rome's sights) has two lines, both of which go through Termini. The above-ground rail network isn't much use to most visitors.

Driving in Rome is hairy in the extreme, and parking is a nightmare. Only drive if you absolutely have to.

You can pick up a cab from one of the city's many taxi ranks or phone one any time of day. Be warned though, taxis are notoriously expensive, and if you call a cab, the meter is turned on as soon as you call, rather than when you are picked up.

Sometimes, in Rome, it pays to just to get off the roads. The historic centre is relatively small and quite manageable on foot. Wear your comfortable shoes.

A bit of Ireland

by alemir82 about Druid's Den

This Irish pub is popular with locals and tourists alike. This is a great place to go and down a couple of pints, talk a whole lot of nonsense and meet some new people. They serve a wide range of beers, wines and spirits.

Walking trough the busy streets

by Glorija

Rome is a big city but the city center is very nice to walk or to go around with the subway. Specially if there is a sunshine day (like we had) the briliant Rome can be fantasric. All the fountains and parks and streets are shining and inviting you to look the beauty of it. The Rome really is a special place and although it is quite crowded with tourists the trip to Rome can be very cool.

I had a lovely time must admit!

Comments