Casa a Testaccio B&B

More about Rome

Loft bedroomLoft bedroom

Sienna CathedralSienna Cathedral

Piazza di SpagnaPiazza di Spagna

Palazza Massimo - "Boxer" head statue .Palazza Massimo - "Boxer" head statue .

good cheap honest food

by hattita

I know everyone probably asks this question but i am off to rome this weekend and am also a serious foodie. would love any tips on good cheap restos to eat in... just good italian food no frills..particularly NOT fancy places... also good cool bars/wine bars with local brew.. to drink in with the locals... can anyone help per favore?

grazie!

Hattie

by goodfish

We enjoyed these two very much:

L'Archetto di Fontana di Trevi
Via dell'Archetto 26, 00187 Roma
1 block from Trevi Fountain
Spaghetti with a choice of 100 lovely sauces
Very good, inexpensive, casual and fun.

I'Insalata Ricca
Multiple locations (see website).
We ate at the one near Piazza Navona.
Again, very good, inexpensive and casual.

Outside dining is available at both
I covered both in tips on my Rome page

by dino335

Check out the article here: http://travel.nytimes.com/2009/03/22/travel/22choice.html?pagewanted=2

by Maurizioago

Restaurant Tosca is a good restaurant. It's near Piazza Navona. I wrote a tips about it on my Rome page.

by leics

The restaurants/bars/cafes in the streets around Termini station are less touristy and more 'local' than in other parts of the city centre (and, imo, a bit cheaper...but central Rome is not a cheap place). Especially those in the area on the opposite side to the centre of Rome .....sorry, not very clear, just walk through the station concourse and explore the streets behind it.

I have one or two tips on my Rome pages.

by vichatherly

I suppose it depends what you call cheap. I've just come back from Rome and was spending around 25 Euros for a plate of Spagetti and a small beer.

I did find a decent spot for lunch though at about 30 Euros,

Risorante Strega
Address: Piazza del Viminale, 27/31
Directions: Pretty easy to find, in the Termini Stazione area of the city
Website: www.ristorantestrega.it

by leics

Gosh....

I don't usually pay more than 20 euros for a main course, bread and a half-carafe of house wine....sometimes I have a coffee and dessert as well (then I'd allow 25 euro, perhaps).

But I do make very, very sure I stay well away from touristy routes anywhere (not just Rome, or Italy), and that does make a huge difference. As does eating in bars/cafes/pizzeria rather than 'proper' restaurants.

by RalphRT

Hattie

My wife and I just got back from Italy. The food in Rome is expensive. Pasta dishes are anywhere from 10-18 euro and that is for most "modest" size servings of pasta. Pizza is the cheapest thing you will find on any of the menus. You can find it as low as 5 euro, but we found the food in Rome to be expensive. Most are ala carte and even the most modern little restaurant was not cheap.

Travel Tips for Rome

If it's good enough for the Nuns.....

by surferob

There's a nice walk between the Trastavere neighborhood and the Vatican called the Passeggiata del Gianicolo (or something like that). If you can manage to not get lost finding the beginning of the damn thing, as we did, you'll find it a lovely walk. It offers numerous views of the city and surrounding hillsides.

I saw a few churchgoing types enjoying the view. I like this shot.

Packing List

by tanianska

You need to take comfortable SHOES!!! Because you will go on foot day and night, round the clock and it will be not enough for you! Don't forget your PHOTOCAMERA! Every centimeter of this great city worthy of note and photographing!
But! Real Rome more-more beautiful than Rome in the photos.

Best Shoes in the World

by Jmill42 about Ferragamo

While you can find clothes at this shop as well, I believe Ferragamo shoes to be the best in the world. Maybe they just fit my feet perfectly, but normally I hate wearing true dress shoes, because I can never get a pair that fits properly. The ones I purchased here not only fit, but are made of the best materials and in the best way. Shoes If you go during one of Rome's "Saldi" times, you can get everything for at least 30% off. I got mine for 50% off seeing as though they were "last seasons". Like I care...

Rip Off Restaurant near P'zza di Spagna

by lop1957 about Antica Roma Caffetteria

We were hungry and were looking in all the small stand up restaurants looking for a good reasonable place to eat. We came across this place located at Via di Propaganda, 26/B and the food in the cases looked good and the price seemed reasonable. We order and paid for the food and it was a good price. My daughter wanted a can of coke so I told her to grab 2 which she procceded to open. When I asked the cashier how much she told me 9 Euro. I told her I paid for te food already and she said she knew the cokes were 4.50 Euros a piece. That's like 7 bucks! What could I do? My daughter had already opened them so I had to pay. I was not happy but as we ate a guy and his girlfriend asked how much for the two 2 scoop gelatos they had started eating and the cashier told them it was 24 Euro. That's 6 Euro a scoop! Needless to say he questioned her and was not happy! Beware and ask for the price first. Don't assume anything

Latte Macchiato

by Packerman about Hmmmm?

Coffees, pastries, sandwiches. It was about our tenth day in Rome when we finally ordered a coffee (latte macchiato) in a cafe, and I couldn't believe it only cost 80 cents. If I would have known that we would have gotten one every morning, they are so good. They cost 3-4 Euros in Venice.

Comments