Chiara Stella

via Santa Croce in Gerusalemme 103, Rome, Lazio, 185, Italy

More about Rome

The entrance cloisterThe entrance cloister

PantheonPantheon

Palace of Septimius Severus, Palatine HillPalace of Septimius Severus, Palatine Hill

VIIth century chapel of Our Lady of MercyVIIth century chapel of Our Lady of Mercy

Audioguide Rome

by StanDrap

Hi! guys,
I,m looking for a good audioguide for the city of Rome,(like Audioguide TuttaRoma for example). Does anyone know one?.
Thanks.

by manuna

by ringleader

Hi there,

We've been searching the same thing--- and we FOUND IT! Go to http://www.ricksteves.com/news/travelnews/0602/audiotour_menu.htm

for Rick Steve's free audio tour guides for all the popular locations in Rome. We listened to some, and they sound good. Just load on your mp3 or iPod, and you're all set - for FREE.

Enjoy~
Holly

by monorailgold

Hello,

I have to second Pocketvox. Used them on our last trip to Rome and Venice and loved it. Their tour of the forum is really good. I also really enjoyed their tours of the Dorsoduro areas in Venice if you are heading that way.

Donna

Travel Tips for Rome

The Basilicas of Rome

by Malecka

Even if you aren't a religious person (like myself), the Basilicas in Rome are a true architecture gem and can be at least marveled as fantastic works of art.
The biggest one (in the world as well) is the very well-known St. Peter's Basilica, and the other ones are: Santa Maria de Maggiore, San Giovanni and San Paolo Basilica (the latter two are more often than not overlooked by tourists, especially San Paolo Basilica which is marvelous, but not as close to the center of the city).

They are stunning and capture you with their grandiosity and beauty.

You can reach S. Giovanni Basilica by the metro, line A (the station bears the same name); St. Maria de Maggiore is very close to the station Termini; St. Paul's Basilica is a bit further away, but can be reached by metro as well, line B (the station is named Basilica San Paolo).

Apart from these, obviously there are so many beautiful churches San Pietro in Vincoli (, very close to the Colosseum, where the statue of Moses captures the visitor more than anything else), San Clemente, Santa Croce in Gerusalemme (easily reached from San Giovanni basilica, just follow the viale Carlo Felice), and many others.

Again, you can't really see them all. Just choose what you think you'll find most interesting.

Chariot racing?? Well, not exactly - but close...

by icunme

Harness racing is a form of horseracing in which the horses race in a specified gait--either the trot or the pace. They also usually pull two-wheeled carts called sulkies, although races to saddle are still occasionally conducted.
Tor di Valle racetrack is on the outskirts of Southern Rome. It really appears to be the richest test for sophomore trotters found in Italy.
The complete area is comprised of 420,000 square metres of which 120,000 are dedicated to the public, 100,000 to the race track, 100,000 to the stable area and 100,000 to varied use. The stable area (a total of 730 boxes) includes: 115 saddle-rooms, 2 storehouses, 4 smithies, a manure box, veterinary service, isolation boxes, lodging and services for personnel, a restaurant, cafeteria, a coffee shop and 2 reserved parking lots.
Entrance fee is 3 Euro.
It is reachable from the city's centre by taking the Via del Mare in direction of Ostia or via the Gran Raccordo Anulare by taking the Via Ostiense (exit 28) in direction of Rome. The Racecourse is also accessible by public transport by taking the Subway B Line to the Magliana station followed by the Ostia-bound train till the Tor di Valle station. It is also possible to take a shuttle bus directly from the Magliana Subway station to the Tor di Valle Racetrack.

Italians love Duran Duran

by cckbp7 about Live Aid

While debating what to do on our last night in Italy, we found a poster saying that Live Aid, a free concert, was going on here in Rome. Unfortunately, the metro had just stopped running and the concert was about a 25 minute brisk walk. Being bored, we decided to go anyway. When we got there we pushed our way through the crowd, inadvertantly stepping on people, just in time to hear Beck singing the end of "Where its at" and then walk off the stage. Great, we just walked all that way to hear 10 sec of music. Then we found out that Duran Duran was still going to play. Now I'm not a huge fan of Duran Duran, but apparently Italians are. The crowd of mostly teenagers went crazy for the 1980's band. I had no idea that these guys were still touring, but evidently they still have a huge following in Italy. This is something I never expected to do while in Europe, but I guess its the unexpected things you do when you travel that you end up remembering forever. Jeans/casual

Warning example about bad service in Rome, Italy.

by kytosaho about IL CHIANTI

This is merely where NOT to eat in Rome.

My wife and I travel mostly across Europe - I travel also globally due to nature of my work. Just visited Rome in our summer holiday July 2007. I HAVE NEVER FACED SO ARROGANT BEHAVIOUR IN ANY OTHER RESTAURANT IN THE WORLD.

We went to restaurant "IL CHIANTI" very near to the fountain of Trevi with plenty of seats outside. We ordered first 20 euro beefs in the menu with a bottle of house red wine. In the plates there were one beef with few slices of potato. I found out my beef was totally red inside, merely raw, even though ordered medium. I CAN TOLERATE THIS.

My wife strongly dislikes connective tissues and ligaments in beef, thus we always order merely expensive beefs. Everywhere in the world so far, the 20 euro beef has been tasty and enjoyable. This time my wife could not eat her beef because the beef was full of connective tissues and ligaments. Her appetite was gone. I am not so sensitive about the ligaments, so I started eating. Eventually I found also that my beef had also plenty of connective tissues and I could not finish the beef. I CAN TOLERATE THIS.
Quality of service is really tested in case of customer reclamation.
How personnel response to a customer complaint, tells you all about the culture of the place. I CAN NOT TOLERATE ARROGANT BEHAVIOUR by the 'manager' repeating "not my problem". In this case we were forced to pay the total price.

Near one of Roma's most popular resort, fountain TREVI, it seems you do not need to bother work to keep regular customers. That's why one can get cocky and arrogant against customer feedback. Never give it an other chance.

Elegant Roman Enoteca

by MM212 about L'EnotecAntica

Decorated with beautiful Roman frescoes, arches, and wooden ceilings, this elegant wine bar is another delicious Roman experience. L'EnotecAntica is located steps from the main shopping streets in Rome and is frequented by locals. It offers a great selection of Italian wines and antipasti, and also has a dining room in the back for seated dining.

Comments