Via del Macao 12 int. 6, Rome, 00185, Italy

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Ciao Roma

I found a relatively easy and...

by XwrldtrvlrX

I found a relatively easy and inexpensive way to see the main attractions within Rome--ciao Roma Trolley tours. The trolley has specified timed stops so you can hop on and off at your leisure, moving on to the next location when you are ready. They have pre-recorded information about the sights in numerous languages. Price is 30,000 lira per person per day.

Ciao Roma!

by anne_h

For me all roads really do lead to Rome. I spent nine months there, from September 2001 (I arrived a week before the attack on the Trade Center) to April 2002.

"the old alongside the new"

Cars have to be small in Rome to fit through those narrow streets. I love these little minis!

"ruins everywhere"

These are some old temples near the church with the Bocca della Verita' (mouth of truth).

Ciao Roma!

by YoGazpacho

"What is in a Ciao?"

When I first came to Rome, I thought ciao only meant "goodbye." My friend and I sat down in an official Italian pizza restaurant, when a man at the table across from us was waving his hand and saying "Ciao, ciao, ciao!" I was really confused since we had just arrived. I wasn't ready to say goodbye.

Luckily ciao means hello and goodbye. Tricky. Now I don't mind saying "ciao" to Rome when it's time to leave. It's kind of like not leaving at all.

by OrlandoBR

For some reason, Rome is the city which leaves me most nostalgic when I think of my trips to Europe. I love it. Granted, it is the quintessential touristic city. We westerns are the product of the Roman Empire, and not much has changed after these 2 thousand years: our religion, legal institutions, language, architecture and customs all derive directly from that of Ancient Rome.

The city is big, quite noisy and chaotic. It is constantly disturbed by the sirens of ambulances - perhaps as a result of its annoying traffic and careless drivers. But still, it's one of the most beautiful cities in the world, certainly the most interesting, and one that everybody has the right and duty to visit.

All pictures are by myself (unless I appear on them).

It`s Rome, not the Vatican...

All right, that was a different country on my big picture above: so here's your Coliseum!

...but who doesn't love that Basilica?...

by unimatrix0

Of the places we visited last december-January, Rome was the least cold. When we were there the temperature was on average about 12 degrees during the day (not bad by European standards) and there were a couple of days where the maximum reached 17 degrees!! (not so unlike a Sydney winter day). I'm not sure if this was normal or freaky!!
During the day in Rome, I did not feel the need for a warm hat (until late afternoon/evening, when the temperature did drop a bit). Nevertheless, I am someone who really feels the cold and I took with me a full length down-filled jacket, which I wore on all except those warmest days. Keep in mind though, that indoors is always quite warm and you will need to shed your scarves and outer layers. I took warm underwear (thermals) but did not use them in Rome (because once they're on, you're stuck with them! )Wear outer layers you can take off, instead.
I bought another nice coat for myself in Rome - not from an expensive shop but from one of the many stret sellers. It may not be Versace, but it cost me 20 Euros and I think it's great. (it's the one I'm wearing at the Bocca Della verita).There are plenty of such places in Rome, so leave room in your suitcase! You can also buy real Italian leather shoes very cheaply from a multitude of street sellers and markets.
If I was going again, I think I'd choose to stay somewhere immediately close to Termini or around Piazza Repubblica. (which is more or less a stone's throw from Termini anyway. Mind you, they told us that our hotel was 'close to termini', but it was a good 15-20 minutes walk through some pretty dark and, by our standards somewhat unsavoury streets. We didn't actually have any trouble, but like I said, if I was going again, I'd definitely go a bit closer to Termini. Not only is it the place to hop on underground and bus services, but it's also a nice, busy area with some shops and quite a few little pizzarias/trattorias.
In Rome, you can pretty much walk to the main tourist sites, but at night, when you're tired, it's nice to have the option of a bus/train or subway. They are all very crowded though, which you will either hate or consider part of Rome's charm.

Ciao ROMA!Ciao ROMA!

Ciao Roma!Ciao Roma!

Mind the gap!Mind the gap!

This is the street Monday to SaturdayThis is the street Monday to Saturday

18 day trip to italy,need deatis following..

by hoova

Hi All,Came across this site while planning for my 18 day summer holidays to Italy and Switz.
Could anybody help me organising my trip bit more cheap.I am with my husband.
Suggest any cheap hotels in all of the cities we're visitng and also the train schedule.
Our schedules are
1.Landing Rome near 12.30 pm,take train to Napels,stay for 2 days,visit Pompei.
I would like to know the train schedule to Napels,how long the journey is?
2.From Napels,train to Rome,stay for 3 days.
3.Train to Florence,stay for 3 days,visit Pisa.
4.Train to Venice stay for 2 days.
5.Train to Zurcih. Staying there for 5 days.
6.back to Rome.
Fly back home,Finland.

Quick Reply please.......
Thanks....

by Sarita76

For train timetables, have a look at : www.trenitalia.com
Ciao ciao,
sara

by hoova

that was quick reply....I have one more to ask,I stay in Finland,I have shengen work permit. Is it possible for us take any euro rail passor euroflexi pass? if not what are the other options...???

by mabu

hi.

for timetables look at www.trenitalia.it or www.rail.ch don't forget to use the italian names of the places!

for hotels have a look at the vt pages of the destinations i'm sure you will find something!

for the tickets: i would suggest a euro-domino or interrail ticket (both available if you live in europe since 6 months) if not a eurail (flexi) pass. but check the prices of the individual tickets first, they may be cheaper then interrail or eurail!! you will find help at the next (not to small) station in europe.

greetings
mab├╝

18 day trip to italy,need deatis following..

by Tony-da-Roma

In the naples area I would recommend on the island of Capri:
Villa Eva

3 Millennia Tours
www.threemillennia.com
tony@threemillennia.com

by dc.milo

The last time i was in Florence my friends and I had alot of trouble finding a room. A British couple overheard our problem and took us to a campground just below the the Piaza Michelangelo, overlooking the entire city, it turned from near disaster to one out our best accomidations. It was also only a 15 min. walk to the center of the city. and under $10 US for tent rental. Good Luck.

Comments