Via della Tenuta di Torrenova 60, Rome, 00133, Italy

More about Rome

Area Sacro di Largo ArgentinaArea Sacro di Largo Argentina

Stadio Olimpico - CL Final 2009Stadio Olimpico - CL Final 2009

Trevi FountainTrevi Fountain

Casino della Meridiana in the third gardenCasino della Meridiana in the third garden

new year

by JESSMACewan

I have been to Rome 3 times already and know my way around most of the well know locations via the metro and by foot. Have stayed in hotels Brasile, Alex and latterly Palatino. My friend and I ( both female, Scottish)are now considering Rome for this New Year, any tips or recommendations would be useful. Obviously at that time of year we would expect things to be a litle different from usual.we are used to walking reasonable distances, assuming the streets in the main celebration areas will be quite crowded and transport limited should we be concerned if we have to walk back to our hotel ? Any suggestions for best area to bring in the new year ?

by rkearns

the piazza navona is one of my favorites!

by Bothwell

Hi. Wifey and I are scheduled to spend New Year's eve in Rome too. Don't know if it's a good idea to join the celebration at the St. Peter's Square, but that's where we might go. Another popular site based on our research is the Piaza Navone. Hope others can throw more info this way.

Incidentally, the penultimate leg of our tour shall be Edinburgh. Too bad we'll miss the Hogmanay. But being Scots that you are, I guess you've gotten too used to it and don't find it as special as us outsiders.☺

Have lots of fun in Rome.

by johnfromoz

My wife & I stayed at the Hotel Raphael www.raphaelhotel.com which is two minutes walk from Piazza Navona. It would be perfect for new years eve as you would not have to worry about getting back to your hotel after the festivities. The rooms were lovely, the staff friendly & helpful plus they have a wonderful rooftop terrace.
Hope you have a great trip.

Travel Tips for Rome

Quick stop in Rome

by monkeydennis

if all you can manage is 2 nights then you can see lots in Rome if you are REALLY organised and plan plan plan.. We had 3 nights and just managed to do the things we wanted. Bear in mind that if you want to see the Bascilica at The Vatican it is not open on the days of the Papal audiences. We were caught out 2 years ago and went on a Wednesday, the area was full of chairs and you could not see the basilica until late afternoon. Yes - the Vatican will take half a day if you do the Sistene Chapel - its right at the end of the museum tour so takes a while to get to. The best thing to do is get a map of the city and try to do things that are in the same area on each day. The "hop on hop off" city tour bus is a good way to get round the city and see the sites you may not see otherwise (even if they are from the outside). You can get on and off on a circular route all round the city. I was glad we found time to visit the Capuchin Monks Chapel. Its under the Church if the Immaculate on v. veneto. It is 6 crypts decorated with nothing but the human skeleton bones of the monks from the 17th century. I though it would be a bit like a horror set from a movie but instead I was really moved by just how holy and sacred it felt - I am not at all religious. Its not one for small kids but teens and adults will find it worth a visit.

Also another memory is how amusing it was to hear the guards in the Sistene chapel "shushing" everybody at 2 minute intervals - when they silence they mean it !!

PIZZA!!
If you are American,...

by HAWLEYJ

PIZZA!!
If you are American, Pizza is also your culture, but since it originated in Italy you HAVE to try it here! My first experience with Italian pizza was here at the Piazza Navona in Rome. The pizzas are much more thin than in America. You can easily eat an entire one by yourself. But the greatest thing about them is that they are FRESH!! In TYPICAL Italian style, even the tomato sauce tasted like is was just mixed in a blender. Such a treat!

Tuscania

by janchan

The small old town of Tuscania, in the province of Viterbo. It was already known during the roman age. On the background is visible the romanesque-longobard church of St. Peter. There are also beautiful hot springs around and etruschian sites.

To get there (100 km from Rome), take the Cassia road (SS 2) to Viterbo.

Every half hour

by tompt

Every half hour there is a non stop train between the Fiumicino International Airport (also know as Leonardo da Vinci Airport) and the city. This line is called the Leonardo da Vinci Express. It travels to the Termini Station. In front of this station many busses leave for other areas in the city. The metro also travels from here.

The train ride will take about 30 minutes for the 33 kilometer the airport is located from Rome.

It costed us (in january 2004) 9,50 Euro per person, one way trip.
But a taxi to the city centre will cost approx 45 Euro.

My favorite pizzeria in Rome

by sikorka about Er Panonto

Er Panonto is la pizzeria located in Garbatella district. This is my and my husband the best pizza place since we moved to Italy. We've tried lots of different pizza places, but this one can not be bitten.
The place by itself is very usual, nothing extraordinary, there are 3 big rooms and in the summer there is a large patio outside. The place is always crowded and even on Monday evening you will find there many Romans.
It's a typical Roman pizza place, family run and with clients who come there since many years.
Er Panonto serves a very thin pizza, what is typical for Rome. I find it really tasty and hope you will enjoy it as I do.

The price is rather low, 2 pizzas, beer, a bottle of water, 2 cafes: 20 Euro (ONLY CASH)

OPENS FROM 7:30PM - 11pm
IT'S CLOSE ON WEDNESDAY!!! My favorite pizza is "Rughetta and bresaola" or Margherita, but choose what you like the most.

Comments