CityRoom Bed & Breakfast

CityRoom Bed & Breakfast
Orbitz.com eDreams Booking.com

More about Rome

Ponte FabricioPonte Fabricio

waiting to pick up our orderwaiting to pick up our order

OSTIENSE STATION IN ROME NEAR METRO PYRAMIDOSTIENSE STATION IN ROME NEAR METRO PYRAMID

Capitolino museum - Dog.Capitolino museum - Dog.

day-trip Orvietto andTivoli, Hadrian's Villa, Villa d 'Este

by oslocairo

Hi! so much to choose form for day trips, I'm not sur ewhat to do.

I want to take at least two day trips, one will be to Pompeii/Herculaneum. Then I am thinking of Tivoli, Hadrian's Villa, and Villa d'Este, but I don't know how much time I should set aside for those three.

Also, it would be nice to visit a medieval town, but which to chose. I had heard Orvieto is nice. Is that a day-trip?

Any other suggestions? Also how to get to these places.

Thanks!

by mccalpin

haha...nice story!

Yes, Orvieto is just an hour or so north of Rome (depends on which train you take), and it is a lovely town...that was founded by the Etruscans. Well, there's not much left of the Etruscans, sadly, except for the foundation of a temple and what's in the museum, but I hear that there are cave tours now (Etruscans liked to tunnel under their cities through the tufa) which I haven't done but which would be fun.

The cathedral in Orvieto is smashing, with its gold mosaics shining in the setting sun. And it's just a nice place to walk around in.

There are other old cities near Rome - Civita' di Bagnoregio comes to mind (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civita_di_Bagnoregio) - but Orvieto may well be the easiest (and fastest) to get to for a day trip, because it's on that high speed rail line from Rome to Florence.

As for your other question about Tivoli et al. I haven't been to Villa d'Este, but Hadrian's Villa alone would need at least a half a day to get out there (by bus from Stazione Tiburtina), walk around the site (it's all outdoors), and go someplace else. So I am thinking that doing both "villas" would take up a good part of the day, particularly if you do something like eat lunch in Tivoli.

In terms of other trips, Tarquinia is an hour and 20 minutes up the west coast from Rome by train - easy to get to except that the train station is out of town so you'll need to take the bus into the city center (I am assuming that the bus schedule is co-ordinated with the trains, but I always drove so I don't know). Tarquinia is one of the premier Etruscan towns, with a classy Etruscan museum in a small Renaissance palace in town and an Etruscan necropolis outside of town.

Bill

by moscit

Hi, Orvieto is definately doable from Rome. Just make sure to get on a fast train and not one that stops frequently. Also FYI the station at Orvieto is at the bottom of the tufa plateau where the city center is, so you have to take the funicular up, make sure to check the schedule of the funicular so that you don't miss your train back to Rome.

Definately take the underground tour of the caves. Very interesting to see. You can sign up for a tour at the office in the main piazza where the Duomo is (if you are facing the Duomo it is in the corner to you right near the little parking lot). Enjoy, it's pretty little town. Try the white tartufo (truffle)!

Thanks everyone.

Orvieto sounds great for my trip. I'll probably go there since I don't have a car and the fast train sounds really convenient and time-saving.

by oslocairo

Thanks everyone. Orvieto sounds great for my trip. I don't have a carso taking the fast train will also be convenient and time-saving.

Travel Tips for Rome

Arch of Constantine

by bugalugs

This triumphal arch was built to commemorate Constantines victory over Maxentius in 312AD

But the arch is actually built with bits and pieces from other things. Some stonework from 81AD and some hunting scenes from 117AD

It is adjacent to the Coloseum.

Ditch the map

by dawn67

Once you've seen all the main sights, ditch the map and have a wander about.
You'll be walking around and suddenly come across a piazza and statue. You'll find some of the most intersting things off the beaten path.

We found a restaurant (I couldn't tell you how to get to it now!) that looked like it it was in the middle of nowhere and wouldn't get much business yet it was full of locals.

Well we went to this club...

by fotografik

Well we went to this club called 'Alien.' I remember this club from 5 years ago when I was there the first time. So we went and it happened that it was a Polish night. 90% of the crowd was Polish except the 3 of us :-))) It was so much fun!! We got sooooooo drunk with our lovely 5 or 6 tequila shots.
Because we were different from everyone in the club :-) I do not recommend it but I had fun :-) and it is rather far from the center.

Cosy , Great Roman Atmosphere

by Roma_Lady about Taberna

The ambience created by surroundings of painted fresco like walls, Roman pillars and statues makes for a very pleasant dining experience. Reminded me of Pompeii. It can get very busy especially later in the evening. The food is good with offerings of typical tourist Italian dishes. Margherita pizza.

Vatican tours

by 24debbie

If you want to visit the Vatican you should definitely book a tour. We passed hundreds of people in line waiting to get into the Vatican. We went in a seperate entrance for tours. These people who did not book a tour ended up waiting hours in line. We went in early May- which is in off season. We booked Green Line Tours but there are many.

Comments