3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Costs 45% less but rated 32% lower than other 3.5 star hotels

More about Rome

Another World Class MarketAnother World Class Market

Coach timetableCoach timetable

hudreds of empty bottles and other staff at Teverehudreds of empty bottles and other staff at Tevere

Mosaic blocks in a retaining wallMosaic blocks in a retaining wall

Rome New Year Accomodation

by luqa17

Hi,

Would anyone kindly recommend a good 3* hotel in the city centre (walking distance from main attractions) and away from Termini station?

Thank You.
Ken

Re: Rome New Year Accomodation

by von.otter

Two albergi come to mind. We have passed our vacations at each of them.

The first is my favorite, Albergo del Senato (www.albergodelsenato.it/). This is an excellent hotel. Ask for a room overlooking Piazza della Rotanda and the Pantheon. I could have spent our entire stay just looking out the window, people watching! It is within walking distance of everything. The staff is very helpful. For photos of the place look at my Rome accommodations tips page.

The second hotel is very good as well, and just a short distance from the first. It is Hotel Nazionale (www.hotelnazionale.it). If you get a room facing Piazza Montecitorio it is a nice open view of the Palace of the Chamber of Deputies (this is a very safe area, with many guards protecting the building). You will also be able to see the Column of Marcus Aurelius in Piazza Colonna. If you ask for a room in the rear, get one on a higher floor to have a view of the dome of St. Peter's: just a beautiful sight, it is illuminated at night. We stayed in a rear room with just such a view; it was very quiet. Our bathroom was huge. This location is also within walking distance of everything. And each hotel is nowhere near the Termini.

Enjoy the Eternal City, my favorite in the world.

Travel Tips for Rome

When to visit the Sistine Chapel

by wilocrek

One of the benefits of visiting the Sistine Chapel during the slow season, (Nov. - Mar.) is that they don't limit how long you can visit the Sistine Chapel. During the high season they generally limit groups to about 15 minutes at a time, whereas when I go during the slow season I have been able to spend as much time in the Chapel as I wish. I even am able to sit on the benches along the walls which I didn't even know where there when I visited during the summer as the crowds were too intense. It is a treat to be able to take in the magnificence of the Sistine Chapel on my own clock without being rushed. 15 minute intervals is not nearly enough time to take in such a work of art, so put some consideration to visiting during the winter months.

Opera.....

by msbrandysue

Opera is at the heart of Rome. It is what fills the air.

My first major in college was Opera Performance. It is such a challenging art form that takes so much work (and that's an understatement).

Rome appreciates it. Opera is her baby. And therefore, respect it please.

Yes, in America we laugh at it. It's the grunt of the jokes from American male tv shows. They also make fun of it and talk about how boring it is.

But, this is Rome. You're gonna have to change your attitude and take a step back and realize that power and training that one must have to perform such a pure musical ability. That's right...there are no added machines funneling their voices. This isn't a CD that has been digitally mastered like recording artists.

It's raw.
It's talent.

It's Opera!

Spoleto

by janchan

Spoleto is in Umbria.
The old roman colony of 'Spoletium'.
To see: the castle called 'Rocca Albornoziana'; the Dome built in 1067 over a pre-existing church of IX century; the church of S. Salvatore; the church of St. Eufemia; the tower called 'Torre dell'Olio'; Palazzo Spada with modern art gallery; the bridge of the towers (in the picture); the roman house of 'Vespia Polla' with mosaics and pavements still intact; the monastery of Monteluco (XII century);
For more pictures and infos visit the Travelogue and the specific Spoleto page.

From the U.S. try going through London

by guell

On a trip to Rome from the U.S. you might save money by purchasing a cheap round-trip ticket to London first, and then using the European airfare seller E-Bookers.com to find a cut-rate onward flight to Rome. We would have saved a bundle if we had known this before our trip.

Not the "Peasant Sicilian Cooking" I Remember

by OnTheRoadGoombah about Sicilia...ndo

Sicilia...ndo is a new Sicilian restaurant just south of Piazza di Spagna in Rome. I was looking for a good Sicilian restaurant where I could re-engage with the tastes of my childhood. While I didn't get what I was looking for, I did discover a nice, upscale restaurant with a beautiful terrace dining area. I was hoping to find some dishes that I grew up with, eggplant, putanesca, giambotta, etc -- the peasant food of my parents and grandparents. Instead, Sicialia...ndo is more upscale, and caters to a more "advanced palate." The food was excellent. We started with two appetizers - stewed mussels (very tasty, good portion sized, but mussel meat was small) and mixed fried Sicilian appetizer (tasty, good variation, well presented). After that, my friend got the vermicelli (al dente and tasty as can be) and I opted for the sword fish roulade (extremely tasty, but cold in a few spots). The restaurant caters to the leisurely dining experience, bu we were being a bit of the ugly American as we wished to eat and run out for some night time sightseeing. If you have the tme and wish to spend a leisurely romantic meal, this is a good choice. The swordfish roulade was very good, but I was a bit disappointed as it was cold in the center...perhaps it was pre-made and reheated...I certainly hope not.

Comments